It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Husband to have knee replacement this week and very worried.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
    Rainbowlilac
    (female)

Rainbowlilac HB User
    Husband to have knee replacement this week and very worried.

Hi everyone and hope you can help me a little.
    My husband of 58 years is due this Thursday to have a total knee replacement and thinks he will be home in 3/4 days and up and about!!.

His mother passed away 8 days ago and she told him before she died to go ahead with the operation no matter what and not to cancel it!!.

The funeral is next Tuesday and is in a catholic church/burial etc and i know he won't be up to going but hes adamant he is even if he discharges himself!!. I have given up now with him as i too suffer from Fibromyalgia/ME myself and need alot of care too.

I know of two friends last year who had this operation and spoke to them both and said he will not be up to going anywhere or risks severe injury etc.

All this is making me very ill and i would appreciate those who have had this operation some advice etc as what to expect afterwards.
    Thankyou.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
    Rainbowlilac
    (female)

Rainbowlilac HB User
    Re: Husband to have knee replacement this week and very worried.

Oh and he also thinks he will be able to get up stairs and in the car etc after 4/5 days.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Save yourself and him some work and rent him a wheelchair for the funeral....or maybe the funeral home has one her can use. He won't be up and about. He'll be out of the hospital but that is it.

Tell his surgeon what has happened so the surgeon will be able to get him ready and tell him his limits. Overdoing does a lot of damage but few realize it until much later. So get him a wheelchair and make him use it. Have the ortho tell him to use it or he doesn't go home.

He has no idea what kind of pain he is in for and how weak you are after the surgery. I had both done at the same time at 47 and it is a tough surgery. But I can see he won't miss his mother's funeral....so get the wheelchair.

Jenny

Ps. His leg may still be in an immobilizer so it will be "stiff" and getting in and out of the car will be trouble. Just a warning.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I agree with Jenny that the surgeon should know what is happening. While it's likely your husband will be able to attend in a wheelchair everyone has to realize that you never know what can happen in surgery. He could have a tough time, become sick and unable to be discharged on time, have extreme pain and immobility for a few weeks, etc. TKR is tough recovery which your husband may be willing to throw himself into recovery to work through grief at the same time. Any reason he can't move it to the week after the funeral?

Old 11-16-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I was about to say the exact things the others have said. IF he must attend the funeral and I can certainly see his side of that he will need a wheel chair and someone that can help him in and out of the car. No easy task. Most people (me being one) had no idea of what this surgery can do to some. After one year I am still unable to do the things I want.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
    morider
    (male)

morider HB User

My condolences on your loss. I'm 56 and had TKR about 4 months ago. I was in the hospital for 5 days, 2 days longer than most. TKR is major surgery and after 5 days he will be dealing with pain, lingering effects of anesthesia, stiffness, and lack of energy among other things. Riding in the car will be uncomfortable, sitting will be uncomfortable and basic tasks we take for granted are going to be a challenge. Like others have said, he will need a wheelchair and will also need a walker. Yes, they make sure you can go up stairs, but believe me, he won't have the energy level to go up a full flight 5 days out. Riding in the car will be uncomfortable as well. 4 months out and I am still dealing with lack of energy. Both my surgeon and PT have constantly reminded me that it can take up to a year to recover. Keep us posted on his progress.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
    Rainbowlilac
    (female)

Rainbowlilac HB User

Thankyou everyone for the kind words of advice. Its very much appreciated.
    We have things in place as my husband is having his operation tomorrow and he will be using a wheelchair. His surgeon has been informed too of his mums recent death and funeral next week so my mind is now alot more settled.

Thing is i need a wheelchair too so having to smile here at both of us next week.

I don't think he knows of the pain he will be in when he comes round etc so he has actually admitted last night that he may NOT be able to go to the funeral should the operation not be straightforward.

Thanks once again all of you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Rainbowlilac:
    lindy353 (11-17-2010)
    Closed Thread