It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• MRI result... what does this mean???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
    Ahmedrasheed
    (male)

Ahmedrasheed HB User
    MRI result... what does this mean???

I have been through MRI test for the right knee and i got these 2 results, can anyone please simply explain the meaning of such results?

"PHMM shows an intracapsular signal not reaching the articular surfaces."

"Normal rest of scanned mensci."

Thanks
    Best Regards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: MRI result... what does this mean???

I assume PHMM= Posterior Horn of the Medial Meniscus.

The meniscus is a cup-shaped piece of cartilage that sits on top of your shinbone and helps your knee stay on track. You can probably find a picture somewhere.

The "cup" has high spots and low spots, and the high spots are called the horns. Medial = middle, so it's on the left side of your right knee. Posterior = toward the back.

So, on the inside of the knee, toward the back, there's an irregularity inside the meniscus. Intracapsular means it's not torn. Maybe a cyst or something, I don't know. The report also says the rest of the meniscus is normal. The report didn't mention the size of the area.

Bring the report and the films to your orthopedist, see what he or she has to say. But my personal guess is that this isn't a big deal.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
    Ahmedrasheed
    (male)

Ahmedrasheed HB User
    Re: MRI result... what does this mean???

Thanks a lot.

Closed Thread