It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Scheduled for Bladeless (Intralase) Lasik... Thinking of Backing out!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
    TheOcean
    (male)

TheOcean HB User
    Exclamation Scheduled for Bladeless (Intralase) Lasik... Thinking of Backing out!!

After I read some of the stories of post-op Lasik complications some of you on these boards have been having, I'm seriously thinking of backing out of my surgery I have scheduled for next month! Right now my vision seems pretty stable at 23, my left eye @ -4 and my right at -3.5. My doctor told me I would be a perfect candidate for Lasik, as I have no history of health issues or problems with my eyes, and he said I have very thick cornea which is supposedly ideal. After talking with him, and discussing the potential dangers and such, he made feel very comfortable, making it seem as if I should have no worries whatsoever! Then I decided to do more research online, and reading some of these testimonials has me a little scared. Is the risk associated with Lasik far higher than doctors would suggest, or am I just reading a flawed sample of testmonials online? By flawed sample I mean, it could be possible that I am more likely going to read horror stories than success stories on such forums, as patients with complications are more likely to post concerns than people with flawless procedures post about their success. What do you guys think? Should I opt out of Lasik? Is there better/safer technology on the horizon worth waiting for?

Last edited by TheOcean; 04-14-2006 at 04:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
    sdv
    (female)

sdv HB User
    Re: Scheduled for Bladeless (Intralase) Lasik... Thinking of Backing out!!

I think that in general it probably is more likely to read about the bad stories. However, having been to many lasik sites myself, I think this forum is a bit different. There are plenty of happy lasik patients here too. I'm not sure what to tell you about the complication rate and wheter or not it is higher than what doctors say. All that I know, is that lasik is not the over night miracle that most people think it is. Even if things work out fine in the end, as you can see from some posts on this forum, the recovery period can be very rough.

I'm 26 and 9 months post-lasik. I still have very painful dry eye, which hopefully will go away. However, there is still a chance that it may never get any better. I was also told I was an excellent candidate. I do think that technology will get better and the procedure will be safer in the future. You are still very young, so it can't hurt to wait. Obviously since I've had a bad outcome, I would say don't do it....BUT many others will tell you otherwise. The thing is, you really can't take anyone elses stories (good or bad) as an indication of how you will do. There are NO guarantees with lasik. So, regardless of how good of a candidate you are, there is ALWAYS a chance that things will go wrong. So, you just need to consider if you really want to risk something happening to your eyes. Just remember, they are the only pair you get, and you cannot undo any damage that lasik may cause. I was nervous about my surgery too, and had read some bad stories, but I just thought...oh that is rare...it wont' be me. Well, now it is, and I can tell you that for me, lasik certainly wasn't worth the risk. I feel really stupid for taking such a gamble with my eyes and may be paying for it for a very long time. Dry eye has negatively altered my life in so many ways that I couldn't even have imagined until I experienced it. I would do anything to take back my glasses and contacts. Good luck with your decision.

Michelle

Old 04-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
    Ilovetocruise
    (female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

It wasn't worth the risk to me either.
    I heard how i was a perfect candidate, there are rarely side effects, yada yada yada
    I am going to have it repeated next month because i know have astigmatism from uneven healing. I have ghosting with reading, and halos at night.
    Sight cannot be taken for granted. Think hard about taking the risk. There are plenty of people who are very happy with it, haven't had any problems, etc....but you need to realize that problems can happen.
    I never thought i would be one to do poorly, but i did.
    Good luck with your decision

Old 04-19-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
    icansee
    (male)

icansee HB User

I also have read one horror story after another on the internet when I had scheduled my lasik procedure. I can tell you that my procedure went PERFECTLY! Two hours later i was seeing perfectly. Yes ofcourse your eyes have to be healthy be a "good candidate". I had mine done 1 week ago and I am seeing perfectly in the day and in the evening. No such halos or starbursts or anything of the sort. There can be many factors as to why these folks are having bad results. Who is the surgeon? How healthy are they? Are they following the post op instructions? This has been a tremendous experience for me. Not only have i had these fantastic results but so has my sister-in-law, my mom, my cousin and a friends mom. Everyone will experience things differently, but if you have the right surgeon with the right equipment you will be just fine. Good Luck.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
    Ilovetocruise
    (female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

I am 47, perfectly healthy, and followed my instructions to the letter.
    My surgeon is among the top 10 in the country and does many of the pro athletes and actors eyes.
    There are risks to consider and they can happen to anyone! I thought i wouldn't have a problem....i am scheduled for an enhancement next month. Hopefully that will correct the problem. But, everybody needs to consider the fact that complications can occur and be ready to deal with them

Old 04-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
    TheOcean
    (male)

TheOcean HB User

Right now I'm reallly on the fence. I called up my doctor and left a msg saying I'm considering cancelling the procedure, but have yet to speak to him yet. The risks certainly are a concern, but I'm also concerned by the fact that the procedure has irreversible effects on the eye. If they come out with better technology (which most certainly they will), us ex-lasik patients will be stuck with lasik. I think while Lasik has come a long way, it still has a lot of room for improvement. Namely, the relatively common sides of dry eyes, halos, light sensitivity, etc, and the fact that most patients have to come in for readjustments in the future (6+ years down the line). What if, several years from now they come out with a procedure that requires no flaps, has far fewer complications, and produces near gauranteed super vision (20/10+)! I see that as what the future holds for corrective eye surgery.

There's also the issue of cost. My doctor is charging $5,400 for the procedure, which seems pretty pricey to me. Is this about standard right now?

Old 04-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
    Ilovetocruise
    (female)

Ilovetocruise HB User

My procedure was $4800, so your quote doesn't seem too out of line. it is good that you are doing your research ahead of time, and not rushing into it.
    I wish you good luck whatever path you choose

Old 04-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
    riddick
    (male)

riddick HB User

"but if you have the right surgeon with the right equipment you will be just fine"...

That statement is not true. People heal differently and post-lasik dry eye has no relationship to the the tools or proficiencies of a surgeon. There are risks...plain and simple. True, an experienced surgeon with the right tools will minimize the risks of complications, but there are some complications such as post-lasik dry eye that are completely unpredicable. My sister had Lasik done at a different place than I and we both had close to a year of dry eye. We are both doing fine now, but our rates of healing were almost identical. I would think that genetics may play a role with this type of complilcation.

I am happy with my outcome and I think that you will hear more issues than good stories on this board because of the nature of this website. I would do it again, but I have to admit that the dry eye syndrom was ten times worse than I imagined. However, it's the permanent complications that should be most concerning. If you are willing to wait a bit I would do so...you never know what may come around the corner.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
    lolitazz
    (male)

lolitazz HB User

Any surgery can have complications because it depends on the patient, but I think it has a lot to do with the surgeon too. I would not just go to any doctor to have my eyes operated on.

Mine was a little more complicated. My family recovered in 24 hours w/ Lasik. No problems at all. When I went to have mine with the same doctor I didn't qualify b/c my cornea was not thick enough. So I had another procedure called Lasek which is more painful and the results are less guaranteed. It took me like 2 months to fully recovery. I'm not 20/20 but at least I can see with without glasses. I used to be like -7, -8. Now I'm either 20/25 or 20/30. The bottomline I can see without my glasses. The surgeon said I can have a follow up procedure to be 20/20 but I would not have it. I'm happy with my results and I don't want to be in pain again.

Closed Thread