It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• LASIK Surgery concerns for my mom and I - 18 y/o

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
    maddyx
    (female)

maddyx HB User
    LASIK Surgery concerns for my mom and I - 18 y/o

Greetings,

This is my first post here so it might be a little lengthy.

I just recently turned 18 years old and my mom and I are due to have LASIK surgery with a trusted family friend and eye surgeon in exactly a month.

My mom and I have the same prescriptions so we see equally as bad with both eyes at around -3.00. I take pride in my athletics and she her close work as she's in the real estate business.

The surgeon made an interesting proposal for my mom called monovision, which I'm sure most of you are aware of. It's when one eye is fixed to see close and your other is fixed to see far.

My mom is in her 50s and she can see up close fine - never needed glasses. She's an avid reader so she reads almost all of the time. I researched a lot for LASIK and monovision and I've heard that monovision is hard to adjust to and can impair nighttime vision, which is not good because she usually drives to and from work in the evenings/dim light.

So here are my serious questions:

1. Does my mom need monovision or is just straight up LASIK a better option? We both have the same prescriptions, only different ages, and she's never had a problem with her close vision nor showed signs of presbyopia; I feel the doctor is only going off the assumption that she will eventually get it after LASIK.

2. I'm afraid my vision will deteriorate in a few years. I've heard about it but a majority of patients who have said such have been ~30 or ~40 years old. I'm 18. Will my sight stay around longer or is deterioration something that happens to everybody?

3. I'm afraid of the side effects of LASIK. Thus far I've seen that complications aren't from the surgery itself but from the side effects, and some people have lost their vision completely to them. I'm so, so terrified of my sight becoming worse than before or losing it altogether. Anyone have any success stories to share?

I have many more questions so if you guys are up to it I would be happy to give them out. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2018, 02:24 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: LASIK Surgery concerns for my mom and I - 18 y/o

I cannot speak for your mom, but I had mine done when I was 21....by the time I was 30, I was back to wearing glasses full time. Everyone's eyes change in their 30s and 40s...you will definitely need this again in the future OR you will be wearing corrective lenses. It happens to everyone.

IF you are seeing a trusted friend, why cant you ask him these questions? I would NEVER have done this at a young age if they knew then what they know now. I still have problems with dry eye and having to use drops all day long...and its now been 17 years!

Reply Reply

Tags
    afraid, eyes, lasik, monovision