It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• LASIK? PRK? ITR? Contacts?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
    Purplelobj
    (female)

Purplelobj HB User
    LASIK? PRK? ITR? Contacts?

I have been wearing contacts for 20 years.... And I am only 31. My vision is downright terrible without correction. I have decided to investigate getting LASIK and had consultations yesterday and today. Yesterday I was told I am a fantastic candidate when do I want to schedule? Today the doctor was not as optimistic. Apparently this clinic follows a PTA scale where they calculate the thickness of your cornea and how much tissue would be affected by the surgery. My left eye was right at their 40% cutoff but my right eye (non dominate) was 42%.

I was told my options are to under correct my right eye so it meets the 40% cutoff and he showed me what that would look like... I could still read the 20/20 letters but not the 20/15 letters. I could also consider PRK although they don't do it at that office. I could do an implant which I believe he said was called ITR. I could continue wearing contacts as I am now. Or I could say screw it and go to the other place and get LASIK in both eyes, PTA scale be damn.

My job depends on my vision and I am starting to think perhaps the risk is not worth it? Anyone have any stories or suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
    Purplelobj
    (female)

Purplelobj HB User
    Re: LASIK? PRK? ITR? Contacts?

To add more confusion to my thought process the first consultation place called back today (as I had asked them to). I briefly discussed some of the concerns with the lady on the phone and mentioned not being able to do any future touch up procedures due to my strong prescription and how much tissue would be used in the first procedure. She informed me that they put the numbers into the laser to see what the results would be and that I could in fact do a touch up procedure with them. In one eye I would have 332 micron and the other 350 micron after the procedure, well above their 250 micron cut off point.

I guess I am just confused how my two consultations could be so different from one another. Does anyone have any advice?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
    ManyIdeas
    (male)

ManyIdeas HB User

Well, I could go back in time I wouldn't do it again. I had LASIK 4 weeks ago at with mixed results. I had a +2.00 in left eye and +3.00 with an astigmatism in the right eye prior to surgery. I was farsighted.

Post op, I can see some things better than without my glasses, but most things are very fuzzy. The doctor has assured me that the flap is healing very well and my vision in the office is hovering around 20/20. I have had very dry eyes, so they did temp duct plugs which seemed to help, but not with the vision. It might take some extra time. Who knows.

However, I did have a discussion with the doctor about "enhancement". He explained the how it works. That being said, to answer your question, I its up to you, but I have made it very clear to the doctor that if the end result after 12 months is remaining refractive error, then I will return to my optometrist (close family friend who is NOT in favor of enhancement) who will just put me back in glasses and monitor for ectasia and other corneal issues that could occur post Lasik.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
    phenix01
    (male)

phenix01 HB User

If you haven't had lasik yet, please DON'T.
    It is extremely risky. It does work well with the majority, but there is still an important minority that are very negatively affected. Do not take that risk.

I myself had lasik and my night vision is now dramatically worse than it was before. Doctors don't know what to do. I wish I could go back in time.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-03-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Reply Reply