It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• My battle for LASIK

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
    Draco04
    (male)

Draco04 HB User
    My battle for LASIK

Hello everyone,

I'm new around here and I was reading some topics on LASIK and such. But first let me start by telling you the basis of my problem.

I am currently 23 years old. I wear glasses and I have amblyopia in my right eye and its pretty severe. I mean I can see out of the eye its just blurry. My vision is 20/100 in the right eye and 20/80 in the good eye. I have spoken to my eye doctor on several ocassions reguarding my vision and it took me a trip to the local blind center to get indepth info about my vision and where I stand. She never once told me I had amblyopia or "Lazy Eye" and I was never even given the chance to have it corrected. I was born crosseyed and I had to have surgery to get my eyes uncrossed. Well I asked my eye doctor about LASIK and she looked at a few books she had in her office and sat down and gave me a pretty straight answer...which perplexes me because she did'nt seem to barely glance at anything I wanted information for. All I want is to be like any normal kid my age, and drive a vehicle. Now right now I know I would'nt be able to drive because I use my strong eye for everything and its not good enough. My perpherial vision is not so good neither. I really would like some opinions on what I can do because noone wants to give me answers. I mean I'm willing to try any kind of corrective surgery to hopefully fix whats wrong now. I know LASIK is'nt a perfect but I really need some advice because my life right now is getting worse and worse and I cant even drive to work if I had to. SSI was denied because i'm not legally blind, and I appealed so many times. Please can someone shed some light for me? Hopefully some good news? If more information is needed please dont hesitate to ask.

I really appreciate everyones opinions/ideas, and I really enjoy this community.

Thank You!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
    sdv
    (female)

sdv HB User
    Re: My battle for LASIK

Hi Draco04,

I see that noone has responded to you yet, so I thought I would give my 2 cents! First of all, I am very sorry to hear about your problems. No one should have to go through stuff like that especially at such a young age! I have a feeling that you probably didn't get any responses, because noone probably knows whether or not lasik can help you. We are all here because we just want advice about the surgery or because we are having complications afterward! I think you probably need to seek out a second opinion if you are unhappy with your current doctors advice. Also, I believe there are other places on the internet that you can actually go and ask lasik doctors for their opinions. Maybe trying doing a search for one of those sites or try to find an experienced lasik surgeon in your area to go speak with. I think this board is more of a peer type thing, so there would be no doctors out here to see your post. However, you may be able to find someone out on the "Eye & Vision" section of this healhboard who could give you advice. There may be someone out there who also has amblyopia and could offer you some ideas.

Well, sorry I could offer no other assistance, I just couldn't stand to watch your post go unanswered another day, since you seemed so sincere in asking for advice!! I hope that you are able to find a doctor that can give you answers as to whether or not lasik can help your condition. I really wish you the best of luck, and I hope you can find something to improve your vision!!! Oh, and if you find that lasik can help you in some way, we will all be here to answer all your pre and post surgery questions! Good luck!

Michelle

Old 11-05-2005, 05:06 AM   #3
    Draco04
    (male)

Draco04 HB User

Ahh, I see now. I had no idea lol, I just wanted a little advice thats all. I really appreciate you responding, as noone else did but it's alright. I guess I will just have to keep searching for answers...it just feels like I'm looking for something that probably is'nt there, meaning something I want so bad probably wont be available to me. Thank you so much, now I have an idea about what these forums are about. Did'nt hurt to ask I guess!

Thanks!!

Old 11-05-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
    sdv
    (female)

sdv HB User

Hi Draco04!

Yep, I hope that you are able to find the answers you are looking for. I'm here because I am suffering from dry eyes after lasik. Besides this forum, I've also met alot of great people over in the Eye & Vision one. Their dry eye problems are not due to lasik, but they have been very encouraging, and have lots of suggestions on how to deal with it. So, maybe you could find someone in your situation over there. I didn't feel like my lasik surgeon was giving me the best post-op care, so I got a second opinion from another opthomologist, and wow....I think she spent 10 times as long with me as the docs at the lasik place have combined in 4 months! So, finding the right doctor may be a big step in answering some of your questions! Well, good luck with everything, and I hope you find what you are looking for!

Michelle

Old 11-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

I have amblyopia in my left eye. It is very severe (had herpe scarring on cornea at age 5) and I primarily use my right eye which is very near sighted. I can't remember what it was like to have vision out of both eyes.

I have been wearing glasses since a little kid. Amblyopia has a chance of being corrected in young children. Once you get too old, as you and I both are, it is too late. When you are born, up until the age of around five, your brain is making connections to the eye. When something blocks a child's vision, such as a scar on the cornea, or lack of use from a lazy eye, the connections from the brain to the eye are not used and become lost. Sort of a use it or lose it thing. That is why doctors try to do something about it when a child is little. For me they learned this concept too late.

I have been driving now with the one good eye using corrective lenses for over 34 years. I am an excellent driver. I can't see why glasses are not correcting your vision in your good eye. Is it that glasses can only get your vision to 20/80?

Well I would never get lasik with only one good eye. The lasik cannot help with the amblyopia since only fixing the connections from your eye to your brain would work and we do not have the technology to do that yet.

If the best that glasses can do is make your vision 20/80, I would get a second opinion with an opthalmolgist at a major university medical center. Don't trust your one good eye to just anyone. Don't rush into anything without getting several opinions.

Good luck and let us know what you have learned.

Closed Thread