It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Why still excruciating pain in my knee?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
    frustratedsoul
    (female)

frustratedsoul HB User
    Unhappy Why still excruciating pain in my knee?

Hi,
    I'm new in here but looking for any help, I had a skiing accident back in middle of Jan where I fell and landed with both legs pointing outwards (bit like bambi on ice) I heard a pop/crack and when I came home next day had xrays Etc, no fractures thankfully, I've been off work for almost 5 weeks, receiving only sick pay to which we are struggling. I've tried going back to work but the pain prevents me from being able to do my usual walk to work, walking the dog Etc. The pain is still waking me up thru the night and I have had to again call work sick due to intense pain today. I've been for Physio today where he told me ( from MRI) I don't have a meniscus tear or any tearing to the MCL which was previously thought. I do, however, have 2 cysts behind my patella and several fissures on inside of patella. I am still in so much pain and through the night often crying with the pain. I can do 'normal' activities for a couple days max then the pain starts again and I have to rest it or I'm up all night with the pain.
    Can anyone shed any light on why I am getting so much pain when there doesn't seem to be significant damage done? Or any similar stories and how long for recovery maybe?
    Thank you for reading I'm so frustrated at times I could scream

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
    laceygirl
    (female)

laceygirl HB User
    Re: Why still excruciating pain in my knee?

You need to see an ortho doctor and ask them if scoping it would help. I was kicked by a horse 8 years ago and had the same mri results except mine didn't show anything but a microfracture to the end of the femur bone. I was on crutches for 7 weeks, then pt. Seemed to get a little better then had the first scope. Didn't find much and continued to go to doctor's for 3 or 4 years. Had another scope in 2011 and they scraped the underside of kneecap (arthritis) and tried to burn nerves thinking it was nerve damage. Now, in the last year and half have seen 4 doctors again as the pain is unbearable again. Have been to chronic pain clinic also. 2 of the 4 doctors say 2 different surgeries and 2 say there is nothing they can do. Obviously, something is causing the horrible pain you are going through and you just need to keep seeing doctors until you find the right one that can help. Took me 6 years to find one doctor that was willing to try and figure it out instead of just trying to put me on numerous drugs that I wouldn't take because I didn't want to be a zombie all day! Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon? I am kind of in the same situation, planning my day on how much my knee hurts! It is no way to live. Yours is still fairly recent and hopefully they will be able to fix it. Some of the doctors tell me that when you have severe trauma to a joint, your brain will keep telling you that your joint still hurts but I think that is only after an extended period of time. Talk to some people in your area and find out who the best ortho doctor is around. I have to drive 250 miles to the one I found but at least he is trying to figure it out. Have they given you any pain medication? I am at the point where I just feel beaten down because I can't get one answer that will give me some hope that this can be fixed and I won't have to live the rest of my life like this. I am a very active person and not being able to do things can be really depressing. I hope you can get help soon so you don't have to live with this for very long. Don't give up until you have exhausted all of your options! Hope this helps a little

Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
    frustratedsoul
    (female)

frustratedsoul HB User

Thank you Laceygirl, yes seeing my ortho again in 4 weeks, my 1st app she was almost positive I had a meniscus tear but it seems this isn't the case, I have had a few days of moderate pain where I have been able to go to work and just about function normally but today the pain is so severe I'm on total leg rest. Not sure why the pain is fluctuating so much? I have only been given codeine but I'm not really a tablet taker and only tend to take them when I need them I.e at night. Thankfully I have a fantastic GP who has been so supportive and understanding and she has pushed for an earlier app with the ortho so hopefully will get in a bit quicker. I'm sorry to hear you have had problems for such a long time but I'm pleased your now getting sorted. It's just so soul destroying when your normally active and all of a sudden your off your feet. I went back to work because I was also getting depressed but sometimes the pain, like today, makes it impossible.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
    laceygirl
    (female)

laceygirl HB User

You will have to let me know how your appointment turns out. I really hope they can help you soon. I was still able to be fairly active for about the first 5 years. I would have more good days than bad days now it is the complete opposite. I am meeting with my main ortho doctor in April to finally get some answers if there is going to be surgery or if this is something I will have to live with for the rest of my life.
    I don't like the pain meds either but without them, I would not get out of bed because of the pain.
    Just don't let them push you off and tell you that they don't know what is wrong with you. Keep pushing for more tests......there are more than just an MRI! Like I said before, your injury is still fairly new and there is hope that it could be fixed so please don't give up. You know your body better than any doctor. I wish I wouldn't have given up because I think my problem could have been treated accordingly if I would have just insisted that they do further testing. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
    laceygirl
    (female)

laceygirl HB User

You will have to let me know how your appointment turns out. I really hope they can help you soon. I was still able to be fairly active for about the first 5 years. I would have more good days than bad days now it is the complete opposite. I am meeting with my main ortho doctor in April to finally get some answers if there is going to be surgery or if this is something I will have to live with for the rest of my life.
    I don't like the pain meds either but without them, I would not get out of bed because of the pain.
    Just don't let them push you off and tell you that they don't know what is wrong with you. Keep pushing for more tests......there are more than just an MRI! Like I said before, your injury is still fairly new and there is hope that it could be fixed so please don't give up. You know your body better than any doctor. I wish I wouldn't have given up because I think my problem could have been treated accordingly if I would have just insisted that they do further testing. Good luck!

Reply Reply

Tags
    cyst, fissure, knee injury