It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Total Knee Replacement - am I normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
    cakmaz
    (female)

cakmaz HB User
    Total Knee Replacement - am I normal?

I am 6 days away from 3 months since my right tkr. I still have swelling daily, am in pain with every step and still need pain meds at night. I have not had a decent nights sleep since surgery as I wake up every 2-3 hours. Since returning to work, I cannot take pain meds during the day.
    My question is this - is it normal to still be having swelling and so much pain? I still walk "funny". I try to concentrate on not walking with a limp, but I am not successfull. I just returned to physical therapy this week, I had to stop because ins wouldn't pay for any more visits until January. I am hoping this will get it moving better. I can't straighting it fully which I know is the main reason for the limping. Is the swelling causing it to not straighting or something else? I hear of people having to have revision surgeries and this scars me to death! I do not want another surgery! I did not have any idea this surgery was as painful as it turned out to be - my doctor made it sound like after 6 weeks I'd go back to work and be fine.
    So what I really want to know is - should I still be needing pain meds? Should it still be swelling? Will I ever walk "normal" again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
    lalapamela
    (female)

lalapamela HB Userlalapamela HB User
    Re: Total Knee Replacement - am I normal?

The doctor told ME I'd be fine in 6 weeks. Ha Ha That is not realistic at all. It took me 4 months before I would even say I was beginning to feel better. That is when I went back to substitute teaching, and only one day at a time.

The one thing I do want to tell you is tht your leg WILL straighten out eventually. Mine did spontaneously about 6 months after surgery.

You are a brave sole to go without any pain meds during the day and to work. I was so exhausted I couldn't function.

I am now 10 months from surgery and can do almost everything. I never did get full flexion of my knee. I only got to 115 degrees and that through a hell of a lot of pain and effort. I finished my therapy by doing it myself by going to the Ymca. I used my own common sense on what to do. The elliptical machine is the best. Good luck.

Don't give up. I've learned that everyone heals differently and everyone's results are different. Reading the stories on this forum will help.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
    wildbill7142
    (male)

wildbill7142 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cakmaz View Post
    I am 6 days away from 3 months since my right tkr. I still have swelling daily, am in pain with every step and still need pain meds at night. I have not had a decent nights sleep since surgery as I wake up every 2-3 hours. Since returning to work, I cannot take pain meds during the day.
    My question is this - is it normal to still be having swelling and so much pain? I still walk "funny". I try to concentrate on not walking with a limp, but I am not successfull. I just returned to physical therapy this week, I had to stop because ins wouldn't pay for any more visits until January. I am hoping this will get it moving better. I can't straighting it fully which I know is the main reason for the limping. Is the swelling causing it to not straighting or something else? I hear of people having to have revision surgeries and this scars me to death! I do not want another surgery! I did not have any idea this surgery was as painful as it turned out to be - my doctor made it sound like after 6 weeks I'd go back to work and be fine.
    So what I really want to know is - should I still be needing pain meds? Should it still be swelling? Will I ever walk "normal" again?
    Pain are the devils play groung. I feel guilt when I them..but they make the
    pain go away slightly.'What kind of Range of Motion do you have..

Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
    lalapamela
    (female)

lalapamela HB Userlalapamela HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildbill7142 View Post
    Pain are the devils play groung. I feel guilt when I them..but they make the
    pain go away slightly.'What kind of Range of Motion do you have..
    -------------------------------------------------
    Last time it was checked about 118 degrees. Not great, but I can at least live with it. No pain on walking, but it does affect proper bending, can't put weight on knee etc. I use the elliptical at the Y to keep the knee from freezing up. I'm 9 months into recovery.

Just came back from a trip to Kenya on Safari. Not much walking but tons and tons of sitting and bouncing on bad roads. I survived and took small amounts of pain pills when needed. The bad part was sitting with a bended knee through all of the terrible traveling, including 23 hours sitting on airplane and the bounching Safari Van up to 7 hours at a time.

Best to you. I hope you are recovering well.

Closed Thread