It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• 9 weeks post op TKR and MUA question

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
    lalyfa
    (female)

lalyfa HB User
    9 weeks post op TKR and MUA question

Hi,
    I am 9 weeks post op TKR and have only reached flexion of 105 degrees. My doctor is not happy and wanted me at 120 degrees a month ago. When I have an appointment with him, he bends my knee to the point that I am literally screaming and ready to jump off the table. He does not stop when I ask him and tells me to quiet down and take deep breaths. He has called my therapist and told her to be very aggressive with me which she has. All this doesn't seem to do me any good in fact, after therapy and the office visits I can hardly walk for 2 days. My doctor also refuses to give me any pain meds for the last 6 weeks.

Now he is telling me that if I don't reach 120 degrees flexion within the next week and a half, he wants to do an MUA. I really don't want to do this because I had blood clots with the TKR surgery and am afraid it will happen again plus I just am not convinced the MUA will help.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, opinions and suggestions of experience.

Also, Is there anything else I can do to break up the scar tissue other than my normal exercises that I've been doing?

Lalyfa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
    Squaretop
    (male)

Squaretop HB User
    Re: 9 weeks post op TKR and MUA question

I just answered this the other day speaking about my wife's situation. They wanted to put her in the OR and under general anesthesia break through the scar tissue.
    Well after taking Oxycontin she had the therapist break through the scar tissue. She literally screamed into the pillow and felt nauseous afterward, but it did the trick. She actually heard the scar tissue give way. You are at nine weeks, getting close to the time where the scar tissue is so mature that there is a risk of fracturing the femur when trying to break it apart. Perhaps the doctor could prescribe some pain meds just for that day or for a couple of days. How is your walking at 105 degrees? Going down stairs? Riding a bike? If all of these are ok perhaps 105 is enough. But most doctors would disagree. 120 is definitely the gold standard.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
    Squaretop
    (male)

Squaretop HB User
    Re: 9 weeks post op TKR and MUA question

ps. The MUA should most certainly do the trick. Talk to your doctor about the risk of blood clots, but that doesn't seem like a concern to me. It takes five minutes. They put you out so you don't feel the pain. But after 10 weeks, 12 at the most I don't think that is an option anymore. Ask your doctor.

Reply Reply

Tags
    mua, tkr