It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Intralase experience

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
    onataliya
    Inactive
    (female)

onataliya HB User
    Intralase experience

I had intralase done almost 2 months ago. It was healing very slowly. I couldn`t focuse on objects for a long time. Eyes got tired quickly and felt weak. I had dry eyes and some pain. Also, vision was not like it was with glasses, especially for the first weeks. It felt as if you are looking through some sort of glass which was not natural. I did have some blurriness in the right eye which was quite bothersome, seems like it`s going away now.
    Currently, the main problem for me is that the quality of vision after this procedure is not as good as it was with glasses, it`s not as sharp and crisp, and it feels like I need to put glasses back on to get the sharpness back. They told me I have 20.15, 20.20 vision, but It feels like I`m looking through some very thin vail or smth which is quite irritating. The difference in the quality of vision and pain in the eyes caused me a lot of stress. Mine was conventional intralase Lasik as I understand I didn`t need Custom. Also, the procedure was very painful as they apply a lot of pressure to the eyes for the laser to make the flap for smth like 30 seconds per eye.
    What was your healing process after intralase like and what is the quality of vision like, is it the same as with glasses?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
    q1w2e3

q1w2e3 HB User
    Re: Intralase experience

I am 1 month post-op Intralase lasik. My left eye came in clear the on the first day. The vision quality in my left appears to be as good as with glasses. My right eye however has the same haze/fog you describe since the day of surgery. No changes at all. I have the halos and starbursts at night in both eyes but slightly worse in the right.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
    q1w2e3

q1w2e3 HB User

Onataliya,
    Could you please keep us posted on your progress. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
    onataliya
    Inactive
    (female)

onataliya HB User

Hi,

Well, I`m now a little bit over 2 months after surgery. It seems like things are improving, today as a matter of fact is not too bad.. I hope. Yesterday I went out in the sun and that irritated the eyes.. That never happened before the surgery.. On the whole it was such a stressful experience. If I only knew what it would be like before I got it done I wouldn`t probably even do it.
    Another thing is I thought that Intralase is better then regular Lasik with mikrokeratome, safer, it turned out that the healing was so painful that I think that regular Lasik is probably better. The surgeon who did the procedure doesn`t even offer regular Lasik, so I thought it must be better then as I was a little bit afraid of the blade.. If I only knew what it will be like..They say that Lasik is painless, I don`t know about regular Lasik but Intralase is very painful.. Was it painful for you? What made you choose Intralase? Did your surgeon offer regular Lasik with the blade? Did he explain both procedures to you? As I read on the Internet, they usually do, but my surgeon didn`t even offer regular Lasik and obviously didn`t say anything about it to me which I think is not fair as the patient should be fully educated and know advantages of both.. As far as my vision, blurriness in the right eye is going away now..after 2 months and it seems like the vision is crisper now..
    At first it hurt even walking.. Terrible.
    It`s interesting that you had a problem with your right eye just like I did.. My left eye came out clear the 1st day.. Also, they didn`t tell me about keeping my eyes closed after the procedure for several hours. They gave me drops to put in the eye every hour so that`s what I was doing right after the procedure..Actually, they did mention to keep them closed but they didn`t stress it and didn`t explain why it`s important to keep them closed ( I know now that the flap can shift if you don`t keep them closed). The next day post op the doctor said that the flap in the right eye shifted a little bit..but that it will heal.. and then I started having problems in that eye, blurriness, vision fluctuations, scratchy feeling. I didn`t have any of that in my left eye..
    But the doc said that it was not flap related..I don`t know.. Were your flaps fine the next day, did you sleep after the procedure?
    So, how are you doing?

Natalia.

Last edited by onataliya; 03-05-2006 at 09:57 AM.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
    q1w2e3

q1w2e3 HB User

Natalia,
    Thanks for the in depth update. I went with the intralase for basically the same reasons that you listed in your update. I experienced no pain beyond the first 12 hours or so after the surgery. I slept the whole evening and night after surgery. I have not had any flap problems. As I mentioned earlier, my problem has been the hazy/foggy vision in my right eye, at all distances. I had my surgeon examine me two days ago and he says that the problem is being caused by healing haze underneath the right flap. I also have some healing haze under the left flap but it is not as bad as the right. The difference between the vision in both eyes is definitely noticeable. He says that the haze will disipate over the following weeks and months. I'm very concerned at this point because I have not noticed any perceptible changes in vision in either eye, good or bad, since the day after surgery on 2/1/06 - more than a month ago. My left was clear the next day, just like yourself. Two days ago, he said everthing else is fine - flaps, healing, no dryness, etc. 20/20 left, 20/25 right.

Also, I might add, I am still having the halo, glare, starbursts at night. Are you experiencing this?

Has your vision quality that you initially described improved closer to what you had with glasses?

Thanks, please keep me posted.

Last edited by q1w2e3; 03-05-2006 at 01:17 PM.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #6
    onataliya
    Inactive
    (female)

onataliya HB User

Hi,
    Today was a bad day.. Red, irritated eyes.. I definitely regret now what I did.. My vision is still not perfect, not as crisp. I still see as though through a vail..And I was teaching today and noticed that I can`t see up close very well either.. That`s just sickening.. My body is just aching all over.. I`m so stressed and scared.. I was thinking about it and realized that they didn`t give me the written consent to take home to read.. I think if I read all about the complications from these procedure carefully at home I would probably change my mind. Instead they quickly showed me some video about Lasik, I don`t even remember signing anything, but I probably did...That definitely was a rushed and badly informed decision...The thing is I knew about terrible complications from the blade procedure, but for some reason was thinking that Intralase is better and doesn`t have a lot of complications.. What a mistake! The stress and pain I`ve been through for the past 2 months is definitely not worth it.. I missed out on so many things.. My whole life is turned upside down, I developed anxiety. If I was wearing glasses my life would`ve been normal and stress free and happy.. And what is worse I don`t know what to expect now.. How much longer will I have to suffer and will I be able to make it? They say it can take up to 6 months or longer.. Anyone considering Lasik should know about possible problems. How much pain can you handle? Please keep me posted on your progress. I will do the same.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
    onataliya
    Inactive
    (female)

onataliya HB User

Hi, I don`t have a lot of halos, glare or starbursts.. I used to have a little bit of halos around lights, but I think they are going away. The worst problem for me is not so good quality of vision as I explained, both near and in general, that affects my concentration too..and that also makes me feel disoriented sometimes..

Old 04-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
    q1w2e3

q1w2e3 HB User

Natalia,
    If you're still out there can you please update us.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
    jkm3253
    (female)

jkm3253 HB User

I for one had the microtome and not the inralase, but I agree with you, so it sounds like a horse a piece. I had my surgery on Feb. 16 and I sure hope i get better,,,,I feel like my vision for across the room in a restaurant, for example, is fuzzy and I supposed to be 20/20 in one eye and 20/25 in the other. I am experiencing some pain on and off,, so stressed out. Good luck to us all! I at times think i shouda skipped it!

Old 04-04-2006, 06:31 AM   #10
    bowriter
    (female)

bowriter HB User

For your haziness and halos, you both might want to take some Vitamin C daily. 500 mg in the morning and another 500 mg later in the day for 1,000 mg per day. I read this on the Internet and asked my lasik doctor about it and three of the doctors at the clinic confirmed that this can help and they often suggest it.

I have not had any halos or glare at night. In fact, I'm the only patient he has that has said that I prefer to drive at night rather than face the sun! I started takin "C" two weeks pre-surgery and I am still taking it although I've cut back to 500 mg per day. My surgery was 2/15. I can't say that Vitamin C was the factor in this, but I know that I see better at night than I ever did pre-surgery. It also helped with my sinuses and got rid of my foot cramps! That's incentive enough for me to keep taking it.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
    onataliya
    Inactive
    (female)

onataliya HB User

Hi everyone,
    I`m back and have one thing to tell you. This surgery (intralase), don`t know about the blade, is a big, big problem for me. It`s hard to adjust to a "new" type of vision, quite stressful and annoying. When you wear glasses you don`t think about your eyes cause they don`t bother you.. But now you always have something and that`s not a good life.. All you do is think about your eyes.. I hope this will improve but it already caused me so much trouble..It has been 3 months now since my surgery and it`s still hard..I can`t adjust to it.. Personally, I wouldn`t recommend it, but then again, everybody is different..But if you think about it, remember, that there could be serious problems you don`t want to have.. Life is difficult enough without them. Mine was completely different before I had this done, I was happy, carefree, nothing borthered me.. So, how are you all guys doing with your Intralase experience?

Old 04-25-2006, 04:43 AM   #12
    Jachimo

Jachimo HB User

Wow....I have had EXACTLY the same experience as you both. I hope that you still check this site from time to time. My right eye is still VERY blury/ hazy indeed. I have to put drops in,.....both eyes are dry, but I fell improving slightly. When I put a preservative free srop in my right eye, it gets better for a few seconds, then goes away. Did this happen to you? Have your eyes improved? I am hoping that my dr is not feeding me a load of junk.....they tell me that the more your do to an eye ( I had astigmatism, badly)...the longer that it may take to heal. Has that been your experience as well?

I am hopeing you see this and are able to reply. I don't know if you can email from this site, but if you can and want to email me specificatlly feel free

[email]REMOVED[/email].

Thank you for your post. It actually gives me hope that I am not the only one out there experiencing this

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-25-2006 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
    Jachimo

Jachimo HB User

sorry about that. no offense intended. I really was just looking for a swift reply and hoping that someone with similar experience with intralase could help. Thanks for letting me know.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
    onataliya
    Inactive
    (female)

onataliya HB User

Hi!
    Well, I don`t particularly like my new vision from Intralase as it`s different from what I`ve had with glasses. It has been 4 months now. As far as hasiness in the right eye it seems like it`s going away now but very slowly. Also, the pupil in the right eye is bigger than it was before the surgery. I`ve had dry, red eyes for 4 months, we`ll see what it`ll be like in the future. Overall, my intralase experience was bad, stressful, I wish I could return back to wearing glasses..

Old 05-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #15
    q1w2e3

q1w2e3 HB User

Natalia,

Has the haziness in your vision in the left eye improved at all?

Closed Thread