It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

Hip back groin leg pain

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
SAINTPHILLY
(male)

SAINTPHILLY HB User
Hip back groin leg pain

Please help guys I'm in need of opinions..

About 2 months ago I noticed a sharp twinge in my groin area which developed into adult ache towards my pelvis. Tended to be worse when sitting. After 1 week the pain was at its worst and I felt quite unwell had a low grade fever. No problems peeing, no bleeding or swelling.

The doc suspected a UTI and gave me antibiotics which didn't really work because it was later found that there was no infection. The discomfort continued the next few weeks and I noticed some lower back pain, thigh pain, irregular bowel movements (possibly all the pain killers), minor abdominal pains, burning sensation in back of thighs for no apparent reason and a general feeling of being unwell when the pains worse.

I went to the sexual health clinic for full range of tests all negative. At that point went back to the docs and he said the problem was probably muscle-skeletal issue. He wants me to go for physio. I've got a history of trapped nerves. Had a suspected one in my neck for 2 years although I've never been scanned.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I feel more myself thesedays but still getting bouts of pelvic and middle back pain sometimes with under arm twinges. When the pain is around the pelvis I get a sicky nausea feeling as well and need to lie down.

The following user gives a hug of support to SAINTPHILLY:
movielover40 (02-06-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
JanieBB
(female)

JanieBB HB User
Re: Hip back groin leg pain

Have you had-rays to have your hips checked? I just had a hip replacement and groin pain was a symptom of mine. My right hip really hurt but my thighs and calves hurt and burned too. I was so miserable. I saw 3 orthos. One said I just wanted drugs (I hate them), one said bursitis and one said hip replacement. I was so confused and in so much pain. I ended up in the ER four times and knew I had to so something. I KNEW I didn't want drugs, I KNEW it wasn't bursitis because it was getting worse and I had been this way over a year so I went back to the ortho who wanted to do the hip replacement. She knew I had fallen over a year ago and felt I injured my hip. She said I had "edema" (fluid) in my hip bones) and arthritis.
I waited 3 more months then decided on the surgery. It was not fun but the pain is better. She told me I would be 80% better and she was right. I still have days I don't feel too well but not as often as I did. I also have to have a knee replacement the end of the year. UGH! lol
I have never heard of trapped nerves but she did give me Gabapentin for nerve pain in my legs and it helps a lot.
Have they checked for slipped discs in your back using an MRI? Also, have you had a nerve conduction test?
I know all this is confusing. We didn't know what to do but knew we had to find the right dr. This ortho is wonderful. I knew pretty much right away she was the dr, I needed. The other 2 were ridiculous. I was very uncomfortable with them but this one is so nice and very competent. She did not pressure me and was very supportive through all of this. I felt safe in her hands and my husband liked her also.
During this time almost everyone was so wonderful to me. I did have a few drs. and nurses who were very unkind but I kept reminding myself that I was paying THEM to help me. If they weren't nice, I asked for another ER dr and/or nurse.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Rich in WI
(male)

Rich in WI HB User

That's exactly how & where my pain started. After x-rays & MRI, I need a hip. Last week I got an injection to help ease pain until surgery (about 6 weeks out) and that has helped a lot. It beats loading my stomach with Aleve and Tylenol.

Get X-rays; good luck.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
jilas
(female)

jilas HB User

I have just had a full right hip replacement in mid-October 2013. Prior to surgery I also had severe groin , back pain and what I called apinched nerve. Since I also have arthritis and known knee issues I assumed my knees were the problem. They The doctor and physical therapists looked at all my joints very closely and determined it was my hip that was the issue. It was far worse than my knees. Unfortunately hip and knee problems go together many times. Looking at all the joints at once is the only way to see what is really going on especialy if you have more than one thing going on at once; which I did. My bad gait from walking for a long time with joint issues caused my severe pain in my groin, back, thigh muscles, calf muscles and nerve problems. I am still dealing with correcting these issue along with the hip replacment in Physical Therapy. If you are walking badly in pain for a long time and your gait is off you can cause nerve issues. Prior to my surgery I had a Physical Therapist who did alot of manual deep tissue massage and lymph node release massage. This helped the nerves, groin and back pain for periods of time. Since my hip did need to be replaced, surgery was necessary for me. I have been told it will take 6 months for my muscles, nerves and gait to improve to the point that is necessary for recovery. Being in pian and walking badly for a long time takes lots of exercise and time to correct.

Reply Reply

Tags
back ache, groin pain, nausea, pelvic pain