It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• PRK Lasik?? Anyone??? What's up with this???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
    Elyse S.
    (female)

Elyse S. HB User
    Wink PRK Lasik?? Anyone??? What's up with this???

Hi everyone,
    I am beside myself. I had PRK 2 1/2 weeks ago. PRK is Photorefractive Lasik. It's Lasik for those who have had prior eye trauma. They do not make the corneal flap as they do with regular Lasik. They go right through the cornea. I had RK (Radial Keratotomy) about 25 years ago, and have been back in contacts for about 10 years now. They can't make a flap as it could just tear into pieces. So, I opted for PRK Lasik to fix this as the contacts were hurting my eyes and glasses? Nope!!!

This had to be the single most painful surgery I have ever had, and I've had a few. I can take the pain. 2 C-sections with no pain meds? But this sucked!!
    My right eye is beautiful, but my left is like nothing was done at all, and with the pain I had, I KNOW something was done to it. 4 days of excruciating pain. I regret ever doing this and wished I could just go back to the easy days of seeing clearly with contacts, as much of a hassle that it was, it was better than this!

So my question is, is this ever going to clear up? Am I doomed to see 20/8000 (that's what it seems like) out of my left eye forever? I can see the top two lines of the eye chart, and that's it (with my Left eye)!
    Why does one eye turn out so good and the other is such a dissapointment?

My friend at work says it's like any other surgery. They cut you open, air/gas or whatever gets in there, and you can't poop for 5 days. With this eye, there is a build up of air/gas/water, whatever, underneath my cornea that has to be absorbed by my body and then the cornea will lay down as it should. Do I believe this? Could this be it?

The docs office just says don't compare the two eyes. They are two separate entities and heal differently from eachother. I would think by now, I would see some improvment, but I see nothing, literally!!! I work for Alcon, the eye people, I can take it. I have extracted a cataract from an eye before. Don't give me the run around! Tell me WHY this is, not that "it'll take time... separate entities..."! I'm not buying that anymore, and am really worried about having to have touch-ups done as I'm really not up for that pain again. Paying another doc to fix this mistake???

Any words of encouragement out there? Anyone have a similar experience??? Please let me know as this is all I think about. Can't help it, can't see clearly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
    sdv
    (female)

sdv HB User
    Re: PRK Lasik?? Anyone??? What's up with this???

Hi Elyse,

I'm so sorry to hear of your problems. I dont' have any great advice for you, but I will share what I know. I had lasik, not PRK, but I have had dry eye complications for the last 7 months from it. In my searches to find answers to my dry eye problems, I have come across some sites where people are asking about PRK recoveries. From what I've seen it sounds like PRK is a MUCH slower healing process than lasik and that it is very common for the vision to take a while to stabilize. So, please try to be patient...in the meantime though, have you been back to your doctor? I think it is always better to be safe than sorry in situations like this. So, if you think something is wrong, bug them until they give you some real answers! Also, I have found that a second opinion helped for me. It atleast helped ease my nerves that there were no other underlying issues causing my problems and that I just needed to be patient and let my eyes heal.

As for the eyes healing independently from one another. I can speak from experience on this one. The vision in my right eye has been about the same since the day after my surgery. However, my left eye has fluctuated quite a bit....nothing as bad as you are describing, but again, I had lasik, which does have quicker visual stabilization than PRK I believe. Also, the dryness in my left eye has always been worse. They have told me the same thing they are telling you when I ask why that is. They say that the eyes will heal completely independently of one another. At first, I was concerned, but the more stories I hear, the more it sounds like that is the truth. Anyway, I hope this helps in some way. I know how it is hard to stop thinking about this...afterall, it is our eyes! How are we supposed to forget about them when we are using them constantly!? If you can though, please try to relax. I really hope that you begin to notice improvements soon and that you have a smooth recovery from here. Take care.

Michelle

Old 01-24-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User
    Re: PRK Lasik?? Anyone??? What's up with this???

Elyse,
    I had Lasik, not PRK so, I can't speak from that specific experience. But, I do know that our eyes do heal separately of one another. Basically, if you broke both of your arms, they would both heal at different rates/speeds. Your eyes were probably not the same before your surgery either. One may have been 20/40 and the other 20/60 and, believe it or not, even that can change ever so slightly day to day, hour by hour, minute by minute. Fortunately for us, that change is so minor that our brains don't comprehend it so we don't notice it. So, while it is a pain in the butt, it is pretty normal. For the first couple months after my surgery, my right eye would be pretty decent (minor blurriness) and my left eye would be blurry, dry and irritated. Even a year later, my left eye has dry eye issues throughout the day while my right eye is only dry first thing in the AM and maybe sometime throughout the day once a week. Consider the fact that they didn't shoot one laser at both of your eyes at the same time. They had to do one, then the other. That may help you realize the truth behind your eyes being 2 seperate entities. Most likely, after they did one eye, they had to recalibrate the machine in order to do the other one. So, they were two distinct surgeries.

I hope that helped some. From my experience, your is normal. But, just to be sure, go see your regular eye doctor (since you will need to in about 6 months anyway) and see what he or she has to tell you. He or she will be impartial and will be completely honest with you.

Take care and let us know how things go!

Old 01-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
    Elyse S.
    (female)

Elyse S. HB User
    Wink Re: PRK Lasik?? Anyone??? What's up with this???

Hey guys,
    You know... Your words do help. It is nice to know that my situation, as hard as it is, seems to be a taking the course of a normal recovery. As I have said, it is just so fustrating when I can see the street sign in front of me at a stop light so clearly out of the right, and can't even read it out of the left. Arrrrggghhhh!!!

I really don't have any dry eye problems, yet, as I am dropping pretty much every hour (sometimes more) on a very regular basis. Still doing my prescribed drops too.

I did talk to the doc yesterday, and she tells me the gas/air theory is not what is going on. I had 20/40 in the right before surgery, and 20/100 in the left. The amount of cornea removal, yada yada yada done to the left was more than the right. This much I already knew. She said I could come in for them to look at the cornea and maybe perscribe glasses for now(which pretty much defeats my purpose), but I'm gonna try to be patient and wait a couple more weeks. If it's not any better in a few weeks, say by Feb 6, as the surgery was Jan 6, then I'll go in and have the check done. I may anyhew just to be absolutly sure. The second opinion may be an option too.

The first half hour of the morning, after I first awake, the left eye is clear. This gives me hope. After about a half hour though, the eyes revert to their daily routine. Patience is not one of my best vertues, but I suppose it is going to have to become one.

And one last thing, my husband had lasik about 5 months ago, same doctor, and he has no problems. Maybe a little dryness, nothing drops won't cure. I'm so jealous. Oh well... this is the way it is, and life must go on. Hopefully, time will heal this wound.

Thanks for your responses, it DOES help!!!
    Elyse

Old 02-20-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
    mi85vette
    (female)

mi85vette HB User
    Cool Re: PRK Lasik?? Anyone??? What's up with this???

My husband had the PRK done just 2 weeks ago and we went for his 2 week check up and they took him off the eye drops except the moisture ones and said his eyes are over correcting themselves. How weird is this? SO far he is happy with the surgey and from what the office told us at first he was gonna have Lasiks done but when we got to the palce he was to have surgery they did a thorough exam and sai d no he couldnt because his cornea was to thin and he had to have prk, this surgery ended up being cheaper for him because one eye was 699.00 and the other was 1099.00 his left eye was more because it was worse then his right eye. So far the only complaint he has had is that once inawhile his vision is blurring for a second and it goes away, he said at time of surgery there was no pain and no burning in his eyes like some had the next day at the check up. Im scheduled in 2 weeks for lasiks but after reading all these boards im almost affraid to, has anyone been to the Chicago Lasik vision institute for surgery??? By the way i see alot of people complain about the cost but i just had my exam two days ago and i was told if i go to where the surgery is done then i didnt have to pay for my consoltation od pre-op exam but if i didnt have surgery within three months id have to have the pre-op done again and i would not be billed for the pre-op exam if i didnt have surgery either, so i guess if you go to a place that is tied in with the Eye glass world and sends you else where for surgery then you pay the first palce the 300.00 but if you go straight to the surgery place they dont from my experience.

Closed Thread