It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• What I wish I knew before my Lasik surgery...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
    pacosta
    (female)

pacosta HB User
    What I wish I knew before my Lasik surgery...

I had Lasik yesterday and all is well! I have read a lot on these boards, but I never saw the video that other mention. I think I'm kinda glad, it would have freaked me out. Here is what I wish I knew before the surgery...

1. I got a script for 2 Valium pills, 10 mg each. I was told to take one the night before the 7:30am surgery, not to take it in the a.m. . Well, I wish I took one in the a.m as I was extremely nervous.

2. When making the cut for the flap, a suction cup is attached to your eye. You can feel it pulling your eye upwards and a little pain. When the suction is complete, you cannot see anything. Talk about a horrible feeling, knowing your eye is open, but you see blackness only! You cannot feel the cut, but it moves horribly slow and you can feel it along your lash line.

3. The laser, when it's working on your eye, makes a strange smell, like burning flesh?? I heard a fan running to remove that smell I'm assuming. I tried to breathe out of my mouth.

4. Get a book on tape from the library before hand so you have something to do at home the day of the surgery. My doctor said not to open my eyes except for eating and using the bathroom. Talk about boring.

5. Bring some pain meds, Tylenol or something with you to the surgery. As soon as the numbing drops wore off, I was in pain! I had to endure the ride home before I could take anything. Once I took it I went to sleep for 2 hours. Upon waking up the pain was gone, just a scratch feeling.

Good luck to all, I drove today to my eye check up appointment and have 20/20 distance and 20/15 close up. I'm 40 years old and did not need reading glasses before the surgery. I was -5.5 in both eyes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User
    Re: What I wish I knew before my Lasik surgery...

Wow, surgery yesterday and 20/20 vision today? So is that it now? That is so quick!

I would be too scared to undergo Lasik. What if I had to sneeze right when they are cutting or what if something gets itchy? Eye surgery freaks me out but I'd love to get rid of my glasses.

May I ask what country you are from and how much it cost?

Old 06-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
    pacosta
    (female)

pacosta HB User

I am from the US, in Florida and I paid $4,000 including everything, all script drops and all checkups. This was Custom Lasik. Yes, I"m thrilled at seeing so well just the day after. I just feel drynesss, that's it!

Old 06-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

I agree whole-heartedly that the suction thing was weird, but I did not feel it along my lash line. Also, I am surprized that you were not allowed to open your eyes afterward. My doc told me to keep them open for 2 hours, then I fell asleep for a long nap, but when I woke up, I did everything normal. (except wearing goggles for sleeping and showers.) I had no pain or discomfort post-op, but they did give me 2 adivan pre-surgery. I am still dealing with complications with my right eye, which hopefully will be fixed next Wednesday. Even with complications, I am so glad that I had it done, before surgery, I was 20/400 which is legally blind. Now my left eye is 20/20, and my other eye will be soon!

Elizabeth

Old 06-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Could you please explain the problems you are having with your right eye? How long ago did you have your surgery? I am also having issues with my right eye and am very upset about it. I'm not as positive as everyone else here as I have never been able to read anything on that chart clearly. I am now 3 weeks post-op. I was -9R and -8L. Now I think I am around a -1.50 in each eye.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

The doc described my problem as being similar to having 'dry skin' on my right eye. He gave me an ointment (Muro) to use at bedtime because he said that my eye was rubbing on my eyelid and irritating it. The ointment is not working so he is going to peel that layer of skin off of my eye next Wednesday. After the peeling, I will need to wear a protective contact lens for 3 days. My doc is confident that after this procedure, I will have close to 20/20 vision. My right eye vision is like looking through a layer of plastic wrap right now. Very irritating. Hope this helped!

Elizabeth

Old 06-25-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Thank you, Elizabeth, for responding. Do you know what the vision is in your eyes right now? I'm 20/30 in my L eye now and 20/200 in the R. I have epth. cells growing under my flap, causing a strange bending of light to the left (to the angle of the cells). I'm hoping to have the cells scraped on the 5th and have at least 20/25 with both eyes afterwards. How long has it been since your surgery? I am now 3 weeks out. What was your refraction before surgery? I was -8L and -9R. Take care and look forward to hearing back from you.

Old 06-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

Mistysea, My vision in my right eye was 20/70 at last check left was 20/20, not sure of refraction. I am one and a half months post op. I am sorry to hear that you are also having problems, but relieved that someone else is having the same type of difficulty as I am. I was starting to worry that I had some rare, unknown complication. Keep us posted on how you do after the scraping, and best of luck! By the way, are you having lots of trouble with depth perception with your eyes being so different? I sure am!

Elizabeth

Last edited by elizab3th; 06-25-2005 at 11:03 AM.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Elizabeth, I wish you and I could be counted with the ones that were happy from the beginning! This is very frustrating to me. I'm not sure about the depth perception, but I do know as it gets darker, I get more frustrated, because everything is very dim. I'll be honest and say at this point, I regret my decision to have Lasik, because I can't see well out of either eye. Left is great for up close, Right is better for far away, but both are very fuzzy, blurry and I'm having double vision and ghosting. I also don't have any room for enhancement, so this must get better. I'm thankful I don't have to leave the home for employment, as I am very uncomfortable driving. I had the surgery because my prescription was only going up and up each year. If I stayed out of my contacts for anything longer than a week, my prescription would jump .50! That may not seem like much, but in 10 years it went up
    -3.0 and that was with wearing my contacts most of the time, which really isn't excellent for your eye health. My fear was that by the time I was 40 or 50, it would be much worse and I figured I'd better do something now. Hopefully, with time, both of us will be posting here with excellent results!

Old 06-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #10
    Duffman518
    (male)

Duffman518 HB User

Mistysea,

If you wouldn't mind sharing, I would be interested in hearing a little more about your past vision. I was under the impression that Lasik doesn't do anything to prevent future changes in vision. Also, my doc said that you had to have had a stable prescription for at least a year to be a candidate for Lasik. I might be wrong about that, but did your doc ask you about it?

Old 06-27-2005, 10:58 AM   #11
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Hi, I was told that since I was out of my contacts, that was what would lead to the jump in prescription. This is why most docs want you out of your contacts for at least a month if you wear extended wear contacts. I wore them pretty faithful for 4 years, and had no changes in prescription, but as soon as I was out of them and into glasses, I had the jump in prescription. I did, indeed inform the surgeon of everything I was going through with my eyes/prescription. Also, I was under the impression that your eyes would never regress to as bad as they were prior to surgery. -1 in the future is better than -10 or -11 in the future. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am praying that I am like others on this board and only require time to heal and will achieve 20/20 vision with time. One person even stated it took him 6 months to appreciate his vision. I, of course, am willing to wait the time needed, to achieve the vision I had with my contacts with my own eyes. Any hope or insight is most appreciated. Thank you.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #12
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Elizabeth, how did your surgery go today? Are you seeing any better yet?

Old 06-30-2005, 03:58 PM   #13
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

Mistysea,
    Hi, I'm back from Canada. I went to the center, all set to have my scraping done, and the doc told me that I didn't need to after all. Apparently, the Muro ointment that he gave me seems to be working. (I don't see any change in my vision.) When I asked him about the refraction in my left eye, he said that last time I was there, it was -2.50 and now it is -1.75. He is reluctant to do anything since my eyes changed so much in the 3 weeks since I was last there. Now all I can do is to keep using the ointment and hope that I notice a difference soon; if I don't, he may do a scraping at a later date, or I may end up needing an enhancement. I am sick and tired of my eyes being like this, and I was actually looking forward to just getting this fixed once and for all. Hope all goes well for you on the 5th, and keep us posted with how it goes.

Elizabeth

Old 06-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Elizabeth, I don't know if we are allowed to post email here, but if you would like my email to chat off board, let me know, OK? Because I understand the frustration. TRUST ME!!! I am glad you are healing. That is a big drop in refraction!!! Makes me hopeful it could happen for me too!!!! I am nervous about the 5th. I am like you, I WANT IT FIXED NOW, but I also don't want to do anything rash. I just expected to have the surgery and be like others, like Laner, and BAM! I can see. Not the case, but, we have time on our side and TIME truly can make it all better. Prayers help too. Please take care, keep using your meds. -1.75 IS still blurry, but if you dropped -.75 in 3 weeks, you could lose another -.75 over the next month THEN you should start to notice improvements! Take Care

[ please read and follow the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 06-30-2005 at 08:22 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 07-01-2005, 08:25 AM   #15
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Sorry for the mistake of offering email off board. So my apologies to Elizabeth and the moderator.

Closed Thread