It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• post meniscus surgery - PAIN

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
    pained4466
    (female)

pained4466 HB User
    Unhappy post meniscus surgery - PAIN

In July I had a cortisone injection in my right knee for pain and swelling. The very next day the meniscus tore. I had an MRI to confirm and had anthroscopic removal on August 22 (and he "scraped" due to arthritis). I have done the exercising, been to P/T. P/T explained that pain would be present with the "manipulation of the knee cap from "scraping" I explained to my OS last week that there is still significant pain, more so than pre op pain. The swelling at the end of the day is significant, and at the end of a 5 day stretch, swells from the knee to the ankle. He gave me a lubricating shot and I am scheduled for another next week and one the following week for a total of 3. I already missed too much work and fell behind so I can't afford to not work. The stiffness after a nights sleep I expected. However, every time I move in my sleep it wakes me up. I am not a back sleeper but have to sleep in that position so I'm not sleeping well. There is significant pulling in front and back of the knee. I can't sit for long with a bent knee as I can hardly stand up again. I am a nursing assistant, so I am always on my feet. This pain is getting old and the limping is awful. My right hip is starting to "catch" and it feels like I am being stabbed by an ice pik from the inside of my knee cap. Any suggestions? I have a high pain tolerance. I've had teeth filled without novicane, I gave birth to both babies (10 lbs and 23" long) with no pain meds. My only pain has ever been migraine. I don't want to come across as whining but this HURTS. My OS seems to think its due to weak muscles in the leg. I disagree. Its good after a couple days rest, then if I work 5 - 8 hr shifts my right knee is twice the size of the left. Even with icing and ibuprophen. My employer is very patient but this has got to get better, right? It's been 3 months and I would think there would be some relief by now but I'm beginning to think surgery was a huge mistake (at the time the OS made it sound like I would be pain free and ready to go in a month)........ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
    nate56
    (male)

nate56 HB User
    Re: post meniscus surgery - PAIN

im not filimar with that part of the knee.but it sounds like there is something wrong inside the knee.have you asked your dr. about it? maybe go to another dr?

Old 11-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
    pained4466
    (female)

pained4466 HB User

Thank you for responding. Yes, I had an appt earlier this week. He said "muscle weakness". I have an appt with my family doc on Monday for another lubricating shot. He's more patient and will take time to listen, which is good as I have a long list for him too. I'm in a small town and the OS is an hour away. He only comes here monthly and shoots people thru like cattle since there are so many that need to see him.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I hate to say it but you need to see an ortho who does knees...maybe someone who works on the Vikings? I'm not sure how they could remove your meniscus and you not have pain. And meniscus repairs are usually pretty simple whent hey are done - and a lot are not done because there really isn't a need. And I have no clue what a lubricating injection is! Are you talking a cortisone shot?

Reply Reply

Tags
    knee arthroscopy, surgery, torn meniscus