It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• My Positive Laser Eye Surgery Story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
    airline
    (female)

airline HB User
    My Positive Laser Eye Surgery Story

This is a great forum, but I found I had to stop reading it at one point, as I was talking myself out of getting the surgery done.

I wanted to give a little back though, and share my experience with anyone who's thinking about the procedure.

I live in Australia, the company is called Laser Vision - they have branches overseas also.

My surgeon was Dr Peter Beckinsale. He's very experienced and on their website you can check out all the surgeons' credentials and resume.

My prescription was -10 in my right eye and -8 in the left. I've worn glasses since I was 8 (25 years ) Due to prescription so high, I wore glasses constantly from the moment I woke up till when I went to sleep. I've worn a variety of contacts over the years, but suffered from dry eyes for the last 7 years or so.

My surgeon advised the -8 eye posed no problem and would be 'life changing' but the -10 posed more problems. Definately doable but more risky. He performs about 1-2 ops a month on -10 eyes.

Any future adjustments are free for rest of my life with Laser Vision.

My pupils were quite large, but did not require drops to constrict them (one option for large pupils). My corneas were slightly thicker that average....well something had to go in my favour!!

My nature is to worry about worrying in life...but for some reason I did not stress at all in the weeks leading up to this procedure, or even on the day.

I was prepped, and given 2 'stress' balls to squeeze. My whole body remained taught throughout the op....my lower jaw ached later from clenching. The procedure was explained by surgeon as he did it. ie. We are using intralase to cut the flap, now we are lifting it, the laser is starting for 40 seconds, 20 seconds to go, 5 seconds, I'm smoothing the flap back down, it was very successful.

I sat up and could read the clock on the wall. I was given eye shields that I wear for first 3 nights, and massive big dark glasses for glare and sun due to light sensitivity. (you're not supposed to squint, rub eyes etc)

I was given a valium, which I don't think worked, but I wasn't freaking out anyway, then a tomazipan (spelling slightly wrong) to help me sleep at home. I slept for a few hours, woke up starving, ate, had some drops another sleeping tablet then slept till morning.

First day after op, I spent the day listening to my alarm on my mobile going off advising me of when my next set of drops were due. I had my check up appointment early in morning and was told I was 20/20 in what had been my -10 eye and one better than 20/20 in my -8 eye. (can't remember which way that goes..is that 20/40??) Surgeon very happy with results less than 24 hours after op.

I've had 4 lots of drops to take, the longest break I get is 45 minutes inbetween. The 4th drops are just saline, which you can use as often as you like, but 15 minutes after the anti-inflammatories or antibiotics, so as not to dilute them.

Today is day 2 after op, and I've had no pain, no real desire to rub eyes (and I'm a big eye rubber!) I'm delighted with results, have had no floaters, starbursts, or anything else I was worried about having read about them. Haven't tested night vision yet, but so far so good.

Good luck to one and all who choose this life changing path.

The Following User Says Thank You to airline For This Useful Post:
    stewartlittle (10-25-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
    kram12085
    (male)

kram12085 HB User
    Re: My Positive Laser Eye Surgery Story

Hi airline,

I'm especially interested in your experience because you have a high degree of myopia like me (-7.5). I haven't heard many experiences of people with high myopia and LASIK. I was wondering if you can give us an update on how your vision has been recently. Also, how is your night vision? Do you get halos? Thanks!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
    airline
    (female)

airline HB User

Hi,
    yes haven't checked out forum for a while but all good with my eyes still. If I'm really tired they get a bit dry, but overall they're less dry than when I used to wear contact lenses.

I've had all my checkups and my vision is still 20/20. I've had no halos, floaters anything at all. I'm so used to it now that I don't think it's wierd to see my reflection without glasses now, and I never go to adjust my glasses or take them off which I did a few times post op.

I understand some people will have had terrible,irreversable problems, but that doesn't mean everyone does. Skylar and myself are testiment to that.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

me too!!! i've had great success with lasik! i'm absolutely thrilled with the results and it's been almost a year and a half. i haven't had any problems whatsoever and i would recommend lasik to anyone!

HOWEVER..... i would definitely recommend that before you get lasik you do your research and make sure that:

1.) you are a good candidate - and get more than one doctor's opinion

2.) you don't have any underlying diseases that might affect your outcome

3.) you get a good reputable doctor!!!!!

4.) you know what you are getting into..... like it can take a good SIX MONTHS before your eyes heal and during that time your vision might not be perfect..... or like if you don't use your artificial tears properly, it can take even LONGER for your eyes to heal and your vision to clear.... things like that

it's nice to read a good positive thread here. i don't come on this board that often anymore (mostly because i'm always repeating myself to newcomers...), but i had to respond to this thread.... congrats on your new eyes!!!

Closed Thread