It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Floaters

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2005, 04:28 AM   #1
    mistysea

mistysea HB User
    Unhappy Floaters

It's been 7 weeks since my surgery. As if being under-corrected in both eyes, cells under the flap and a backwards c instead of a regular starburts in the right eye wasn't enough, now i notice a serious increase in floaters. This is making me insane. i can't 'make' them move out of the way, as they roll with my eyes, not scurry aways like the one or two floaters I had before surgery. I don't even really recall ever seeing them before surgery except for 2 times in my life. I don't understand why my eyes seem to hate me so much and are rejecting this surgery so much so that I wish I had just kept my glasses/contacts. Any help/insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
    azebo
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

azebo HB User
    Re: Floaters

I had Lasik done two weeks ago and I also had some floaters before the surgery. They are very noticeable now but I think that it is more because I am constantly thinking about my vision and how I see than I was before my surgery. If I were you I would call my doctor and mention this problem because a serious increase in floaters could be a sign of retinal detachment if they are accompanied by light flashes. Before my surgery I asked my doctor if having floaters would cause any problems and he said no. He also said that having Lasik would not cause me to have more floaters.

Does having cells underneath your corneal flap hurt and when did your doctor notice these growths? I am worried that I am at risk for this problem since I had to have one of my flaps lifted and re-smoothed due to wrinkles after my surgery. Do you still have any itching or dry eye after 7 weeks?

Missy

Old 07-24-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
    azebo
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

azebo HB User

http://www.usaeyes.org/faq/subjects/floaters.htm

This is an article you may want to check out.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Hmmm says right there the surgery could make the floaters worse. Wonderful. I am really not a happy camper after my surgery at all. Wishing I had tried different contacts or just kept my glasses. No the cells didn't hurt. I had them scrapped out hoping it would clear up the backwards c I was seeing but it really didn't. I felt something like air in my eye, that's how I knew my flap wasn't quite zippered tight. I don't really have any pain in my eyes now after 7 weeks. I put drops in them about once an hour though. Between being blurry as it is and the floaters, I'm losing my mind. I am so very depressed. Man this sucks.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
    azebo
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

azebo HB User

I'm really sorry that you feel so bad. I have felt kind of depressed myself over the last two weeks, surgery is very hard but waiting and hoping that everything will turn out OK is even worse. Do you think that having an enhancement or getting some glasses to clear your vision would help? At least if you were able to see clearly then the other problems may not bother you so much. What does your doctor say about your problems? Have you had a second opinion?

Old 07-24-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

I will see the doctor tomorrow. No I haven't had a second opinion. I wish I had gone to get a second opinion BEFORE surgery and that my fear of the flap made me not get the surgery. I'm very regretful and sooo depressed. It just seems to get worse. Things weren't good and now the floaters. I can't take anything else wrong.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
    Bright Eyes
    (female)

Bright Eyes HB User

I have had floaters as long as i can remember..My doc told me that after lasik i would notice them more..but in time your brain will tell you to ignore them..I had my lasik last December and it is only when i am concentrating with my fantastic new sight that they really annoy me..Like when you are trying to see the crisp edge of an object and one of those goobers go moving by.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
    azebo
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

azebo HB User

Mistysea,
    Did you eve ask your doctor about your increase in floaters. I have also been noticing mine a lot more lately. I can't tell for sure but I think that there are more than before my surgery. Has anyone else had an increase in floaters after lasik?
    Missy

Old 08-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

Mistysea, I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble now. You have my sympathy. Yes... I also have noticed more floaters now. Before the surgery I had them, but very seldom did they bother me. Now (especially in my right eye) I seem to have the same one over and over. It is about an inch long and is kinda squiggly. It floats from the top of my vision to the bottom then fades away for awhile. I never know when I am going to see it. I hope that things improve for you, and I would definatly go to another doctor to see what he has to say. If things are that bad, they can only get better. (cliche, but true)
    Praying for you, Elizabeth

Old 08-10-2005, 07:06 AM   #10
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

I SO hope it gets better because this is really tearing me apart. Flaps in my eyes, so many floaters it's like a hurricane in my eyes when i move them and the weirdness in my right eye.....the things i want to do.....not good thoughts, not a happy place.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #11
    azebo
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

azebo HB User

Mistysea,
    What do your floaters look like? Are they hazy and see through or dark? Do you have lots of little ones or big ones that block your vision? I also have noticed that I have more floaters lately. I'm going to the eye dr. tomorrow to have mine checked out. (I've almost starting living at the eye dr.)
    I feel like we are dealing with some of the same problems and I know that is hard. I get really upset about my eyes too. Please let me know if you ever want to talk (I think that we're both from GA).
    Missy

Last edited by azebo; 08-11-2005 at 06:25 PM.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:09 AM   #12
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

Yes, I am in GA. Down near Savannah. My floaters would be described like um, cobwebs, and then like water, because when I move my eyes, they all swim around. OK. Pond scum. If you are at a pond with that green stuff, you take a stick and you drag the stick thru and make a clear path, then the scum comes right back to fill in again....my eyes are the stick. There is just a lot of 'water/fluid'-floaters. It's lines with heads on them. Is this making any sense? But it does darken my vision and blur my vision. I also have a strange backwards bending of light in the right eye. A circle of lights bends to the left, nasally, in the form of a C. Plus, I hate the fact I have a flap in my eye. I want to know it will fully seal up shut forever! Just so depressed.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #13
    azebo
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

azebo HB User

My floaters sound a lot like yours. I have several cobweb looking ones and a bunch of little strands and dots (one is right in front of my eye!). I went to the doctor today to ask him about my floaters. He said that floaters are very normal, almost everyone has them. I told him that I think I have more now after Lasik, he said that is possible since I was very nearsighted. However, he does not think that the floaters on their own are a reason for major concern. If I start seeing flashing lights, sparkles in my vision, or dark areas in my vision then I am to immediately see an eye doctor. But he seemed to think that I would be fine. The floaters are annoying and hard to ignore but maybe they will sink down with time. My doctor said that almost everyone has floaters, even him. He was very nice and talking with him helped me feel a little better. I think that the more attention I pay to my floaters the worse they seem.
    Missy

Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM   #14
    mistysea

mistysea HB User

SOOOOO did ANYONE have a ton of floaters following surgery that DID GO AWAY with time? Cause this looks like smoke or cobwebs or something in my eyes. My eye doctor says Oh yes you do have a lot. NO REALLY!? I KNOW I HAVE A LOT!!!! I CAN SEE THEM!! Man sometimes I worry these surgeons aren't as bright as we think/hope they are. It seems that the more nearsighted you are, the more floaters you can have. The surgery MAY CAUSE them (esp. Lasik because of the suction to cut the flap), but also when your focus point changes, it can make the floaters you've always had more apparent. I think we should know more about this stuff before the surgery. Would have been nice if the doc said Hey you have so many floaters right now, you really could have a mess on your hands after surgery.....Just a heads up so I could still make a decision ya know? Any way DOES IT GET BETTER!!?? Hey, does anyone with PRK/LASEK have just as many floaters after surgery or is it really just from the suction ring?

Old 08-16-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
    azebo
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

azebo HB User

I agree that the doctors should warn you about these! I've had some anxiety and depression because of mine, but I don't know of anything to do. This whole healing process has been EXTREMELY scary for me.

Closed Thread