It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Halos And Shadows I Think Please Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
    dion3333
    (male)

dion3333 HB User
    Halos And Shadows I Think Please Help

I'm post 2 weeks and I see Halos and what appears to be shadows...Letters and numbers behind one another...I had intralase custom and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I heard that the simptoms should have already subsided...I'm freaking out...and am scared that this maybe permenant...is it correctable...If anyone can help me with any information thanks
    Dion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
    nanana1
    (male)

nanana1 HB User
    Re: Halos And Shadows I Think Please Help

This is quite common.....should gradually go off. Please be patient and give your eyes 2 months to recover & stabilize themselves.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
    dion3333
    (male)

dion3333 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nanana1 View Post
    This is quite common.....should gradually go off. Please be patient and give your eyes 2 months to recover & stabilize themselves.
    Is there anyway I can help with the healing process???

Old 04-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

Everyone heals at different speeds. It took me a year and a half to see a turn in my healing. I had Lasik not intralase so, I can't be sure that the healing is similar. But, 2 weeks is very soon. A couple things that are supposed to help the healing are a daily vitamin, Flax Seed Oil (capsules or the actual oil either taken directly or put on something like a salad) and drink lots or water. Also, make sure you are well lubricated. Your eyes need tons of moisture to stay healthy. They need even more (I think) to heal. So, make sure you have a non-preserved/preservative free eye drop. I use Optics Minidrops Eye Therapy. If you do a search on them you can find out what the box looks like that they come in (it is blue) and where you can find them in your area. Of all the drops that I tried (and I am 2 years and 4 months post-op) these were the best. Now, given how long post-op I am, please don't get discouraged or think your recovery will be as long. I am just one of those people who takes a long time to heal. And, my issue is dry eye that is really only an annoyance first thing in the AM. However, I have issues during the summer too when the A.C. is running. But, that being said, my vision is great.

So, my suggestion is to try to stay patient. Regardless of how quick and simple the procedure is, this is a surgery and a major one given how small the surface being operated on is. So, it can take some time to heal.

Take care and keep in touch!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
    danger37
    (male)

danger37 HB User

I just had the Intralase procedure done this past thursday. I've gone outside the last 2 nights and have been looking at oncoming cars + the street light. I was quite horrified by the halos. As poor as my vision was prior to the procedure I never had that issue. So it is quite scary for me. I read these older posts and feel a little bit more at ease that this will dissipate in the healing process. I'm happy to say though, that I had 20/20 vision the day after the procedure. I would be interested to hear more of others (veterans) experiences and time associated with it healing.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #6
    tia2
    (female)

tia2 HB User

I was told by my doc to get Muro 128 ? (OTC) drops for the halos. That it would help speed things along and diminish the night vision issues quicker.

I haven't done it yet. The one thing he said is that the drops stings initially.
    I was going to find out what these drops are before I buy them though.

Last edited by tia2; 06-04-2007 at 05:36 AM.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
    danger37
    (male)

danger37 HB User

Thanks so much for that information. I will have to do some research on that Muro stuff also. I actually saw my regular eye doctor today. She noted that she had the procedure done a few years ago, and it took her 3 weeks before the halos went away. So I guess I have to work on some patience. I had her give me a second opinion about wrinkles found in my left eye the day after the procedure. Long story short it appears I have bigger issues now - as I'm noticing some deterioation of vision in that eye. Fun! Fun! Thanks so kindly for the feedback, and all the best to you.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
    dammie
    (female)

dammie HB User

A friend and I got it done on the same day. She was almost perfect the next day and i was not. I was having the same issues, but i was told that it would get better and that everyone is different. I got it done last summer in July and it wasn't until maybe October that i was a perfect 20/20. My issue was that i was seeing halos and one of my eyes was weak and still blurry, but it took time (months in fact).

Old 06-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
    danger37
    (male)

danger37 HB User

I keep bopping around the internet and all signs point to the fact that the halo thing is a time thing. Its good to hear that from others also. This wrinkle thing has me definitley a bit anxious right now. I go back for my 1 week follow up on friday, so I'm unsure if I should push the issue to have them lift the flap up or not. Something I just didn't want to have to think about after having my eyes drilled by a laser less than a week a ago.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #10
    hspohr
    (male)

hspohr HB User

You should let your doc make that call. The wrinkle thing is somewhat common and depending on severity, can be treated with meds that extract the moisture underneath the flap without having to lift it.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

wow. you sound SO much like i did post op!

i had lasik (custom intralase) done in december of 2006, and at my next day appointment, i had 20/20 vision and was SO HAPPY!!! by the end of that day though, my vision had gotten way blurry and stayed that way for the next several weeks. i was FREAKING OUT!!! i read and researched everything i could find about lasik and side effects and by the end of the first week, i was absolutely convinced that the flap in my left eye was messed up and that i was going to end up blind!!!

over the next couple of months following my surgery, my right eye healed quickly and was 20/20 by my two week appointment. my left eye though, stayed blurry. i found myself closing my left eye all the time because the fuzzy vision drove me crazy -- DON'T DO THAT! after a couple of weeks, my left eye muscles got all screwed up and i started having these awful eye twitches from it!

anyway, during the second month, my eye doctor told me that my right eye was a little dry, but my left eye was very, VERY dry and that was most likely the main cause of my blurry vision. he told me to use artificial tears at least four times a day if not more. i started doing that, and after a week, started noticing an improvement in my left eye. it cleared up to 20/20 by the third month, and at my 6 month check up, i am happy to report that my vision was 20/12.5 in both eyes!

the best thing to speed up healing is to do all the seemingly pointless and stupid things your doctor told you to do (mine said to wear goggles for a month, and to use artificial tears even when my eyes didn't FEEL dry, and to apply warm compresses at the end of the day...). so, use whatever drops the doctor tells you to use, use artificial tears (preservative free), and be sure give your eyes plenty of rest!

i found that during the first few months, when i stayed on the computer too long, or worked to long writing, or reading, or sewing, especially if i stayed up late doing it, my vision suffered for it the next day!

i had always been under the impression that you'd see 20/20 the next day and stay that way, but i'm learning more and more that it doesn't happen that way!

anyway, hope this helps ease your anxieties. what you're going through sounds very normal, but as with everything health related, if you're worried about it, insist that your doctor check you out! good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
    dsquared63
    (female)

dsquared63 HB User

OMG Mcr285 - your experience is mine exactly! At this time I am one month one week post-op and am losing my mind with one eye 20/20 and the other worse than 20/40! My one month check up revealed that my left eye had worsened to the point that the big letters in the chart were blurry! ARGH!! All in all the doctor tells me I am healing really well. The astigmatism that came out of nowhere is healing and the striations (wrinkles) are diminishing - also in my left eye! Were we separated at birth?!?! I even asked my doctor if I should wear an eye patch. I hate to wish my life away - but I want to get to my six months already and see, I hope, I hope! Thanks for your experience and I will continue to tell myself patience is golden.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #13
    danger37
    (male)

danger37 HB User

Thanks hspohr and mcr285. I really need these Docs to make the call. But when I was in the office last week, they explained it all to me and than asked me what I thought. I trully didn't know what to think, due to the shock that I was 20/20 that day in both eyes but still there was an issue. I will inquire about the alternatives. They noted the wrinkles were not in the line of sight. But depending on how much my pupil dialates - I could suffer from Halos down the road.

Unfortunately both eyes are experiencing the Halos at night so I have no way to determine if the left eye is having issues due to the wrinkle, uggh!!!. So, like everyone else I am only 6 day post op, and not letting the process work itself out. This forum is helping me though, sought through this stuff so I don't totally wig out. Thanks again for giving me insight, and teaching me patience.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #14
    2 Sharp Rob
    (male)

2 Sharp Rob HB User

My wife had halos for about a month. So when I got mine done about 3 weeks ago I was expecting to have them, and I do, mostly at night. But tonight on the way home I could tell it's getting better. I even had a shifted flap that had a wrinkle in it, but because they fixed it the next day It's good now. Hope it's good with you too.

Rob

Old 06-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #15
    danger37
    (male)

danger37 HB User

I had gone to my 1 week appointment and the doctor said the wrinkle was smoother, and because of no issues with it impeding my vision they wanted to leave well enough alone. I am now a day above 2 weeks post op, and have noticed some improvement in the halo situation. So patience is my friend now. My vision at this point is amazing and have not 1 regret, even if things don't pan out with my night vision. To see without glassess or contacts is a beautiful thing.

Closed Thread