It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Lasik surgery possibly

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
    Superbobu2
    (male)

Superbobu2 HB User
    Lasik surgery possibly

I recently had a consultation. I am near sighted. I qualified for surgery. Dr gave me contacts to simulate what it would be like. My left contact was weaker than my right. I am right eye dominant. It was great. I could see far and close. I could read texts. Everything seemed normal. WOre it for 3 weeks. They wanted me to try just my right eye. I have done that for 3 weeks. Its ok. A little blurry far away. No issues with depth. I have been driving, playing racquetball, mountain biking and all went fine. I prefer both eyes having contacts though. Really seems to be clearer. The consultant is pushing me to just do the one eye. She says there is a big chance because of my age that my eyes will adjust after surgery and I will need reading glasses. The whole reason I am doing this is no glasses ever. I am 47. My eyes have been the same prescriptions for 20yrs. Every two years get a checkup and the same. They have not gotten worse. I know you can never predict for sure but because my eyes haven't changed in so long I am really tempted to do both eyes. The consultant said the surgery will most likely cause my eyes to change and I will need reading glasses. Opinions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
    mark0f0
    (male)

mark0f0 HB User
    Re: Lasik surgery possibly

You were being given a trial for what is known as "monovision". Basically they will adjust (or leave) your dominant eye at a full-distance correction, and under-correct your other eye for to help you to read.

In many (but not all) patients, this works out well, and gives them reasonable close-up reading capability, as well as full-distance eyesight. In others, it doesn't.

The decision to do laser eye surgery, whether PRK or LASIK, is yours alone. While it does sound like you are in good hands with your doctor giving you a trial with contact lenses of monovision, you could certainly:

a) Have full-distance correction in both eyes. You will need reading glasses.

b) Have multi-focal corneal laser correction. Some of the newest laser platforms (ie: Schwind AMARIS) support this. Schwind calls theirs "PresbyMAX". Availability in the United States is very limited. You can simulate this through a trial of multi-focal contact lenses.

c) Not have any surgery at this time and re-visit the whole decision when you develop cataracts and need lens replacement. At such time, you can then make the decision whether to have multi-focal IOLs, or a more standard full-distance correction. Monovision can be accomplished with lens implants as well.

d) If you have a family history of earlier cataracts, then you might be a candidate for CLE/RLE, rather than going through LASIK/PRK. It may cost you more than a straight-up LASIK/PRK procedure, but you won't need to have cataract surgery later on.

There's nothing wrong with getting both your eyes done, with the prescription you did well with using both contacts. The Dr. might be seeing if she can save you a little bit of money and recovery by only doing one eye. Sounds like you have a caring doctor instead of one who just wants to zap as many people as possible and hit the golf course!

Last edited by mark0f0; 01-29-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
    Beehappee
    (female)

Beehappee HB User
    Re: Lasik surgery possibly

I had Lasik in 1994. You will need reading glasses! I love my eyes now. I was legally blind until 42 and the Lasik changed my life! I didn't realize what a handicap it was! Good luck!

Closed Thread