It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• shattered knee?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
    DTsnow
    (male)

DTsnow HB User
    shattered knee?

Yesterday i got injured while playing soccer. I landed right on my knee while sliding (somehow). I continued playing and i didnt felt like something was wrong but once i got home and got cold the pain started. I cant walk properly, pain is very bad and knee looks swollen. I have seen pictures of shattered knees online and mine doesnt look that bad but im not sure if i should go to doc or what. I took aspirin yesterday and it seemed to make the pain more tolerable and i was able to walk limping. Without aspirin i cant walk at all, well i can but extremely slow and limping worse than an injured zombie. My knee doesnt look deformed when it comes to the bones its just swollen and bruised a little. Also when laying down i cant raise my leg at all, i dont know if that means something. So yes is this a shattered knee or no? help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: shattered knee?

Most knee injuries have nothing to do with breaking any bones. The injuries are to what is inside the knee(cartilage and/or ligaments) or to the soft tissue structures around the knee...ligaments and tendons. If you can't raise your leg while lying down, you may have injured or ruptured your patellar ligament that attaches the quardriceps muscle of your thigh to your lower leg. That is a major injury that unless fixed, will make you unable to walk properly for life. You won't be able to straighten your leg completely and it will slowly curl backwards....permanently. And who knows if you got an injury inside too.

So see a doctor ASAP. Preferably go to an Emergency Room as you'll need x-rays and possibly an MRI.

As someone who tore her medial meniscus(cartilage inside the knee) the ACL(anterior cruciate ligament inside the knee) and the medial collateral ligaments (on the inside area of the outside of the knee) and didn't have it attended to for 2 years....the faster you get a knee fixed, the better.

Don't mess around, get it seen and fixed. Knees don't heal well by themselves...I tried that. BIG MISTAKE!.

Jenny

Old 10-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
    DTsnow
    (male)

DTsnow HB User

Thank you Jenny for your insight. I have been doing research online all day and i think i have Prepatellar Bursitis, i looked at pictures online and my knee looks just like the pictures i have seen. I do intend to go to the doctor if i see no improvement within the next 2 days. Specially after reading your post, it scared the *** out of me. I play soccer, basketball, baseball, and just about any sport and the thought of not being able to walk or run properly is extremely sickening. Thank you again .

Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

There is a very large bursa under the patellar ligament called the anserine bursa. It unfortunately is one of the few bursas they can't inject with cortisone. The only way to treat it is rest and possibly immobilizing it. Inflammatory drugs are given for pain. Try ice on it now.

But you need to rule out injury to the patellar ligament. You probably haven't torn the entire thing but even a small or partial tear can mimic bursitis there but the outcome, if not treated properly can be disasterous. Ever seen someone with a torn Achilles tendon? Same but worse. You aggressively treat even a partial tear to prevent a total tear.

Tendons and ligaments don't heal well. And don't even ask me about bursitis. It never seems to go away. You're better off having a ligament injury. At least that will heal and stop hurting.

See a doc and get it evaluated if you want to continue playing sports. I didn't...for 2 years and needed joint replacement for the resulting arthritis in only 10 years...but couldn't have it for at least another 20 years. If you think an injury is frustrating and scary, try walking around in absolutely incredible pain, bone to bone with young kids to chase and you have 2 canes and no prospect for relief for many years to come. That was my reality and that was scary.

Be good to your knees if you want them to be good to you.

Jenny

Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
    DTsnow
    (male)

DTsnow HB User

You like scaring me huh Jenny? But i thank you, because of you i will probably go to a doctor soon. I am one of those persons that avoids going to a doctor, mainly for economic reasons but also because i just dont trust them much. Anyway are you telling me that a prepatellar bursitis is actually worse than a shattered knee? Worse than torn ligaments? Woah... I'm in trouble then.

Today i woke up with slightly less pain, i guess using the crutches has help. Also i did the lay-down test and today i can raise my injured leg and keep it up without pain. But my knee still is swollen. I have a question, using crutches gets the non injured leg extremely tired, is this normal? I have never used crutches so i have no idea if it is normal or how to use them properly, maybe i am using them wrong. Thanks again for your comments Jenny i will keep you posted, and yes i will go a doctor either today or tomorrow.

DT

Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
    DTsnow
    (male)

DTsnow HB User

UPDATE

I finally went to the doctor 2 days ago. The doctor checked my knee and did some movement tests and he said there is no reason to believe there is any damage to any bones or ligaments. I wanted to do MRIs but he insisted not to, he probably insisted because i have no money or insurance! Or maybe he is right, after all all the swelling is gone, and i have regain movement, up down and sides, except when rotating knee when standing. Doc said i probably overstended my knee and that is why i have that pain still. He said to keep resting for another 2 weeks and if i dont heal 100% by then, to go back to the doctor and do MRIs. I feel like im getting better but im not sure. I still cant walk properly, i limp a little and my knee doesnt feel strong. Its as if i havent regain my strenght yet. Also this morning i woke up with some weird pain on the back of my knee, it almost felt like arthritis? but not that painful or bothering. It went right away as soon as i got up and started to move. Should i just go to another doc or wait?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
    jennybyc
    Inactive

Hi again. Glad you saw the doc and yes, hyper-extending can do a lot of damage but in a weird way....it kind of stretches and pulls everything and that takes a lot of time to heal. It's what they call a soft tissue injury.

As for the back of the knee pain, there is another bursa in the back of the knee that becomes a "garbage can" for the knee. Bits of ground up cartilage and other debris collect in that bursa and it swells up. Then they call it a "Baker's Cyst" after the guy who figured out what was going on. Should have been Baker's bursitis but it got erroneously called a cyst and it has stuck. As the body slowly absorbs what is in there, it will go down and the pain will disappear. But it is pretty indicative that you did something to your knee.

Give it a couple more weeks and be aware that an MRI of the knee can cost thousands. And since you are finally starting to heal, you may just want to give it even more time. As long as it is getting steadily better, then leave it alone and just be very careful to not aggravate it for a while.

After scaring you, here is my rationale for saying to give it more time and no MRI. If you get an MRI and find you have a torn meniscus(for example) you don't have the insurance to have it fixed anyhow so why waste the money to find out you have a problem you can't fix. Most problems within the knee joint require some kind of surgery. But yet prior to MRI's these same injuries were treated with lots of rest for the joint and most did quite well with just that. It's "elective surgery"...if you elect to pay and endure it, then have it. If you elect to not spend $10,000, then ride it out. Chances are you won't do too much damage to your knee joint. And if it was a case of hyper-extension, then nothing will show up at all. It's all in the soft tissues around the outside of the knee...soft tissues that take forever to heal up. And if the bursa is inflamed, that can take a long time on top of it.

I wouldn't put yourself in debt....I'd wait longer. See if it heals on it's own. But if it stops progressing....the pain stays and does not slowly fade, then you should consider finding out what is wrong with an MRI. As long as the pain keeps fading, then keep waiting.

Now that wasn't scary was it! Not Halloween yet!

Jenny

Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
    DTsnow
    (male)

DTsnow HB User

Woah Jenny you are a knee expert huh? I think you are so dont be modest! If the doctor had talked to me the way you wrote your message then i would have walked out happy. But he simply refused to let me get an MRI. I would ask him why not? And he would say because I say so, trust me.

I didn't know MRIs are that expensive. And knee surgery 10,000? hmm no comment for that one. Oh and i like the garbage-can intriguing lesson, thanks!

My knee continues to improve. Today i even walked up and down some stairs, very slowly though. I didn't do it because i wanted do i just had to do it. The pain continues to decrease, right now its at a point in which if im busy doing something else i don't really notice it. But so much inactivity made me gain weight! Oh well... Thanks again for your insight and for commenting. I will keep the thread posted.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
    jennybyc
    Inactive

I came by my expertise the hard way. I injured my knee while rock climbing in the Colorado Rockies...got caught in a small rock slide. I was 14. My relatives did nothing for me when I told them and showed them how purple/black my knee was. by the time I got back home, it was no longer bruised so my folks didn't believe me either. I could fall down over a draft of air.

this was the 1960's and the prevailing thought was that only a professional female athlete could do this kind of damage to a knee so it must have been attention seeking behavior. Wonder how many other girls did this to themselves and were destined to a life of pain because their male orthopods thought they could do this. The reality is, women get this type of injury easier than men.

Anyhow, I finally got surgery 2 years later and found out I had torn the ACL, the meniscus and the medial collateral ligaments. All they could do for me was remove the torn meniscus. By the age of 24 I needed a new knee but was told I had wait until at least age 40.

So I set about learning everything I could about knees in order to keep my knee going as long as possible. I made it to age 47 before the knees were replaced and by then, having put most of my weight on the other knee, they were both shot. All in all, I've had 14 knee surgeries so far and I'm looking at the first set of revisions to the replacement knees soon.

I know knees and I know the orthopedic docs too.

Keep me informed as to how you recover and we'll both hope it heals.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    DTsnow (11-05-2010)
    Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
    DTsnow
    (male)

DTsnow HB User

UPDATE!

So its been like a month after my injury and i think i'm all healed up! Ready for more soccer and basketball! I am not sure what the hell happened to my knee but as long as i can continue playing sports without pain i dont care!

I don't know if you will read this Jenny but thank you again for your comments, you really helped me. So thank you so much! It sucks how you became an expert of the knee with such a bad experience in your life but atleast now you share your knowledege with the people who comment on here. I have read other threads here and you comment a lot so that's something positive that came out of your injury . Well that's all i have to say for now, till the next injury!

Old 11-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #11
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Do a see a doctor and get the correct diagnosis.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
    DTsnow
    (male)

DTsnow HB User

I did go to a doctor, did you not read all the entries? But thanks for the concern. Doctor said it was a hyperextended knee and that it would heal within 4-6 weeks. He refused to do MRIs even though i insisted (probably because i don't have insurance). I wanted to rule out any damage because the pain was bad and i couldn't walk right for about 2 weeks. Knee seems fine now but obviously if something happens i will go to a doc and do MRIs even if i have to sell my car or something worth more than 1000 dollars.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #13
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DTsnow View Post
    I did go to a doctor, did you not read all the entries? But thanks for the concern. Doctor said it was a hyperextended knee and that it would heal within 4-6 weeks. He refused to do MRIs even though i insisted (probably because i don't have insurance). I wanted to rule out any damage because the pain was bad and i couldn't walk right for about 2 weeks. Knee seems fine now but obviously if something happens i will go to a doc and do MRIs even if i have to sell my car or something worth more than 1000 dollars.
    Glad you got an answer. My "good" knee was bothing me and the doc did an X-ray and said it was the Patella and would take about two months to feel better - that was in May. It still bothers me. I see him in a week and will see what he has to offer. If nothing, I'm going to look for a voodoo doc.

Closed Thread