It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Bilateral Knee Replacement - any hints??

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
    anicra
    (female)

anicra HB User
    Question Bilateral Knee Replacement - any hints??

Hi, I'm a 64 year old woman and I will be undergoing Bilateral knee replacement soon. Is there anyone who can give me some insight, thoughts about their experiences? I've been doing what my doc calls, "prefab" for the last month, trying to get my legs as strong as possible. Did you go to rehab after? How long was your stay in the hospital? How much issue did you have when you first started to walk again? Any information that can be given will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User
    Re: Bilateral Knee Replacement - any hints??

By Bilateral do you mean both knees, but not at the same time?
    I had my left knee done five years ago and still have constant pain and I believe it is from a fall I had on the knee. Nothing unusual shows up in the X-rays so nothing can be done. Now the right knee is having problems and I get injections for it now and then.
    You must spend three nights in the hospital in order for insurance to cover rehab in a facility. I spent three weeks there and had a therapist come to my home three times a week for a month and then did out patient therapy. I was sick of therapy and sick of the pain I endure all of the time now.
    Some people are lucky and are walking with nothing but a cane a month later.
    Wishing you the best.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
    texasbart
    (female)

texasbart HB User

I also am a 64 yr old woman and had bilateral knee replacement Sept 10. I was in hospital 3 days and rehab for 10 days. I was walking with walker the day after surgery. They are pretty good at controlling the pain but I still have a lot of tightness in the quads. I'm in outpatient physical therapy and still on pain meds. Listen to the knees and do not over do it. I just started to drive again but can't stand on my feet for very long. Some days are better than others but am told I'm doing great. I can tell you though that I'm really getting tired of it even though I know it will be worth it in the long run. When is your surgery? Best of luck to you.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
    anicra
    (female)

anicra HB User

My surgery was 10 days ago. I had them both done at the same time. The surgery wasn't too bad but they discovered my blood pressure would get too low when I took pain meds so they switched me to Extra Strength tylenol - which is a joke. My main problem now is pain. They seem to hurt all the time no matter what I do. I go back to the doctor in 3 days and I will beg for some pain killers to help me through this. I'm really tired of this and can't wait until it's about a month from now!!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
    barbjean13
    (female)

barbjean13 HB User

Feel badly to hear about your pain. There must be some narcotic that they could try that would not do that to your pressure. You should not have to deal with the pain. I had my left knee done 6 weeks ago. The second day after the surgery, when the block wore off, I have an episode of horrid pain, and that was even taking Percocet. So, with you having both done, I cannot even imagine. I was able to stop the narcotics fairly soon, yet I will still take a Percocet periodically to help me sleep. I find it just so uncomfortable to sleep on my side. How do you do it with both? Good luck, Barb

Old 10-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
    anicra
    (female)

anicra HB User

Hi,

Sleeping is the worst. I feel like a walrus trying to drag my legs into the bed to position them the way that might be comfortable. I really feel if I could get a good nights sleep, I would be better at coping with the pain. Today is day 10 post op. I just came back from PT and they told me right leg is 100 and the left is 97. They are more than pleased with my recovery. I wish I was - but then I really want to be done with all this. I am now able to use one cane in the house and two canes if I'm out and about. I find it laughable to think of being "out and about" right now. I'm glad to get rid of the walker - but I think I'll keep it for a few more nights for when I need to get up. I'm heading for my doctor's in two days and hope to get him to agree to some pain pills. I've been monitoring my blood pressure so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm a little more optimistic about a full recovery eventually.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
    barbjean13
    (female)

barbjean13 HB User

The first couple of weeks have got to be the worst. I think your range of motion sounds pretty good on both knees though. Mine is 105 at 6 weeks. My doc said he had just seen a woman who was doing well and hers was 90 at 8 weeks. So, you seem ahead of the game. But, that does not compensate for the pain you have. Can you put both your legs up on pillow at nite and sleep on your back? I am a side sleeper, but forced myself to do that the first week. I know what you mean about feeling like a walrus to turn over. My husband can't believe the noises I make when I go from one side to the other.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
    anicra
    (female)

anicra HB User

Well, I can certainly say that this isn't one of the better days/weeks for me. I find I prefer to sleep on my side. It takes me a few minutes to get settled but I can usually put a small pillow between my knees to get some relief. Unfortunately, I can only stay in that position for a short while before I need to move around again. The first three days, I slept sitting up but was also snowed with all the drugs they were giving me. I do try sleeping on my back when I first get in to bed with three pillows under my knees. I feel like a bat hanging upside down. This is how I usually lay when I put ice on my knees. Besides having my own pity party now and then, I really feel back for my husband. We are sleeping in our first floor guest room that has twin beds. Every time I move, he wakes up. Like I mentioned, I plan to offer my first born child in exchange for some pain pills.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
    barbjean13
    (female)

barbjean13 HB User

Haha on the pain pill comment. There are days I might give both of mine away for less. Seriously, hope you can get something for the pain. Even though, I am doing so well, I still wake up with the throbbing in the morning. I am wondering about this. Do you have areas where you still feel numb? it is not like I feel tingling, but when I massage the scar, there is an area on the lateral side of my knee that has no feeling at all yet. I am wondering if that comes back eventually. Do you know? I forgot to ask my doc that. Barb

Old 10-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
    texasbart
    (female)

texasbart HB User

I have that numbness in both of my calves. I was told it was because of the nerves. I hope it eventually goes away because it is a creepy feeling. Tomorrow marks the 5 week mark for me. Today was the first time I felt halfway decent at least for part of the day. I still have trouble finding a sleeping position and can't seem to stay up past 9pm.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
    anicra
    (female)

anicra HB User

Hi, I had my knees operated on in the 1965 and 1971 1970 to have tendon reassignment done. The basically took the tendons and moved them so they were over the kneecaps so the kneecaps wouldn't pop out. The scars are about 7" long each. I still have no being on both the knees in different spots. I wouldn't be surprised to find that we're left with numbness when all is said and done. Good news, I did get my drugs and didn't have to give away any of my children so I am hoping to feel better soon. Sine there are two experts here on knee replacements, I have a few questions, if you don't mind. How long before you came off the walker and then on to the canes and then howling before you can get rid of the canes? Do you know how long you have to endure PT? Does it ever get easier? How long before it was comfortable to keep your legs on the floor. I went down to my doc yesterday - he's 2.5 hours away and then we visited with my son and his family. The whole time my legs were down and I was dying by about 5 pm. Do either of you find that you don't have much of an appetite? Mine is still only so-so. Last night was an awful night for sleeping. The second night in a row. I get up at 3 and move to the couch in the living room and cocoon myself in for the rest of the night. I hope this is not a new habit. I'd be happy for any insight you can give me. Everything helps.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
    barbjean13
    (female)

barbjean13 HB User

@texasbart, you and I are at about the same point. I just reached the 6 week mark. So you have numbness in your calves? Did your doc say it would go away? It is so strange to touch it and have no feeling-as you said, it is creepy. I am still having a hard time sleeping too.
    @anrica, seems I was finished using the walker after the first week. Used the cane for maybe a week after that. I was actually able to drive a week and a half after the surgery. Funny, though how you have ups and downs. Last night was not a good night for me. A lot of throbbing. But, generally the pain is not bad. I don't know what you mean by legs down. Do you mean when you are sitting. I find when I sit for too long, the knee throbs. Like at a restaurant or movie. When is your surgery? December? Take care, Barb

Old 10-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
    anicra
    (female)

anicra HB User

I had both my knees replaced at the same time on Oct. 3 so tomorrow will be two weeks. Wow - I'm impressed - only a week with the walker. I got rid of my walker at day 10. Although I did have to promise my husband that if i'm alone in the house, I will use the walker instead of the canes. I can walk without the canes - but it's a little painful and since both my knees are real sore, it's tough at times. By knees down, I meant like regular sitting. They get really tired and start to ache when I am not lying on the couch with my legs up. I have to start walking more and lying on the couch less. It's just that it's so painful at times. I spent all day yesterday - from 10 in the morning until 8 at night with my legs in just a sitting position as we had a long drive to the docs and then a visit with my little grandchildren. I didn't want them to know something was wrong so I just sat there at the ice cream parlor with them for about an hour and a half. Probably about an hour too long! LOL As for the numbness, you get used to it after a while. Small parts on both my knees are still numb from prior surgeries and the numbness has never gone away. I am looking forward to being a few weeks further along - do you still have pain when you try to stand or when you first wake up in the morning? Are you still doing PT? And do you find it brutal and intensely painful? I have taken pain pills about an hour before my session with the hopes that it won't be as painful.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
    texasbart
    (female)

texasbart HB User

I used the walker for about 3weeks because I felt unsteady on my feet. I never used canes. My PT is scheduled for 6 weeks with exercises to do at home. I asked PT today when will I get to the point that I am glad I did this. He said usually about the 8 week point. PT has never been extremely painful except when they are stretching but it is tolerable. I still have trouble when my legs are down for very long but it is getting better. I was told there is nothing you can do to rush this process. We have had major surgery and the body has to have time to heal. I go back to my dr in a couple of weeks so I will ask him about the numbness.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
    barbjean13
    (female)

barbjean13 HB User

@anrica, I am sorry I did not realize you were just post op. I am mixed up with another board I am on. Which reminds me that I have had a hard time concentrating since my surgery. I am usually an avid reader and just can't get into a book right now. Becoming a tv watcher. I would use the walker as your husband said to. It is a lot more secure than a cane. I found it especially helpful when getting up in the middle of the nite or in the morning. It does get pretty stiff upon awakening. It seems like if the extension feels good, the flexion doesn't and vice versa. I did do the bike, treadmill and leg machines at the Y today and it felt pretty good. Have to keep the seat up pretty high on the bike though to be able to bend the knee. I am going to the doc's today because on part of the incision it has gotten red. Almost looks like a stitch might be working its way out, but want to be sure. Hope you have a good day and feel less pain today. Barb

Reply Reply

Tags
    bilateral knee replacement, knees