It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• 12 days post-op custom lasik

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
    dan-girls
    (female)

dan-girls HB User
    Talking 12 days post-op custom lasik

Hi I just had custom lasik 12 days ago My prescription was 9.50 and 10 I think I was a little disappointed. I didn't realize that the first 6 or 7 days my vision would be so unstable. I need to hear more stories from people who had custom lasik with my prescription range. Plus I like to hear about recovery stories at 3 weeks 6 weeks etc. thanks

Last edited by dan-girls; 05-06-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
    dsquared63
    (female)

dsquared63 HB User
    Smile Re: 12 days post-op custom lasik

Dear dan-girls: I am going on 3 weeks and 1day Custom-Lasik w/Wavefront. My vision was -8.5 both eyes, basically legally blind. My first day check up was 20/20 left eye 20/40 right eye. It has been amazing but at the same time frustrating. At my one week visit, the same situation - I got a pair of glasses to help me get through work, I'm ok outside of work (maybe I should retire!). The glasses helped a tiny bit, just made me dizzy and more frustrated. Using the artificial tears clears me up so much, but it is fleeting. It is very disorienting to see so well with one eye and not so well with the other; like I lost a lens or the lens is dirty. Everyone keeps telling me to be patient - doc included - that it can take up to 3-9 months for healing! I may go crazy by then - actually thinking of getting just one lens for that eye to make it thru the day. Got my one month apptmnt on the 30 - cannot wait til then. Good luck to you also!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
    dan-girls
    (female)

dan-girls HB User
    Re: 12 days post-op custom lasik

Hi thanks for the feedback. I have my one month follow-up on May 23rd.. Do you see batter in the morning, then it fades a little. How many times a day do you use drops? I did not have dry eyes before, But I am putting drops in my eyes a least 10 times a day. I can read ok and drive. But I disappointed in my distance vision. I cannot tell street names or signs until I am on top of them!!!! Are you doing thru the same thing?

Old 05-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
    dsquared63
    (female)

dsquared63 HB User

Hi again, well I start the day with a ton of drops. My eyes feel like my lids are stuck to them in the am. I have been using Refresh Tears and Refresh Dry Eye Therapy. I may have had dry eyes previously, but was never bothered by it like I am now. I am constantly putting drops in, it feels really good and I can see really well for a short time afterwards. I have trouble with both near and far items, but only with the bad eye. So I sometimes find myself covering the bad eye just to make it thru when I am really tired. Yeah, I am little afraid of driving in places I don't recognize and the night vision is full of halos, but again only in the 20/40 eye. I don't have the patience to wait for this recovery - it doesn't feel like it's getting better, but at least I don't feel that it is getting worse.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
    goba
    (female)

goba HB User

Hi ladies, I am sorry to hear about your recovery, but you are both very early in your healing. I know how hard it is because I had Lasik 16 months ago, and had alot of problems to start. I would actually say that the past two to three months have been much better. You need to read the posts by Hating Glasses. She really helped me by reading her posts. There are things to do to help, including supplements and lots of water. It may sound wierd, but I take a vitamin called Bio-tears that I really like. I hope that things improve for you, and it takes a lot of patience. I never thought that I would go through what I did for months, but it has gotten better!! Good luck

Old 05-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

Hello Goba,
    Good to see you again and I am glad to hear the past couple months have gotten better for you. I am glad to hear that I was helpful for you! I hope you keep in touch!

dsquared and dan-girls,
    I know the two words "Be Patient" are probably your two least favorites words in the world right now but, you really are very early on in your recoveries. You will fluctuate alot for a bit and, you will notice it more as the day wears on because your eyes are working extra hard to heal right now so they get tired pretty easy.

I have an eye drop recommendation for you. I am about 2 years and nearly 5 months post op and suffer from first thing in the morning eye dryness. I don't know if I will ever not have this problem and, while it is a bit daunting to think I might have to use drops every morning for the rest of my life, my results are worth the minor annoyance in the AM so, I will deal with it! Anyway, in nearly 2 and a half years, you can imagine that I have tried lots of different drops. I can't promise that the drops that work for me will be as great for you but, I can recommend them! The are called Optics Laboratory MiniDrops Eye Therapy and if you do a search on them as I have typed it you can see what the box looks like and perhaps find out where you can find them in your area. They are preservative free/non-preserved which is very important as the preservatives in some drops can and will irritate your already sensitive eyes. And, whatever drops you use must say that they are preservative free or non-preserved on the packaging. I can't remember if the drops Refresh ones are but, I do remember that those drops made me worse for some reason. It could just have been me. Who knows? Anyway, I really like the MiniDrops because they have been great for me for what seems like a very long time now.

So, one thing I want to say is that I hope that the fact that I am still suffering from dry eye does not discourage you. Most people end up healing around the 18 month mark if not sooner. I am just one of those in the world that didn't get lucky as far as the no dry eye issue. It happens and I don't regret my surgery for one minute.

Take heart! Your fluctuations and dryness issues are nothing out of the ordinary!

Keep in touch and take care!

Old 05-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
    dsquared63
    (female)

dsquared63 HB User

Hi Hating Glasses, I see you are a Sr. Veteran out here. You have the patience of a saint. Thank you so much for your response. But it is not the dry eyes that is making me crazy, but the fact that one eye is totally 20/20 and the other is 20/40 or worse. The doc consoles me by saying that my prescription was very high -8.5 each eye and that requires a ton of healing. I guess seeing that darn "Extreme Makeover" show and all of those people going straight from surgery to seeing a clear eye chart was completely misleading. I should know better my husband is in the entertainment industry and he says a lot of credit goes to the Editors of these shows - when there is probably a month or more between surgery and the eye chart that gets clipped out and "bam" miracles occur in minutes before your eyes. It is very frustrating and I find myself closing or covering the bad eye to help me thru my day. Today has been bad again, headaches, starbursts, blurriness, in just one eye! I was so excited yesterday was a great day, ARGH!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

dsquared,
    I always wondered about how people walked out of the surgery with clear vision because, what with the drops to dialate (sp) my pupils, the sensitivity to light as a result of the drops and then the trauma of the actual surgery (it is a surgery so, it is traumatic to our eyes), I basically squinted behind my fashionable free sunglasses the doctors provided for me, got into the car and kept my eyes shut the entire way home while the hubby was driving. Then, I plopped down in a comfy chair and snoozed for about an hour or 2. Once I woke up, I could see pretty clear but, my vision fluctuated for several months afterwards.

I watched the episode of Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey when she had her surgery and, I couldn't believe that she could go out to eat straight from the surgery. But, I think she was just looking for attention. Heheheh!

Anyway, it is kind of cool to learn the behind the scenes stuff!

As far as the 20/20 vs 20/40, I think my eyes were 20/40 and 20/60 before my surgery and then 20/15 and 20/20 after so, while it is daunting right now...you should eventually adjust to the difference if it doesn't correct itself. Your 20/40 might get better and get to 20/20 still but, even if it stays at 20/40, eventually your mind will catch up with the difference. Right now it is about having to retrain your brain to understand and get used to the difference. When my eyes were 20/40 and 20/60 before my surgery, I was just blurry. My biggest issue was my astigmatism. But, I couldn't tell that my prescriptions were different in each eye. Our bodies are highly adaptable. It just takes some getting used to. But, in the future, if your 20/40 eye doesn't improve, you may be able to get an enhancement on that eye. You will have to consult your doctor about it because only he or she can tell you if the conditions of your eye are favorable for an enhancement.

Just (here it comes...) try to be patient! I know it is difficult and, you are probably tired of those two words strung together. I am sorry to be one more person to say it to you! But, it is all you can do besides getting enough sleep as you heal your best when your eyes are at rest, drinking plenty of water and perhaps incorporating a multiple vitamin if you aren't already taking one. Also, Flax Seed Oil capsules or the oil itself are good as a supplement. They do amazing things for your body and I have read over and over again that they are good for healing Lasik eyes. If you do a search on Flax Seed Oil you will see the humongous (sp) list of benefits to your body that it provides. I believe that there is not a cell in your body that it doesn't help.

As far as having the patience of a saint...I think I am just so grateful for not having to clean glasses 4 times a day and being able to see the clock across the room and the computer screen without glasses...which, BTW, when I was wearing glasses I would still have to squint to see the computer screen with them on. I can't even remember how long it took me to get used to the fact that I don't have to squint. I think I squinted out of habit for 6-8 months post-op. Anyway, this board helped me alot and I like to be here to help others through it now!

Take care and keep in touch!

Old 05-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
    dsquared63
    (female)

dsquared63 HB User

Hi hating glasses - thanks for your thoughtful reply. I am feeling really good today, no headache even at this hour 3:00 p.m. On days like today, my patience is "golden". I was really afraid going in, it actually took me almost three years to work up the nerve to do it. I got a chunk of cash and I was going to spend it on windows, but my husband convinced me to do something for myself for once. My only regret was not having done it sooner, but I did have to wait for the technology to catch up to my -8.5 prescription. After my surgery, I was given lots of drugs to help me sleep it off. I also kept my eyes closed the whole way home, then I was told to sleep for about 5 hours! I woke up, watched Heroes, then past out again til morning. I had to wear these hard plastic like patches that were taped to my face, that was fun - NOT! I was told I could finally wear make-up: mascara, eye liner after a month! That's next week-yippee! I have looked pretty tired at work lately. So really don't believe anything you see on those "Extreme" shows! Wow, it is a really good day today, I can actually see as I type! Have a great day and hope to hear from you soon.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

dsquared,
    Congrats on your good day yesterday! Hold on to the memory of it for the days when you have a bad one because, it will likely happen! Sorry! Just remember that it can and will get better. And, eventually, you will have more good days than bad ones!

I think I was only restricted from wearing makeup for a week. It was bad for me because I really do look like I am at death's door without makeup. Fortunately I could do my eyebrows. I have a nice little hereditary disease which thins my eyebrows out more and more each year until someday (pretty soon from now) I won't even have one single hair on my brows. Anyway, I have light blond hair so, the few hairs on my brow I have left are pretty near to invisible without brow powder. I was glad that they didn't tell me I had to completely go nude with my face because, I might have had to take a vacation for a week or, just wear a hat to the office. Not a big deal since the bosses do (small office with just me and my two bosses). But, I didn't have to do that. I am not overly vain. I can go out first thing in the AM on weekends and get some coffee without having to put any makeup on. Just toss on a hat and go. But, I am still self-conscious about my brows. Or lack there of.

Anyway, I am glad to hear that you had a good day yesterday and I hope that your day is as good, if not better, today!

Take care and keep in touch!

Closed Thread