It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Athlete 3 Months Post Lasik and Struggling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
    ep451
    (male)

ep451 HB User
    Athlete 3 Months Post Lasik and Struggling

Since I made my last post too long and no one is really responding to it I'm going to just keep this one short. Basically it's been three months since I had lasik done, (20/20 in both eyes out of surgery and now 20/20 and 20/25) and I am having trouble judging a soccer ball as a goalkeeper. I seem to have trouble focusing in and adjusting to any sort of fast moving object soccer ball, baseball, etc, I just can't seem to pick it up until it's about 10-15 feet in front of me, and it's hard to judge the ball coming at a distance (dynamic vision). More so this is something that I have never had a problem with, and I was fine with a couple weeks out of surgery, but it has gotten worse and worse over the past couple of months. My optometrist keeps telling me that it should return to normal, but I haven't made any progress, and at this point he is concerned too. Basically, has anyone out there had this happen to them where post lasik it's difficult to focus in on fast moving objects such as baseballs or soccer balls etc??? And if so were you able to get it back? I have heard about this happening to many baseball and tennis players where after lasik this sort of thing happened and they never get their dynamic vision back so it scares me. Please if anyone has any information or expierience out there with this I would appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited by ep451; 04-02-2006 at 08:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
    sdv
    (female)

sdv HB User
    Re: Athlete 3 Months Post Lasik and Struggling

Hi Ep451,

I actually did read your first post (the long one), but not really sure I had any good info to give. However, since no one else is responding, I will. I cannot say that I have had the same problems that you are having, but I can say that at 9-months post-op, my eyes are STILL changing. My vision fluctuated all over the place for the first 6-months. I think that alot of it was due to dry eye (which I am still dealing with), but some of it was just my eyes healing and changing I think. I hope that in the next few months things change for you as well.

Do you know if maybe you have some astigmatism or something from the surgery? Have you seen another doctor for a second opinion? Since you mention that things have gotten worse, I wonder if maybe your vision has regressed or that you know have astigmatism or something causing your trouble? Anyway, I just thought I would throw this out there. I really would seek a second opinion at this point. Good luck and keep us posted!

Michelle

Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User
    Re: Athlete 3 Months Post Lasik and Struggling

ep,
    I too read your first post but, I didn't have the experience to try to help you out. I'm sorry! But, when I read your post, the first thing that came to my mind was that you mentioned you were pretty young. And, you mentioned that, before your surgery, your eyes were getting worse at a pretty steady rate. Usually, a Lasik doctor won't do the surgery on a patient until their vision has stabalized and stayed at roughly the same prescription for 2 years. They don't want to see major vision changes if any at all. If your vision was still so drastically changing before your surgery, it is possible that they should have held off on the surgery. I don't recall how old you said you were. I think I remember that most Lasik docs refrain from people that are under 21 years of age because, your eyes are still changing until then as you get older. Now, I don't know if that means that your eyes are still changing in shape or sight. But, I could swear I remember that age is a factor.

Like Michelle said, I would go get a second, and even a third opinion.

Take care and I am sorry I couldn't be more help on what you are experiencing. Keep in touch and I hope that it all straightens out for you. Try to keep in mind that, like Michelle said, there is a ton of fluctuation that your eyes will go through over the next several months...all the way up to 18 months post op and maybe even longer.

Closed Thread