It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Post surgery pain after arthroscopic knee surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
    Knee pain 7
    (female)

Knee pain 7 HB User
    Unhappy Post surgery pain after arthroscopic knee surgery

Had arthroscopic knee surgery 3 weeks ago. Dr. found meniscus tear during surgery that was not reflected in MRI. Dr said he cleaned it up. Came home in a lot of pain. Used a walker at first to get around. Did leg raises and ankle slides as directed beginning the day after surgery. Still need to walk with at least one crutch for stability. Small range of motion and lots of pain. Feels frozen. Also experiencing a lot of pain in my thigh-found out from tourniquet applied during surgery. I guess very few people experience that type of pain. Lucky me. Was allowed to start walking 20 mins a day. OMG lots of pain. Also lump in my thigh size of an egg. WTH?!! So taken off exercise. Finally start PT in a few days. I never expected to be down like this. Hurts to go out and do things. Trouble getting comfortable to sleep. Anyone else experienced this? Advice? Is this normal post surgery stuff? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2015, 06:09 AM   #2
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
    Re: Post surgery pain after arthroscopic knee surgery

You didn't say what the surgery was for originally. I did have meniscus surgery-mine was torn in the back, so it wasn't reattached, just trimmed down so it wouldn't flap or continue to catch in my tendons and muscles. It was driving me crazy and hurt like hell. Dr. is very well known Sports Med Orthopedic and I trust him completely-he is the team doc for our city's major league baseball team and NFL team. He said at my age (52 at the time) it didn't make sense to try to reattach it, and that the recovery would have been much longer and tougher. When my doc said he "cleaned it up" he meant he went in and just trimmed it back. IS that what yours did?
    Did you get one of those icing machines that you fill with ice and water and wrap around your whole knee? I used that every day every few hours for at least the first 2 weeks.
    For sleeping I actually slept in a recline with pillows up under my leg to to keep it elevated. Then I moved to the bed where I also had to pile pillows under it to keep it up. Are you able to do that?
    I haven't heard of anyone getting a lump like you are talking about. Hopefully your PT will be able to help you figure out what that is, maybe a muscle bunched up post surgery?
    Hope you get to feeling much better soon!
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Reply Reply