It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• New to knee pain!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
    wendya2J
    (female)

wendya2J HB User
    New to knee pain!

Hi!
    I have had 2 traumatic brain injuries this year, both resulting in altered gait problems for a while. Most recent one in September, left me with a foot drop on the left, and my toe caught all the time so I would hike up and bear more weight on the right leg. After inpatient rehab, I had home care where we got a better gait pattern, however in doing single leg squats for strengthening, my right knee began making a grinding sound and hurting. Eventually my knee became swollen, and really hurt above and to the inside of my right kneecap. I also had some bruising discoloration, although I don't remember a fall ( memory isn't so great right now though). Went to Ortho, and he diagnosed me with arthritis under the kneecap a bone bruise and gave me a shot of cortisone. Bringing me back in 4 weeks after the shot. Grinding noise continues as does pain and some swelling. My kneecap feels squishy?? Like not like a waterbed, more like a gel pad...lol..the area right above my knee is so sore, even to the touch,,,it also feels kinda raised or thicker than my other knee right there?? What do you guys think?

I should also mention that I am a 45 year old pediatric occupational therapist who has spent 23 years getting up and down off the floor, transferring patients, working in a hospital on my feet. Never had any trouble at all before my TBI though. He did mention scoping? MRI ? What would this be for?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to some help since I'm new to this knee stuff! What kinds of questions should I ask the Dr? I've also been wearing a little knee brace, and using a walker since my balance isn't restored yet from the TBI.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: New to knee pain!

Did your drop foot go away?

Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
    wendya2J
    (female)

wendya2J HB User
    Re: New to knee pain!

Yes it did thank goodness. Still a little bit of proprioceptive issues, but pretty good!

Reply Reply

Tags
    cortisone injection, grinding noise, knee pain, tbi