It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• 4 failed tkr's-upcoming 7th surgery ;(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
    beachgirl711
    (female)

beachgirl711 HB User
    Angry 4 failed tkr's-upcoming 7th surgery ;(

Hi,
    I am new to this forum. I do belong to another that I frequent. My story is this. In Aug 2006 I felt my first sign of knee pain. I figured I'd banged it or something. A month later I was referred to an Ortho. He found I had a torn ACL/meniscus which he repaired Nov 06 (right knee). Pain continued and xrays showed bone on bone arthritis (I was 45 yrs). I tried all the methods to avoid a tkr, synvisc shots, pt.. to no avial. By March I was bedridden with pain. In April 2007 I had my RTKR. and as follows... 8/08 TKR Revision (implant loose, ??? why?) While told I had years to go for the left..forget it.. 2/09 LTKR. Pain continued at 1 yr.. so on 9/10 I had a LTK Revision. Right knee still hurting.. told kneecap was maltracking and I may need a second revision (at this point beside myself). Fortunately OS was able to so a Lateral release and not a revision (still had 38 staples but less pain than a revision). Now I learn my left knee is also once again loose.. So I am scheduled for a 2nd LTK revision on 2/15. I am FED UP. My OS who is head of Ortho surgery at a top Boston Hospital is stupmped (makes me feel real good, ya right
    Finally thru my own research I found a site saying that allergy to the metal implant, although very rare, can cause it to become loose. (fortunately I have never had an infection.. been tested too many times to count). So on Jan 17 I have an appt w/ an allergist..by the 19th I will know. I pray that this is the case. I cannot keep going thru surgery year after year. I am now 50 and this will be my 7th knee surgery. It has greatly impeded my quality of life. I have been on pain meds for so long I am petrified my pain will be uncontrolled this next surgery. Does anyone out there know HOW many revisions can really be done on ONE knee in a lifetime? Clearly if this next one fails I am out of luck.. maybe for good.. I am pretty scared.
    Appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks... Kim

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: beachgirl711
    J1310 (01-15-2012),knockneez (01-12-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
    Re: 4 failed tkr's-upcoming 7th surgery ;(

Hi. I'm so sorry for what you've been through with your knees. How did your Drs. appt. go? I've only had one arthroscopic knee surgery in my right knee, but both knees have been hurting lately and they both buckle when I walk. I'll be praying that you find a solution to your knee problems. Hugs, Sue

Old 01-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
    beachgirl711
    (female)

beachgirl711 HB User
    Red face Re: 4 failed tkr's-upcoming 7th surgery ;(

Hi Sue,

Thank you for your kind post. I did get my allergy results and voila.. I am ALLERGIC TO CEMENT!!! The Allergist in practice 38 YEARS has never had a patient before test positive for this particular allergy! Amazing... So it HAS to be the bone cement (an ingredient in it) that has caused me the resistance.. thus loosening every single implant.. VERY rare...
    I did schedule another appt. with another OS at a great Boston hospital called Beth Israel/Deaconess for Feb 3. I am not so happy with my current office (staff) and always feel too rushed by the dr. even though he is brilliant. I mean he even had NO clue as to why I was having these repeated failures.. I would just think an OS with umpteen yrs of schooling then practice would have at least learned of it if not see it firsthand? No? Glad I can teach the medical community a thing or two
    Take care... Best of luck to YOU!!!
    Kim

Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
    Re: 4 failed tkr's-upcoming 7th surgery ;(

Hi Kim,
    I'm glad your found out about your allergy to cement. There are a lot of ignorant Drs., unfortunately. I wish you well with the next Dr. and hope you'll soon be painfree. Sue

Closed Thread