It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Lasik and Toothache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 AM   #1
    betts4
    (female)

betts4 HB User
    Lasik and Toothache

Well, the surgery is set for Monday, today is friday and I have had a toothache for two days. I am on pencillin for it now, went to the dentist yesterday and don't know how it may affect my surgery. If at all. I need to have the tooth pulled or a root canal done. I am ready for the tooth to be pulled. No desire for the root canal. I am worried this may affect the surgery. Anyway run into this one before? any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User
    Re: Lasik and Toothache

You should give your Lasik doc a call. But, I would have the tooth taken care of first before the Lasik as anything that jars your body for I think the first month post-op is a no no. I regularly go to a Chiropractor and after my surgery, I told him that I had Lasik and he made sure to cater my adjustment to protect my eyes. He couldn't use the drop table or the little thing he uses on my neck sometimes that snaps it because those two things move the body at break neck speeds (not literally of course) and could do something to my retinas or something. But, when I went back to see him the next month, it was safe to incorporate both treatment methods again. He had Lasik about 5 years before mine so, he knew what he was talking about.

The next thing I want to tell you is that a root canal is no walk in the park because it is time consuming and expensive. I just had one 2 weeks ago and spent a total of 5 and a half hours in the chair total over the span of two visits. But, contrary to old root canal practices, it is mostly painless. If you have a great doc who is gentle and shoots your up with tons of novicane, and is prepared to give you more novicane if you feel you need it as the procedure moves on, than it is really only bad in your own mind. Trust me! I hate going to the dentist. And, other than the time that it required, I really can say that, for a person who hates the very thought of the dentist, it was so easy! That being said, I would rather never have to have one again. Despite the fact that it was pretty much painless, it took alot of time out of my day and I still have to go back to have the permanent crown put in on Monday. So, really, pain is not the issue with a root canal anymore. Time is what will get you! And money!

Anyway, I know that this is not the forum for root canals but, I felt I needed to ease your nerves when you mentioned that you were weary of it!

But, get the tooth fixed first and then get the Lasik. Unless your Lasik doc says it is a non-issue. But, I don't think it will be a non-issue. Plus, I am sure that tooth is infected and, I think it is probably important that you are healthy when you have the Lasik Surgery done. When you are healthy, you heal faster and that is what is most important after the Lasik surgery. Also, if you were going to have an infection somewhere on or in your body when you have Lasik, I would think you would rather have the infection as far from your head and eyes as possible!

Ok! Sorry for such a long message but, I hope it helped you!

Take care and keep in touch!

Closed Thread