It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• New and having lasik on 12/27

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
    esk3kids
    (female)

esk3kids HB User
    Question New and having lasik on 12/27

Hello everyone. I am new to the board. I am having my wavefront lasik with intralase next week. I am pretty nervous. I have -5.75 in my right eye and -5.50 in my left eye with astigmatism in both eyes. I have worn glasses/contacts since 3rd grade and I am now 43.

The one thing that has me worried is not rubbing my eyes for 1 month after. How did everyone do that? It seems like it would be very hard. If water gets in your eyes in the shower (even if they are closed) how do you handle it? And after washing your face? And what about if you get an eyelash or piece of fuzz in your eye? What do you do then?

I am going to Dr. Gary Kawesch at the Laser Eye Center of Silicon Valley in Pleasanton, CA. Has anyone been there?

I also watched a video of someone getting it done by him. It doesn't look too bad. How do you stare at the light? Is it a long time?

I am glad I found this board. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Allyson

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
    nanana1
    (male)

nanana1 HB User
    Re: New and having lasik on 12/27

Not rubbing your eyes sound worse than it actually is. I have not rub my eyes for close to a year now. For a start, if you are not sure, wear your eyes shield when you sleep. Once you get into the habit, it stays. The first 2 weeks are absolutely crticial for not rubbing your eyes.

Once you get past the 6 month period, it is recommended but not critical.
    Because of the way the cut is made, rub from top to bottom is preferred rather than sideways.

To this day, I still treat my eyes with utmost care !

Old 12-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
    esk3kids
    (female)

esk3kids HB User

Thank you for the information. I guess it just takes being aware of what you are doing. I am somewhat absentminded and I guess I need to stop being.

I have been reading lots of horror stories about lasik. It seems like these are from 5-10 years ago. I should stop this. I am scaring myself. I am still going to have it done. I will just need lots and lots of valium.

Is staring at the light hard? How long is it? I have asked my doctor all these questions, but I wanted to hear from some people who are not in the same office as my doctor. At least no one in the office staff wears glasses.

Thanks and I will keep you updated on my experience. I am glad I found this board.

Allyson

Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
    nanana1
    (male)

nanana1 HB User

Staring at the light spot is not long nor hard but if you are so conscious about it, it may give you pressure and have the opposite effect. It's like someone telling you not to blink your eyes and suddenlyand naturally, you want to blink your eyes so hard.

Best thing is to relax and let the doctor and equipment to do their jobs and give you the best result. You are having a wavefront lasik and should have good results due to their higher precision.

Remember to have a good sleep (with eye shield) immediately after your lasik - important.

All the best and awaiting your report of your satisfaction after lasik here.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Allyson, the worst part of the procedure was the apprehension. I was so freaked about having anything near my eyes I thought I would move or something. However, it was so easy. I never felt like I was threatened and had to look away. Staring at the red dot was easy because it was so fast. Each eye took less than 5 minutes. I did have to wear the eye shield the first night. I didn't feel like I needed to rub my eyes. I used the chemical free tears to keep the eyes lubricated. I had my surgery at the Julius Stein Eye Institute at UCLA. Good luck. You will LOVE the brightness of colors.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
    arlotone
    (male)

arlotone HB User

Hi Allyson,

I had custom wavefront Lasik six days ago, so yesterday was my last day of medicated drops.

I think you're going to be fine. The procedure is weird, but it's not long or difficult or painful. My doctor talked me through it while his staff moved like clockwork around him, so it was easy to relax and trust them.

Like you, I was really nervous, but as I checked in the morning of the surgery, another patient was checking in for his one-day post-op. The receptionist asked how he was feeling and he said, "Great!" At that point I just relaxed and started looking forward to it, something I've been wanting to do for years.

In my experience, I was a bit dazed after the surgery, and couldn't see well at all -- this is normal. My eyes started getting sore during a long ride home. But when I got home, I took the recommended nap, and when I woke up three hours later, I felt fine -- and I could see!

One bit of advice I have is to keep reading and learning about the procedure. Don't put too much weight on the horror stories, but know the temporary and permanent side effects, and read the doctor's consent forms in advance if you can. I think I went in with realistic expectations, and even though I don't feel perfect now (dry eyes, bruising on eyes), I know that this is temporary and I'm very satisfied with the result.

Best wishes,
    -Arlo

Old 12-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
    arlotone
    (male)

arlotone HB User

P.S. To answer your question about rubbing your eyes, this is actually kind of hard for me. In the shower after I wash my face, I've been very lightly rubbing the water away before opening my eyes. I don't know if that's correct, so I recommend asking your doctor about it before the surgery! Fortunately I haven't had to deal with an eyelash or dust in my eyes since the surgery; you should be able to ask about that, too. I know that a couple times I have rubbed my eyes in a sleepy/tired way before I realized what I was doing. I guess my approach has been "careful but not paranoid" and I haven't had any problems.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

merry christmas!

i always used to rub my eyes before surgery, but after surgery, it's such a conscious thing not to.... it's just in your head that, "hey, i just spent a few thousand dollars to get my eyes fixed, i'm not going to screw it up!" don't worry about it!

as far as the procedure, yeah, the worst part is the anticipation. it isn't painful at all. there is pressure on your eye.... kind of feels like the pressure you get when you hang upside down (try it...), but that's really the only thing you feel. and the staring at the light thing is just funny. for me, the light kept bouncing around and at one point it even disappeared.... but that was a year and ten days ago. my vision was about the same as yours, we're close in age, and my vision today is 20/12.5 in both eyes!

good luck!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

I had my lasik procedure on 12/21. Like most everyone who has responded I worried about the same things...how do I not rub my eyes, the anticipation of the surgery, etc. And like everyone has mentioned, the anticipation is the worst part. I got to the office at 10:30 and was on my way home at 12:30. From the time I entered the OR, the whole procedure took 10-15 minutes. I had CustomVue Lasik. I couldn't believe how quick it was. When I sat up I could see that things were clearer but it was like I was looking through a thick fog. The numbing drops started wearing off on my way home, my eyes were VERY watery, and I had an annoying throbbing around my eyes. I took some advil and layed in bed from 1-4, got up, no pain, and perfect vision. At my post-op the next day my vision went from 20/200 to 20/20. Best thing I've ever done. My only regret is that I waited so long.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by BostonGirl44; 12-26-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #10
    esk3kids
    (female)

esk3kids HB User
    Thumbs up Re: New and having lasik on 12/27

Hi again, everyone. I had my surgery yesterday morning. It was very scary, but I survived. I had a stuffed Clifford toy that my daughter carried with her when she had some procedures done and I squeezed the heck out of him. I found it to be a little bit disconcerting and disorienting. It was over quickly, though. I had a lot of pain after it was over. I took some advil and then 1 hour after the surgery took the pain drops in my eyes. I put on the eye shields and went to bed for 2 hours. When I woke up, I could see. No more pain. It was amazing. I am still amazed. I went to my post op appointment today and I have 20/20 vision in both eyes. I am using the artificial tears every hour or so and the antibiotics until Tuesday. Now, I think it was so great. The weird thing is that it seems like my eyes don't get a rest. When I was wearing glasses and contacts and would take them out, then my eyes would "rest". Now, there is nothing to take out. It is weird. I guess that will take some getting used to.

I have not rubbed my eyes and am very conscious of it. I really don't want to ruin anything. I am excited and would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I am glad I did it.

Allyson

Last edited by esk3kids; 12-28-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: need to add smiley

Old 12-29-2007, 08:23 AM   #11
    nanana1
    (male)

nanana1 HB User

Very happy to hear the great results from you. The next 2 weeks are the most critical period of recovery. Do the routine vigilantly, ie. applying the antibiotics, eye-wetting drops, staying away from crowded places, wearing eye shield when sleeping even a nap,
    etc.

I'll never compromise my eyes for anything now that I 've got them corrected.
    In fact, I feel that my eyes are now really resting with lots of oxygen flow and no lenses or glasses to strain them.

Stay happy and eye healthy !

Old 12-31-2007, 06:58 AM   #12
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

So glad to hear everything went well with your lasik!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

congrats! glad things are going well!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
    yellow10
    (female)

yellow10 HB User

hi, i've just started reading some of the posts off this board and it's calming any worries I have about the procedure I go in on Monday 1/7 to have my wavefront lasik! I"m excited to be able to see without glasses afterwards!!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
    nanana1
    (male)

nanana1 HB User

All the best to you(yellow10) for your wavefront lasik !
    Do let us know how it went for you later.

Closed Thread