It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• When can I play sports after LASIK?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2005, 06:27 AM   #1
    Khumbu77
    (female)

Khumbu77 HB User
    When can I play sports after LASIK?

I知 getting LASIK done on May 5th. I知 so excited. I was really nervous about it before my consultation, but the doctor I went to made me feel really comfortable about the whole procedure. Reading the posts here has helped a lot too. Thanks! I can稚 wait to get out of glasses and contacts!
    I just have one question: How long should I wait after surgery before I resume playing sports like basketball, soccer, and flag football? I知 really active and it being springtime I知 kind of bummed that I値l have to sit out for a (little) while after the surgery. I知 hoping it won稚 be too long. I just don't want to jump in too soon after the surgery and risk messing something up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User
    Re: When can I play sports after LASIK?

Khumbu77,
    Congrats on your future surgery. I know that they don't say that you can't swim for I think a month post op. But, as for sports, I am not sure. I go to a Chiropractor and I told him I had the surgery (I had an appointment with him 2 days post-op). Anyway, there was one procedure he couldn't do because the force of it may or may not do something to mess up my new sight. I don't entirely understand it but, if I remember correctly, he said that after 2-4 weeks, Chiropractors don't worry about harming the patients eyes anymore. You might want to ask you doctor about how long to wait before you get play your sports. I would just give him a call A.S.A.P. If you think or your doctor tells you, it is going to hinder your sports, you might want to post-pone the procedure until post season. I know that you have to be careful not to rub your eyes for 2 weeks to a month post op so, he may just tell you to wear goggles or something to make sure you don't take and elbow to your eye(s). But, definitely, give him a call. He would be the best person to tell you for sure what you can and can not do.
    Congrats!

Old 04-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
    Duffman518
    (male)

Duffman518 HB User
    Re: When can I play sports after LASIK?

Hey,

Just to drop off my two cents: I had Lasik 5 weeks ago, and l also play a bunch of sports. Things like lifting and jogging I started doing three or four days after surgery. About a week after that I started shooting bball and passing the lacrosse ball. I was told to wait three or four weeks before doing anything with contact.

I still haven't played any contact sports yet, though. The thought of driving to the hoop and getting smacked in the face is pretty scary. It seems as though now that I can see again without contact lenses I want to do everything I can to protect it. That aside, if you're feeling bold I don't think there's any reason you can't do any sport you want after a month or so.

Closed Thread