It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Lasik Vision Institute

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
    lasik4me?
    (female)

lasik4me? HB User
    Lasik Vision Institute

Any opinions on the Lasik Vision Institute in Pittsburgh, PA?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
    cremebrulee
    (female)

cremebrulee HB User
    Re: Lasik Vision Institute

i had a consultation at LVI in Denver. I thought the prices were too good to be true. I also felt the sales person was pushy. When I got home I did a search on LVI and found horror stories. There is an article where the chief surgeon resigned because he was uncomfortable with the sales practices and the assembly line processes of LVI. There are also other complaints about bait and switch. they advertise for $199 per eye but 99.9% of people will never qualify for that price. They try to sell you punctal plugs even when you don't need them.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
    BooYeah
    (female)

BooYeah HB User

DO NOT GO TO Lasik Vision Institute AKA Laser Vision Institute!!! I used to be an employee here in Denver and quit due to ethics!!! I had Lasik done there and am back in glasses...plus the surgeon who works for them here in Denver has blinded a lady in Ohio. Just google his name...Make sure you can MEET the surgeon before your surgery. HE should be the one conducting an eye exam, not a mere opthomologist! Good luck!

Old 09-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
    sjanea74
    (female)

sjanea74 HB User

I went through the Lasik Vision Institute in Brookfield, WI as did my sister and two other people I know. I now have better than perfect vision and my sister and the other people I know who went there have perfect vision.

I did research and ask a lot of questions about the surgeon as well as their process. I was comfortable knowing other people that had good results at the same clinic. You need to ask about the rate of customers that need corrective surgery as well as the rate of patients that have other side effects. The doc that did my surgery had performed over 20,000 surgeries. Know the degree of your vision correction. If you have a lot of astigmatism, you are not a good cantidate for LASIK and may need a different procedure. If you have a strong prescription, you are more likely to need a correction. Also, the stronger the prescription, the longer they have to use the laser for and the more it will cost.

I also highly recommend the collagen tear duct plugs - they block your tear ducts so you aren't supposed to have as much trouble with eye dryness after surgery. I got them and only had to use drops for the first two weeks. I had my surgery over 2 years ago.

Last edited by sjanea74; 09-19-2005 at 05:20 PM.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
    cremebrulee
    (female)

cremebrulee HB User

i was very nearsighted. my prescription was -10.25 in both eyes. if you are the ideal candidate for lasik, meaning your prescription is relatively low, no astigmatism, perfect corneas, etc...you do not need much expertise. like my doctor told me, the lasik procedure is relatively easy because the laser does all the work. i know many people who had great results with low budget lasik centers. i just didn't want to be cheap with my eyes. these are the only ones i have and i wasn't willing to risk them. what is a couple hundred dollars? i will use my eyes for another 60-70 years.

i never had trouble with dryness. i live in the driest state. i sleep with a humidifier on. i never use my preservative free drops.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
    jkm3253
    (female)

jkm3253 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjanea74
    I went through the Lasik Vision Institute in Brookfield, WI as did my sister and two other people I know. I now have better than perfect vision and my sister and the other people I know who went there have perfect vision.

I did research and ask a lot of questions about the surgeon as well as their process. I was comfortable knowing other people that had good results at the same clinic. You need to ask about the rate of customers that need corrective surgery as well as the rate of patients that have other side effects. The doc that did my surgery had performed over 20,000 surgeries. Know the degree of your vision correction. If you have a lot of astigmatism, you are not a good cantidate for LASIK and may need a different procedure. If you have a strong prescription, you are more likely to need a correction. Also, the stronger the prescription, the longer they have to use the laser for and the more it will cost.

I also highly recommend the collagen tear duct plugs - they block your tear ducts so you aren't supposed to have as much trouble with eye dryness after surgery. I got them and only had to use drops for the first two weeks. I had my surgery over 2 years ago.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
    jkm3253
    (female)

jkm3253 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjanea74

hello thanks for your post!!!! i am going to the lasik vison institute in brookfield, wi and am scared big time!!! Your post has been so very reassuring! perhaps now i can quit worrying so much! jkm

Closed Thread