It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Scion...some stuff to calm your nerves...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2005, 06:24 AM   #1
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User
    Scion...some stuff to calm your nerves...

Hey Scion,
    I had my first follow-up appointment yesterday and he gave me something to read over. What he gave me made me think of you and how nervous you are about your blurry eye. Before I quote what the sheet he gave me said, I want to let you know that I woke up with a really dry left eye and today, so far, that eye is pretty blurry. So, it is a healing process and even though it bugs me because I was doing so well yesterday, I am trying not to let it concern me.

So, now let me quote what the sheet my doc gave me said:
    "Before laser surgery, no one compares the vision between their 2 eyes. After laser surgery, EVERYONE compares the vision between their 2 eyes, and their vision with everyone nearby. DO NOT DO THIS. There was a natural difference between the eyes before surgery and there will be a difference after surgery. Your two feet are different, your hands are different, your ears are different and your eyes will be different as well. Our objective is to make the vision as close and natural as the eyes will allow.
    You vision will dluctuate, day-to-day, time-of-day to time-of-day, and eye-to-eye. This is normal. The non-laser surgery eye does the same.
    You will see a haze around lights in dim illumination. This will persist for months to come, but will drastically improve in the next 10-14 days.
    Your eyes will be dry - especially when you first get un in the morning. This will last for months to come, but will improve in the next 45 days.
    You may observe "RED SPOTS" on the white of your eyes - especially under the lids. This is due to the microkeratome suction during Lasik and is NORMAL. These may take 2-6 weeks to dissipate."

I hope this helps calm your nerves about the blurriness and any other things you may be experiencing. I think I might re-read it every day as my eyes heal to keep me calm during those days when I am slightly blurry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
    ScionTC05
    (male)

ScionTC05 HB User
    Re: Scion...some stuff to calm your nerves...

Hey thats good to know. the left is a little hazy but not really bad...comes and goes. Thing that is weird is upclose i can see, but if i do cover my eyes like im not suppose to, the right everything looks bigger. the left it looks clear but small. I think its whats causing the haze, cause if i close each eye, its kinda clear, its together they fuzy out...but the left doesnt focus real quick, its like its still working to focus...so who knows....time will tell :-D

thanks for the info tho! :-D do you have aol/aim? if so my names piercedlip81 on aim! maybe can chat about it sometime!

cya!

Old 01-21-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

I am glad I could help. You helped me so much. I figured it is time to return the favor.

I have a question...have you been re-wetting them enough too? As soon as my left eye got enough lubrication today, it cleared up. It took about 2 hours after I woke up this morning for the blurriness to go away. I know that it takes alot of lubrication to keep the cornea moist enough which aids in the healing process and helps cut down on the blurriness. I don't want to tell you what to do...but, it may help to use more of your re-wetting drops. I still wouldn't worry though. It is probably an adjustment thing. This is a very traumatic surgery..even though it is so quick. As long as your doctor is pleased, you should be. I actually went in today during lunch time bacause I accidentally hit my right eye with the tip of my eye drops vial...I know! Way to go. Fortunately I didn't do any damage and they checked my eye sight again. 20/15! I tend to be a quick healer. I am a bit of an early bird as well. I was born prematurely so, I think that I am hardwired to get things done early! Hehehe!

Anyway, I am on AOL/aim. I can't do too much im'ing at work but, a little is ok. I will put you in my addresses and see if you are on a little later. I don't want to put my im name in here because I think we aren't supposed to put too much personal info in our posts.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
    Bright Eyes
    (female)

Bright Eyes HB User

Hating glasses..I loved the info your doc gave you to read..I am still more than pleased with my eyes..but there are days when my left eye does have a little haze like scion..but it comes and goes..and I am sure i am super picky about seeing because my sight was such crap before! Please keep posting info!

Old 01-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

Bright Eyes! I am glad I could help! My doctors are amazing with what they provide and do to make the healing process less stressful! I will pass along any new info that they give me. Did your doctor tell you to get a bottle of Saline (not saline solution) to wash the area around your eyes? It doesn't actually go in your eyes. It is just to wash your eyelids and under your eyes. Mine told me it is called Saline and is non-preserved...not what people use for their contacts. You are not supposed to wash the area around your eyes with tap water. And, when you shower, just gently dab your eyes dry if you get water on the lids during your shower...which, unless you're wear swimming goggles, is inevitable. I have had a hard time finding the Saline. If your doctor told you to get it too, and you found it, can you give me an idea of where. I looked in my pharmacy and around it in Kroger (grocery store) and Eckerd. Neither had it. Just Saline Solution...which is exactly not what you need to get! Ugh! I'm going to keep up my search.

Glad I could be of some help after all the help you provided me!

Old 01-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #6
    Bright Eyes
    (female)

Bright Eyes HB User

Hating Glasses...I did use the saline stuff..but my doctor gave me a little satchel of goodies...several different lubricant drops and the bottle of saline..so i never had to search for it.your story of poking your eye made me smile as well..the 2nd goggle nite..i woke up and found my goggles up on my forehead..sure i had done something bad..i think perhaps i fell asleep with the tv on..since i had contacts or glasses on to see it before..and now i can fall asleep with nothing on..so i had my hsb awake at 3 am..looking in my eye to see it he could see anything...after that i mentioned it to the doc..and he said i wouldn't have been able to see out of it..if i had done something bad..after a month i am still so excited about it..I never shut up..can you tell?Thx for your postings..hope you find your saline ;o)

Old 01-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

Hey Bright Eyes...those freaking goggles make it difficult to sleep but, I am glad they are there. I don't think that I have as much of a chance of rubbing my eyes in my sleep as I have of doing it when I wake up (first thing). I might have done it this morning because of how dry they were (particularly my left) if it weren't for my goggles. I hate the thought of having to wear them until my fours weeks of not rubbing banishment is up! But, I might have to just because I really think it is a distinct possibility that I will forget when I wake up.

I didn't think I had done any damage to my right eye with the dropper but, I wanted to be safe instead of sorry.

Was there a brand name on your Saline bottle? My doc said it would just be called Saline. But, if there were a brand name I could work with, that would help enormously. My doc provided me with my drops and the Econopred. He wrote me a prescription for the Vigamox which I picked up the day after I found out I was a candidate. As far as the Saline, that is the only thing they didn't provide me with. I got a little tote bag of goodies (the goggles, sunglasses, econopred, eye drops and post op care sheet). I hope I find the saline because I would hate like heck not to find it and end up having problems with my eyes in the future. I might buy a pair of swimming goggles just to make sure that no water gets on my eye lids and into my eyes as I shower. I want to be able to wash my face without the stress of getting any of the stuff I use to wash my face in my eyes. Hehehe! That would suck!

I am so stoked about my surgery too and am so glad that this board is here because I love having others to share my experience, as well as yours and others, with. I would probably drive my friends and family nuts talking about it if it weren't for you all and this forum! Hehehe! I think I have already talked 2 people into getting it done! My boss and one of my neighbors down the street are saying they are going to do it. My neighbor said that I should do marketing for LasikPlus (my doctors). Hehehe!

Thank you for varifying that the Saline is actually out there somewhere! Hehehe! I really hope I find it!

Old 01-21-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
    Bright Eyes
    (female)

Bright Eyes HB User

Hating glasses..I have since thrown the bottle away..i dont recall the brand ..but i think its like hospitals use for flushing wounds...etc..perhaps you will find it in the owie section at walmart or the like..i can't remember who i posted to but my hsb went to see if he could get his eyes fixed...and has a small cataract to deal with for now..but my two cousins are interested..one of which had the RK 15 years ago perhaps..thought about a touch up..its just such a wonderful thing..I will continue to watch for your postings....

Old 01-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #9
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

The pharmacists at one of the grocery stores I went to yesterday suggested I go to the hospital pharmacy down the road. Good news...they had a big, huge bottle of just what I needed. It doesn't say Saline on it but it is Saline and you are right. It is what they use to wash out a flesh wound. So, now I have clean eyelids! Hehehe!

I hope your hsb can have the surgery done. Best thing ever wouldn't you say?

Happy weekend and even happier seeing!

Old 01-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #10
    ScionTC05
    (male)

ScionTC05 HB User

today is my best day so far, yesterday was real blurry in the left, but musta been the healing process, cause this morning/today is my least hazy day, its near perfect today! cant wait for a few weeks later see how perfect it is haha.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

Congratulations Scion! I am so happy for you! It is about time! Did you do anything better that might have helped it yesterday? It just takes time! Mine are pretty good today! My husband was testing my eyesight earlier today. He can still see a little better than I can. I can see what he can see but, it is all clearer for him than it is for me. It was rainy today so, that might have a little bit of something to do with how well I could see. My left one is a lot less dry today and they were both slightly less dry this morning the they were yesterday and the day before.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2005, 09:45 AM   #12
    ScionTC05
    (male)

ScionTC05 HB User

Hey, all i did i remember was drink some v8 juice, and seemed to help, or maybe my imagination...but mornings are still very dry, and as the day goes on i see clearer. I have been wearing sunglasses a lot lately. and probably will, because i never did before. just want to project my eyes now that I am 20/15 :-D

Old 01-24-2005, 12:05 PM   #13
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

Scion, I am glad to hear you are doing better! Maybe the V8 did help. I can't drink it because I have acid reflux and that would throw my body into a refluxy tail spin!

I am glad to hear that you have picked up the sunglasses habit. UV is really harsh on the eyes. My Grandma never wore sunglasses and unfortunately, she didn't find out how bad it was for her eyes until the last couple years of her life. Her vision by then was really awful. Sunglasses are very important. Are yours polarized? If you are experiencing any glare at all, that might help get rid of it. Take very good care of those 20/15 peepers. They deserve it and so do you!

Other than the dryness and the slight hairy feeling in my right eye, mine are great! I was out with the hubby yesterday and everything was so vibrant that it was almost painful. I have never seen colors so bright and beautiful. The trees that still have leaves (pines and evergreens) couldn't have been more breath taking. The sky was the most perfect shade of blue and I asked my hubby if the world always sparkles like this and he asked me if I was sure my sunglasses were polarized. He is used to the world being bright! Hehehe! I think he started thinking I might be a bit of a wack job! heheeh! I swear! I am not a wack job! Just overwhelmingly happy that the world is so much prettier than I ever knew before!

Old 01-24-2005, 07:10 PM   #14
    Bright Eyes
    (female)

Bright Eyes HB User

Hello Hating Glasses and Scion..my eyes are really dry today...it will take a few months for that to be done...i was smiling again at your comment on all the colors...what amazes me...is my husband isn't such a bad driver after all! i just assumed since i couldn't see..he couldnt either! Glad all is going well with you two ;o) I am taking a little SIGHT seeing vacation this week! can't wait...

Old 01-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #15
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

Hello Bright Eyes,
    Heheeh about your hubby! I am glad to hear that he is a safe driver. Now that you can see so well it would be a shame to have that wonderful vision jeopardized! Hehehe!
    My dryness gets better every day. My hubby got 2 big humidifiers for our house. They just arrived via UPS yesterday. We needed them because, even in the summer our house is dry. I felt a little less dry in the eyeballs this morning so, I think that must help a little. Each humidifier covers 4 rooms and we have the one upstairs near the foot of my side of the bed. You might consider getting a good one or using one if you already have it. I think it helps. If your sinuses are well lubricated, that has got to help with the lubrication in your eyes. Or, maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part! Hehehe! Anyway, my doc said that the first 45 days after surgery are the dryest. Then, after that, there is still some dryness to expect but, it starts really getting better after that 45 day period. This is what it says on that sheet he gave me at my first follow up. "Your eyes will be dry - especially when you first get up in the morning. This will last for months to come, but will improve in the next 45 days." I hope that info helps. We should all get stock in eye drops right now! Hehehe! Just make sure that any drops you get are non-preserved.

Enjoy your sight seeing vacation! How exciting. I can't wait until our first trip to visit our relatives up north. We usually drive the 13 hours and I can't even begin to imagine all the sights I missed with my poor vision before!

Have a great vacation Bright Eyes!

Closed Thread