It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Weird smell after knee replacement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
    taffywilly
    (female)

taffywilly HB User
    Weird smell after knee replacement

I had a total knee replacement surgery 8 weeks ago. About a month ago, I noticed a strange smell in my blankets. It isn't anything like BO, but it annoys me. I stripped my bed, washed everything and sprayed with Fabreeze. The smell keeps coming back. I also smell it on my clothes. I thought is was a medicine odor from the pain killers I took, so I weaned myself off them. I keep smelling this odor! It is driving me nuts. I don't know where the odor is coming from. Could it be caused by my knee replacement? Maybe the actual part, or even the cement used? I never had anything like this happen before.

Last edited by taffywilly; 01-05-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Weird smell after knee replacement

It's the anesthesia. it can take months for the liver to clear out all the chemicals they use to keep you under and in the meantime, some people can not only smell it, but taste it. I am a "smeller" and a "taster". Drives me nuts too.

But I haven't tasted anything from my knee implants so I think those are okay. But I can vouch for smelling and tasting the anesthesia chemicals for months after surgery. I recognize the smell and taste from before surgery...before they put you out completely. I can taste it as it goes in and I can smell it as soon as I'm on the surgical floor. Way too many surgeries to forget it now! I hate it!

It will slowly go away. Keep your liver really healthy....no alcohol...and it will go faster.

good luck.............Jenny(14 knee surgeries and counting)

Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
    taffywilly
    (female)

taffywilly HB User
    Re: Weird smell after knee replacement

Jenny-
    Thanks for the response. I never thought about the anesthesia. They gave me a spinal, which I haven't had since my C-sections. I just knew I wasn't going crazy. I just keep smelling this smell, no matter what I do. I thought it was the pain pills, but I'm glad its not, because I took one the last 2 nights to help me sleep. I will try to be patient, and see what happens. Thanks again.

Closed Thread