It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• knee spasms/sharp pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
    missalyssa
    (female)

missalyssa HB User
    knee spasms/sharp pain

hi, im 16 and ive had several issues with my knees in the past. my tendons and ligaments in my knees are extremely over stretched and loose. ive had several subluxed patellas in my left knee mostly. im active in sports and i have a c brace that keeps my knee in for the most part. but for the past few ive had these strange spasms in my knee where they involuntarily tweak and cause sharp pain. it only occurs in my left knee and what seems at random moments. it happened about once every few weeks for about 5 seconds, but recently they've become stronger and longer up to 15 minutes of spasms. you can actually see my knee contracting. its quite painful as well as uncomfortable. it almost feels as if its trying to sublux on its own.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
    ldy12
    Inactive
    (female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User
    Re: knee spasms/sharp pain

Hi missalyssa,

Since you are very active in HS team sports, it is VERY COMMON for girls your age to develop a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament). Have your parents take you to your primary doctor and ask him to send you to an Orthopedic surgeon who deals with sports medicine, particularly for teens. The Ortho surgeon will probably send you for an MRI (which is more accurate than x-rays) in determining the exact cause of your knee pain. I'm willing to bet that he will tell you your ACL is torn and you will probably need surgery to repair it, and then re-hab. And, sorry to disappoint you, but I believe the rehab for post ACL repair surgery can take up to 6 weeks.

I'm a middle aged lady who had her right knee replaced last April (4/5/11). About a month before that surgery, I developed a compensating tear in my left knee of both the medial meniscus AND the ACL! My surgeon did an arthroscopic repair of both in the left knee during the same surgery as my right TKR. Unfortunately, through no fault of his skilled repair, eight months later, my left knee was causing me bad pain again. My surgeon determined via x-ray, that the severe osteoarthritis that I had in both knees (prior to the right TKR), had COMPLETELY worn away my cartilage AND my ACL, and that I needed a total replacement of the left knee this past March!

If you do find out from an Orthopedic surgeon that your ACL IS torn, your surgery will be A LOT SIMPLER than my knee replacement surgeries and, given your youth, your recovery time should be relatively quick. (AS LONG AS YOU DO EVERYTHING THE SURGEON ASKS OF YOU POST SURGERY FOR RE-HAB!!!)

Good luck and let me know whether I was right on this! I hope you get this fixed and are back on the playing field ASAP!!!

Regards,
    Carol (2012 carol)

Closed Thread