It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• History of anorexia/amenorrhea & Joint Issues

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
    miriamrose
    (female)

miriamrose HB User
    History of anorexia/amenorrhea & Joint Issues

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone else here has a history of eating disorders and/or amenorrhea, or knows anything about possible connections between those two and joint issues later in life.

I'm 23 and have been suffering from knee and hip pain on my right side, which is keeping me from walking normally or for long distances and has completely sidelined my running. I believe this started as a running injury. I run about 15-20 miles a week. Recently I realized I needed to replace my running shoes, so I'm sure using old shoes had something to do with it too. But, after two weeks off from running and trying to walk a minimal amount, the pain is still bad and getting worse.

I saw an orthopedic dr. who suspected a stress fracture in my hip. X-rays didn't show much evidence of this, but I'm waiting to see what the MRI of my pelvis suggests. He did not do a work-up of my knee, which I think was an oversight.

What I'm wondering now is whether my history of disordered eating and amenorrhea as a teenager has contributed to my current joint issues. I know that amenorrhea and anorexia can cause loss of bone mass and long-term bone density issues, but I don't know if that's what's happening here. I was never diagnosed anorexic, because I did not lose 15% of my body weight (I was on the low end of healthy to begin with). But, I restricted my eating for much of high school, and had periodic relapses throughout college. I had amenorrhea for two years in high school. I've also had an IUD since I was 20, which means I haven't had regular periods in my early 20s either.

I don't know if my disordered eating was severe enough to cause long-term joint consequences. Has anyone else here suffered from EDNOS or similar issues? Any one with more medical knowledge able to weigh in?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    amenorrhea, eating disorder, hip, knee