It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Gluteus Maximus Tendon Transfer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
    nesnews
    (female)

nesnews HB User
    Gluteus Maximus Tendon Transfer

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has had a GMTT or something similar. I have had my Gluteus Minimus and Medius repaired and both have failed. My surgeon is planning on a Gluteus Maximus Tendon Transfer as a last resort. I would love to hear from anyone with thoughts on this procedure. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
    Atalanta
    (female)

Atalanta HB User
    Re: Gluteus Maximus Tendon Transfer

I know this thread is old, but if by any chance you are still reading it, could I ask if you had this procedure? I am trying to figure out where to go myself after a failed repair. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
    nesnews
    (female)

nesnews HB User

Hi Atalanta
    I have just returned from hospital in Western Australia after having a tendon transfer
    on September 2013.
    My surgeon has said it was a complete success but the recovery programme is long and slow. I have been on a walking frame for five weeks and will move to double elbow crutches for another five weeks. After two failed gluteus medius repairs which both failed I am pleased this one is a success. The surgeon who did the tendon transfer is not the surgeon who did the two previous operations.
    I did not feel I could continue not been able to walk with out a walking stick or crutches for the rest of my life,so for me the only answer was to go ahead and try for the tendon transfer. I wish you all the best whatever path you choose
    Regards Nesnews

Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
    Atalanta
    (female)

Atalanta HB User

Nesnews,

I feel so lucky that you answered. Thank you. It's almost impossible to find information on this subject.

I've had one failed attempt, and the MRI that has just come back looks substantially worse than the pre-surgical one. This problem has been there for a long time and I'm very skeptical that a second try will hold up any better. Especially because the new MRI shows a lot of atrophy.

May I stay in touch with you? It would be very helpful.

All good wishes for your own recovery. The weight bearing restrictions are quite a nuisance, aren't they?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
    nesnews
    (female)

nesnews HB User

Hi Atalanta

I am happy to keep in touch with you. It is awful not knowing what path to take to improve your life style. In January of 2013 I had an MRI. The findings on that were
    The appearances are consistent with re rupture of the gluteus medius and minimus tendons with tendon retractions and muscle atrophy. I had surgery on the 20th of August and even though I feel very weak and lethargic I am able to move around the house and really feel the surgery of the tendon transfer has been successful.
    Are you in Western Australia or even Australia ? I do wish I was able to help you more.
    Regards
    Nesnews

Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
    Atalanta
    (female)

Atalanta HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nesnews View Post
    Hi Atalanta

I am happy to keep in touch with you. It is awful not knowing what path to take to improve your life style. In January of 2013 I had an MRI. The findings on that were
    The appearances are consistent with re rupture of the gluteus medius and minimus tendons with tendon retractions and muscle atrophy. I had surgery on the 20th of August and even though I feel very weak and lethargic I am able to move around the house and really feel the surgery of the tendon transfer has been successful.
    Are you in Western Australia or even Australia ? I do wish I was able to help you more.
    Regards
    Nesnews
    Thanks, Nesnews. Unfortunately, I'm in the US (North Carolina), so that's a bit of a distance. I've had one repair in April, which has failed. Lots of "fatty atrophy" in the report, which the orthopaedic surgeon is quite blithe about. Me, not so much, since it squares with my own sensations. (I haven't discussed this with him yet.) Can you tell me anything about atrophy? It's very confusing when you go online--I can't tell if we're talking about irreversible replacement of muscle tissue by fat, or "flab" that can be reversed.

I hope your weakness and lethargy are "just" the anaesthesia and inactivity. Won't give you any pep talks; just hope you have the help you need to be comfortable at home while you recover.

Atalanta

Old 10-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
    Atalanta
    (female)

Atalanta HB User

Hello again, Nesnews. How are you doing? I've been hoping to hear you're improving.

My own surgery is scheduled for Nov. 15th. This is going to be open; the one that just failed was arthroscopic. I've told the surgeon I look upon it as a stepping point before a muscle transfer, since I don't believe the gluteus medius will come back. Maybe I'm just afraid to hope it will work out. (Or reaching the point where I just want to get on his nerves.)

Please let me know how you're doing.

Atalanta

Old 10-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
    candyg920
    (female)

candyg920 HB User

Hello, I am new to boards. So I will start here. I had a tendon repair, open method, one year ago. I went back to physical therapy after one year. The muscle is still small. It is painful to do exercises. PT suggested heat. Recover has been long I was afraid to have surgery one year ago but was glad I did have it. I dont think it made sense to be afraid of the surgery itself. It appears the tendon surgery was successful but I do have some tendonitis. I can't walk very far yet. Thanks Just wanted to let you know it has been a difficult recovery. My pain started a few years ago afte an accidedent.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
    Atalanta
    (female)

Atalanta HB User

Hi Candyg920. Sounds like you're not having much fun there. Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope the pace of your recovery will pick up. Atalanta

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
    Atalanta
    (female)

Atalanta HB User

Happy New Year, Nesnews. It's been a while. How are you doing? I hope the surgery has worked for you.

As for me, I seem to be on the road to a second failure. The repair may well hold up this time, but the muscle has atrophied quite a bit. I would love to know if you think a transfer is worth considering.

Thanks, and all good wishes for 2014.

Atalanta

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nesnews View Post
    Hi Atalanta

Regards
    Nesnews

Old 05-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
    Atalanta
    (female)

Atalanta HB User

Hi. Don't give up hope.

There are two procedures being discussed on this board. Nesnews and I both had gluteus medius tears repaired. The repairs failed, so she went on to have a procedure where other muscles in the hip are trafsferred (moved around) to compensate for the gluteus medius.

Candy is one step behind Nesnews and me. She had the repair surgery.

Which are you interested in? As far as I know, most orthopaedic surgeons would not consider the transfer until they had tried the repair.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #12
    hopeless45
    (female)

hopeless45 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
    Hi. Don't give up hope.

There are two procedures being discussed on this board. Nesnews and I both had gluteus medius tears repaired. The repairs failed, so she went on to have a procedure where other muscles in the hip are trafsferred (moved around) to compensate for the gluteus medius.

Candy is one step behind Nesnews and me. She had the repair surgery.

Which are you interested in? As far as I know, most orthopaedic surgeons would not consider the transfer until they had tried the repair.
    HI - I have a small gluteus medius tear on one hip and I'm in a lot of pain but I'm not limping I just can't sleep on that side and the other hip I had developed pertendinitous and gluteal tendinopathy due to laying on the other hip for so many years. Both hips are very painful and I cannot sleep on them. Sleeping has been horrible. I'm looking into surgery just in case things get worse but I can't imagine that happening. I'm now considering *** injections and not sure if you've heard about it. May I ask you how big was your tear and was it only to one hip. Also why was the surgery not successful? I'm sure there are only a few surgeons who are good at that procedure. Did you have open or arthroscopic? I do hope you are feeling better and that things work out well for you! Best, Lynn

Last edited by Administrator; 06-07-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #13
    Atalanta
    (female)

Atalanta HB User

Lynn,

Sounds awful! In answer to your questions, The tear was on once side. The muscle was completely off the bone. The surgery successfully reattached it, but it was so atrophied from disuse that it didn't function. I'm planning to have the transfer nesnews had shortly. I've heard of *** but don't know anything about it. My surgeon is another one of the group who'll keep coming up if you google hip, etc. All of these guys can do the procedure; it comes down to location, insurance, and whether you feel comfortable with the person.
    Atalanta

Last edited by Administrator; 06-07-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:23 AM   #14
    aljoneill
    (male)

aljoneill HB User

Hi nesnews and everyone,

After years of thinking my dad was going to require a hip replacement at some stage, we've discovered he's actually got a completely torn gluteus medius with retraction.
    He's always had trouble with his "hip" but from what I've read, it looks like he was getting "persistent pain mimicing trochanteric bursitis".
    As the pain was so high and deep into his hip, he had never had the glute muscles scanned so unfortunately, he's gone a long time with this issue which has become increasing bad of late.

Cheers

Last edited by Administrator; 06-07-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    buttocks pain, gluteus medius tear, tendon transfer