It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Pain 3 months after partial meniscectomy.. need help

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
    cynthiab2711
    (female)

cynthiab2711 HB User
    Angry Pain 3 months after partial meniscectomy.. need help

I had a lt knee lateral partial meniscectomy or shall I say something called a "clean up". There was hardly anything removed just shaved it up so wasn't catching in knee. Anyways that was 3 months ago after I had injured it almost 6 months ago. I did extensive therapy afterwards.. everything was going just fine until about a month ago. Then it started going down hill again. I now have pain on that lateral side again and swelling in my knee and ankles (in witch I have never had before). I do therapy at home at least twice a day and started therapy again for pain control. I'm not sure if I retore it. And has anyone else had a retear after having this done? I started again on pain meds. It hurts so bad to straighten out my leg, but I can bend it back just fine. I didn't have any clicking or popping after surgery but that has since came back. Just very frustrated. I'm ready for all this to be over with. I've now started to get pain in my knee cap and that shoots down my leg. I went back for my last post op visit and had a cortisone shot in knee in witch had did nothing at all. I go back to the doctor this coming Monday. I have been calling then like crazy trying to get into them sooner to see if there is something they could do.. but no I have to wait. I just wish I knew if this is a pain I have to deal with or what. I do have arthritis in my knees in witch I have already known about, but this pain is not related to that. Every time I walk or step wrong I get that sharp pain back again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
    barbjean13
    (female)

barbjean13 HB User
    Re: Pain 3 months after partial meniscectomy.. need help

Hi, I had something very similar happen. Had a menicus tear fixed January 2012. Still continued to have problems and had it redone in September. I don't know if it retore or if it was never fixed properly to begin with. I regret having either done because it has really made a mess of my knee. Like you, I can flex it, but not extend it fully. Lots of grinding sounds now which I never had before. When you can't walk with full extension, it throws everything else off and now I have hip/back problems on the other side. Now they are telling me I need a TKR. I am holding off on it. Just got a special brace called an uploader which puts the pressure on the strong part of the knee. Like you, I have problems with the lateral side. Always swollen. Very weak when I rise up from sitting or sleeping. The brace seems to help a little. Before having the second repair, I had advice from one ortho who said not to do it again because it hastens arthritis. Wish so much I had listened. I feel for what you are going through. Take care, Barb

Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
    cynthiab2711
    (female)

cynthiab2711 HB User

I already had arthritis in my knee from some previous injury years ago. Was not told that it would get worse. Only thing I was told after surgery was that some day I would need a tkr. I'm hoping that day is a long ways down the road. Had another MRI this month and they found no new tear but a lot of fluid around old spot. Also had found a bone bruise. Am released to go back to work full duty. Was told it takes several months to heal. But if this bone bruise happened when I fell down the stairs that was in April. So I would have thought it would be healing by now. Did you have a second tear then?

Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
    barbjean13
    (female)

barbjean13 HB User

Cynthia, were you able to get into the doctor again? With mine, I am not sure if it was a new tear or not. On my first MRI, the tear did not even show up. Your pain does sound related to the tear and the swelling you have rather than the arthritis. Is your leg extension any better? My GP told me it could take up to 6 months after the arthroscopy to feel better, but I am 61, so that could be why. Good luck with it. Hope it can get resolved. Barb

Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
    cynthiab2711
    (female)

cynthiab2711 HB User

As with mine the first mri didn't even show a tear but with all the signs he had thought I had a tear but waited a long time for surgery. I was doing great after surgery no pain no nothing and felt like I could run and run. And then something happened not sure what and the pain is back in the very same area. This time it was much worse then before. He wanted a MRI again to see if I had done something he was hoping for just a bone bruise and sure enough that's what showed up on my MRI was a bone bruise with a stress fracture. I had MRI in June and they are relating this to a fall I had in april. It still hurts like heck though and I was working 6 hours shifts and was hard enough to make it though 6 hours but after finding out I had a bone bruise I was released back to full duty. I'm a CNA so a lot of lifting is involved with my job. I'm only 28 yrs old. I guess I think of another lady I had worked with who had the same surgery after I did and she went back to work 2 weeks post op and she is doing great. I was never told that this would be a long thing for healing. All of this all happened in Dec 2012 and had surgery March 3rd.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
    barbjean13
    (female)

barbjean13 HB User

So is the doctor telling you to just give it time for the stress fracture to heal? I had one years ago and know it was pretty painful. Must be hard with a job where you are on your feet. What is a CNA? Barb

Old 07-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
    Marem
    (female)

Marem HB User

I had a partial meniscectomy on my medial side after MRI showed a tear. It was a long recovery. The procedure made the arthritis worse. I was told that I would need a replacement in the future, about 3 years later, it retore again, the pain was terrible and was unable to walk without crutches. I had a partial knee replacement about 9 months ago, they did not want to a total because I was in my 50's. I will eventually have it done in the future. Good luck to you.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
    Silver Swan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barbjean13 View Post
    So is the doctor telling you to just give it time for the stress fracture to heal? I had one years ago and know it was pretty painful. Must be hard with a job where you are on your feet. What is a CNA? Barb
    Hi Barb:

A CNA is a Certified Nursing Assistant. I looked it up to be sure!

The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Swan For This Useful Post:
    barbjean13 (07-04-2013)
    Old 07-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
    cynthiab2711
    (female)

cynthiab2711 HB User

Yes that is what I do, My job entails A LOT of lifting more then 50 lbs. I lift people. I work in a nursing home. That is how I injured my knee in the first place. Yes I was told to just give it time to heal but was released back to full duty at my job. Working 80 hours every 2 weeks. Not sure how it will heal if Im working full time. Trust me I want to work cause I need the money, but I also want my knee to me healed because I go back to work. I have asked my work comp for a second doctor. Now just waiting to hear back on when that new apt is. I don't think I can work in pain for another 2 months. By the end of my shift my ankle and foot are swollen and ibuprofen doesn't even hit the pain. And I just HATE taking pain pills cause it makes me sick and can't sleep. I guess now that I know what it is but things state other wise on my MRI that I had found out. I hope a second doctor will tell me something different as long as its not surgery. I surely don't want to go though that again.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #10
    TTau
    (female)

TTau HB User

I Was injured at work in spring 2013, had the same surgery done in June 2014, still no sensation on right side of knee, constant popping that hurts like hell, I hate to have anything touching on that side of knee , stabbing and burning sensation also, ankle and leg also swells up, I have pain shooting from knee down into leg and ankle, backside of knee is also swollen and painful, Did physical therapy for awhile. Just made the swelling and pain worst, Tired of taking pain mess and living on 500 dollars a week. 30 yrs old need some answers the doctor is not helping, tired of going back every 3 months to see him and the companies I.M.E!!! Any info will help!! Thank you in advance!!! Just want to get back to my normal life!!

Last edited by TTau; 11-17-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Reply Reply