It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Foot Drop

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
    jen5584
    (female)

jen5584 HB User
    Post Foot Drop

Hi all! I am new to this and still learning so please forgive me if I make a mistake. I am 28 years old and live in Kentucky. I had a Left Total Hip Replacement in March of this year (2013). I developed Foot Drop after my surgery. My doctor pulled my leg down 2 1/2 inches because of length discrepancy with the CHD I had. I was that much shorter on my left side. I know a little about this horrible curse, but not a whole lot. Has anyone got back complete feeling/some feeling? I was told 12-24 months. I do wear an AFO and I can walk using my walking stick. My left leg on the outside (from my knee down) is numb and so is the top of my toes down to the ends of my toes. I have horrible pain, cramps. I am on meds but they hardly work anymore. Will this ever end? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
    Thumperze
    (male)

Thumperze HB User
    Re: Foot Drop

Hi Jen. I am sorry to hear of your problems with foot drop. I also have foot drop but it is caused from spinal stenosis so I don.t know if I could help you. But I would post your concern and explain what you have on the Back Message board. There is some people there that could give you some better advice. Take care.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
    katrae
    (female)

katrae HB User

Hi Jen. I'm also in KY with a THR (total hip replacement). Surgery was last year in Bowling Green, I was 67; small female in decent physical health (1.5 years ago). Best I can understand my drop foot came from a stretched nerve, even though surgeon said I was only on the "table" an hour. I'd been a runner for several years and developed nerve problems bad enough to even stop short walks because of pain. I was so messed up couldn't even think about being astride a horse. So went into this surgery very apprehensive. I am better for it, but the drop foot has been an awful curse.

I take Neurontin three times a day for the drop foot pain/tingling, it has helped. I can wear certain sandals at times but better off using my soft ankle brace with tennis shoes for things like shopping. I've had two EMG tests in the last 1.5 years. There has been improvement, no more cane. (However the drop foot has put tremendous strain on my other hip and it's now going bad.) Feel my balance will never be right and always vigilant of my walking so as not to fall.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jen5584 View Post
    Hi all! I am new to this and still learning so please forgive me if I make a mistake. I am 28 years old and live in Kentucky. I had a Left Total Hip Replacement in March of this year (2013). I developed Foot Drop after my surgery. My doctor pulled my leg down 2 1/2 inches because of length discrepancy with the CHD I had. I was that much shorter on my left side. I know a little about this horrible curse, but not a whole lot. Has anyone got back complete feeling/some feeling? I was told 12-24 months. I do wear an AFO and I can walk using my walking stick. My left leg on the outside (from my knee down) is numb and so is the top of my toes down to the ends of my toes. I have horrible pain, cramps. I am on meds but they hardly work anymore. Will this ever end? Thanks.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
    alon355
    (female)

alon355 HB User

i am really very sorry to hear this all... Get well soon!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
    drop foot, foot drop, peroneal nerve