It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• LASIK Surgeon in Raleigh, NC

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
    kdennings
    (female)

kdennings HB User
    LASIK Surgeon in Raleigh, NC

Can anyone recommend a good LASIK surgeon in Raleigh, North Carolina?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
    Re: LASIK Surgeon in Raleigh, NC

Duke University Medical Center has one of the world's top eye hospitals. I am sure you can find a good LASIK surgeon there.

Last edited by purple2067; 11-10-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:21 AM   #3
    kdennings
    (female)

kdennings HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbrdbr111
    kdennings, If you've come across a good one, please re-post and let me know.. I am in the Wendell area and am considering Lasik...
    I went to lots of free seminars by the local eye surgeons (I highly recommend this). My decision on a surgeon came down to a gut feeling. I am going to get LASIK done by Dean Dornic (The Laser Eye Center) in Cary in January. He is very friendly, answers all your questions, gave both the evening seminar and did my evaluation. They are also close to my home.

I went to a seminar by Duke. I appreciated the fact that the surgeon actually gave the talk but my decision to not go to Duke was the drive. There are lots of post-surgery appointments and I didn't want to drive to Durham for them. This was also after the whole scandel of Duke washing surgery utensils in hydrolic fluid or some such craziness.

My neighbor, who is a nurse, looked at getting LASIK and recommended TLC. My regular eye doctor also recommended them. I was not able to meet the surgeon the day of my evaluation which as I mentioned was important to me. However, the difference with TLC is that all of your post-surgery appointments are with your regular eye doctor not the surgeon. This is why your regular eye doctor will often recommend you for LASIK via TLC because they will be getting a kick-back from your surgery. If I were really attached to my regular eye doctor this might have been a good option, but I am not. The other thing I didn't like about their facility was that you had the flap made with a laser in one room and they moved you to another room with another laser to fix your vision.

I visited the Kelly Eye Center. Again I couldn't meet the surgeon during my evaluation and they were a little too pushy for my taste. I think you had to pay a $100 just to be evaluated by the surgeon.

I went to Lowry also. I appreciated the fact that the surgeon did the seminar, but didn't get a warm feeling from him. We got a tour of their facility which was nice. They also didn't accept my insurance so that was a major factor.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Keep in touch via this site.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
    _QueenMerry_
    (female)

_QueenMerry_ HB User

I went to LasikPlus in Raleigh on 1/5/07 for my surgery. Dr. Lori Ann Travers did my surgery.

They offer several types of laser eye surgery, and recommend one based on your particular vision issues. I had standard Lasik with a Bausch and Lomb laser.

It's been almost 2 weeks and I'm seeing better than I ever did with contacts and glasses with minimal eye dryness. I'm a happy camper.

The only downside to LasikPlus is it's kind of like a factory. The wait times for the initial appointment and followups can be a bit of a pain because they're seeing so many people for surgery, pre-surgery and followups, but the staff members are all friendly and Dr. Travers is fantastic.

I'd recommend them.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
    debra22
    (female)

debra22 HB User

I was turned down as not a good candidate by Hiten P. Prajapati, at TLC Laser Center, for having to thin of corneas and too high of a prescription. He recommenced implanted contact lenses--which I have now had 2 other eye doctors say I am not a good candidate for because my pupils are too large.

I had gotten a second opinion about laser eye surgery from Dr. Dean Dornic at Vision Authority, who said I am a candidate for laser eye surgery ( it would be tricky but he could do it) and he would be using the equipment at TLC to do it (including the Custom Lasik).

I liked that I was able to actually meet the doctor at Vision Authority rather than the technician. But I am concerned with the previous posting mentioning litigation with him. Does anyone else have an another opinion about Dr. Dornic.

Closed Thread