It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Glare/Halos/Starbursts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
    JEM33
    (female)

JEM33 HB User
    Glare/Halos/Starbursts

I had lasik eye surgery 3 months ago and I am still experiencing glare, halos and starbursts, not only just at night either. Did anyone have this after surgery and found it resolved or improved at all? Just wondering how long these things take to resolve.

J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
    Ilovetocruise
    (female)

Ilovetocruise HB User
    Re: Glare/Halos/Starbursts

Yes, I had, and still have the same problem. My lasik caused astigmatism that i didn't have before the procedure. I had my original surgery in Dec, 05. In June, it hadn't changed, so they did an enhancement with no improvement. I am currently wearing a contact in my right eye, which is the worse of the 2. I have monovision, and this is my reading eye. When i read, I have to wear reading glasses over the contact. The contact was taking care of the ghosting and halos, but not anymore. I just had to make yet another appointment with my doctor. I am very frustrated and unhappy with my results. I had the best Lasik guy in So. Cal too which makes it even harder....i have gone for consults to correct this with other physicians, and they won't treat me because the doc who did me is so well known

Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
    Marcalans
    Inactive
    (male)

Marcalans HB User

I'm curious -- who is this great surgeon in Southern California? I'm having the same problem (suspect a decentered ablation) and it would help if I knew to avoid him. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
    stefanie_810
    (female)

stefanie_810 HB User

I had one eye done in June '98 and have such bad halos I refused to get the second eye done. It has been a nightmare having one eye with 20/20 vision, and one eye with bad vision that I have to wear a contact in...when possible b/c of some eye pain I am experiencing.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
    Marcalans
    Inactive
    (male)

Marcalans HB User

Thanks for the response Gandhi. I, however, have very small pupils (4mm as measured with the Colvard Pupillometer). In fact, my pupils were really too small to obtain an accurate wavefront analysis and, according to the VISX Star S4 handbook, the safety of LASIK surgery with the S4 has not been evaluated for pupils smaller than 6mm. My surgeon told me none of this. In fact, he came into the examination room gleaming and said my measurements were absolutely perfect and consistent. He also did not tell me that my Schirmer test measured 4mm, which indicates very low tear production. When I asked him about this, he replied that dry eye is very rarely a chronic condition in males. Well, six weeks after surgery, I now have very disruptive dry eye.

My preop wavefront analysis indicated that I had almost no HOA whatsoever. The GASH that I now experience was induced by the surgery. I am getting two more scans this week, one on the VISX CustomVue system and one on the LadarWave system. I'm scared to see how much HOA I now have. I will also be getting a second opinion from a prominent surgeon who, hopefully, will be able to tell me if I have a decentered ablation. My post-op topography maps show flat areas of my cornea (blue colors) skewed superiorly. I asked my surgeon about this and he downplayed it and said that topography maps are of little value after the LASIK procedure -- that they are primarily used to assist with the surgery itself. This is from a highly recommended surgeon, fellowship trained, member of FACS, thousands of LASIK procedures under his belt, who has had LASIK himself and has performed it on his own family members.

Closed Thread