It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• four days out - still blurry!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
    tguy
    (male)

tguy HB User
    four days out - still blurry!!!

Help! I had surgery on Thursday Jan 10. I woke up on Friday with much better vision than I used to have, but still very blurry. My surgeon said the surgery went very well and CLAIMED I had 20/20 vision (this cannot be true as though I did read the line it was extremely blurry). Today (Jan 13) my vision is still very blurry, I cannot see nearly as well as I could with contacts or glasses. Is this common or is it likely that this is as good as it will get? I'm very afraid that my vision will not get better and I'll be stuck with vision worse than I used to have with contacts ;(. I'm very disappointed as it seems that most everyone I read about had perfect vision the day after surgery. Is it common for vision to get much better after 4 days out? Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
    Jake40
    (male)

Jake40 HB User
    Re: four days out - still blurry!!!

Yes, I can sympathize as the same thing happened to me. You are not going to improve much after 4 days.

Yes, most people (92%) get pefect vision after lasik. However 8% including you and I and literally hundreds of thousands of people don't get perfect vision.

You know what you can see now compared to what you saw pre surgery corrected and you know it is not as good. A lot of Lasik docs will tell people like us in the 8% that we are "doing great" and "to give it more time" and hope that you will convince yourself you are ok and just go away.

Still the fact remains that 8% don't get true plano (0.00) and true 20/20 and wind up with -0.50 or -0.75 and 20/25 or 20/30 or 20/40. Often they will tell you that you are "20/20, but not 20/20 happy" but that is just semantics and BSing you and they hope you will go away.

You will have to accept what you got and live glasses/contacts free with poor vision quality or go back to glassess/contacts (meaning this was all a huge waste of money, a huge waste of time, a huge risk for nothing, and huge raised hopes followed by crashing diasppointment) or you can wait 3-6 months and go for an "Enhancement".

Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
    goba
    (female)

goba HB User

Your vision will fluctuate for months. I know that some people say they could see perfect, but that is not usually the case. It also depends on how dry your eyes are. You are very early in the healing process. So don't panic, things will get better. Be sure to keep your eyes moist.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
    tguy
    (male)

tguy HB User

I'm just so confused. I saw my dr's statistics (she gave them to me) and every single person she'd corrected had 20/20 (and most better) vision except one person who needed an enhancement out of more than 200 surgeries last year. I can't believe I'd be the outlier (I'm only 28) and she claimed the surgery went so well. I'm leaving the country for a year in about a month so I don't think I'll be able to do an enhancement - on top of this the custom wavefront surgery cost $6000. I'm usually really upbeat, but I feel really upset about this.....

Last edited by tguy; 01-14-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
    Jake40
    (male)

Jake40 HB User

You doctor's stats are a lie. About 8% fail to attain 20/20 vision and in most cases it is not the doctor's fault or anything the doctor can control despite some of their grandeous claims. They measure your vision, plug the numbers into the Laskik machine's computer and the laser removes an amount of tissue that the AVERAGE person needs removed plus the AVERAGE person's typical healing response "regression" or tissue regrowth. It factors in an average amount of "regression" which is regrowth of tissue. If you are in the average 92% of the bell curve in healing response you will get 20/20 vision and you will be very happy. If you are far enough from average, your body's healing response will be different and you will replace more tissue and end up slightly myopic, e.g. -0.50 or -0.75 after surgery.

The doctor is either exaggerating her success or outright lying with the numbers. There is no way a doctor can measure an individual's healing response in advance and therefore unless all 200 of her patients were mirculously perfectly average, it is impossible for her to have gotten perfect results on all 200 patients or 199 of them. Reality is more likely that 12-18 of her 200 patients failed to get true 20/20 vision post surgery and this is neither her fault nor to her credit. She may have successfully convinced many of those 12-18 that they were "20/20" like she is trying to do with you.

Be wary of people getting your hopes up by telling you to wait for your eyes to improve. Yes the presence of dryness, halos, starbursts and glare will likely improve over the next 6 months. However, if you have a small amount of myopia at day 4 and it certainly sounds like you do, it will not improve and in fact is likely to regress slightly over the next couple of months one more quarter power. So if you are -0.50 at day 4 you will probably be -0.75 at 4 months.

You can do a simple test to see if it is just dry eyes causing blurriness. Put drops in your eyes and if you see perfectly then you don't have myopia and you have to wait till the dryness improved and you will be all set. If you put drops in and things are still slightly blurry, then your vision is not going to improve even when the dryness goes away.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
    tguy
    (male)

tguy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake40 View Post
    You can do a simple test to see if it is just dry eyes causing blurriness. Put drops in your eyes and if you see perfectly then you don't have myopia and you have to wait till the dryness improved and you will be all set. If you put drops in and things are still slightly blurry, then your vision is not going to improve even when the dryness goes away.
    Jake - thanks for all your help - greatly appreciated. When I put drops in my eyes (I put them in constantly the Systane drops), my vision is perfect for about 10 seconds and then reverts back to the fuzzy vision again. I already have the tear plugs in my eyes. I'm not sure if I can can see perfectly for 10 seconds because I'm seeing through the water and that does something to the lens or if it really is because of dry eyes, but again it only last for 10 seconds or so...

Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
    yellow10
    (female)

yellow10 HB User

are your eyes feeling dry when you don't put the drops in all the time? did you have mild to moderate dry eye before the surgery?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
    yellow10
    (female)

yellow10 HB User

also, as for the systane drops or the optive drops which i'm using, everytime I put the drop in- my eyes are actually blurry for quite some time, because it coats them, after about 5-10-15 minutes after the drops have absorbed, that is when i can really test my eyesight out. Have you tried this?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
    tguy
    (male)

tguy HB User

Thanks Yellow - my eyes feel somewhat dry, not too bothersome though, but I have been putting drops in like every 20 min to half hour. The Systane Drops sometime make it almost impossible for me to see for a while, but I see very clearly RIGHT after I put the drops in my eyes and again, only for about 30 seconds or so. After 10 min my vision is back to blurry....do you think there is still hope I can have great vision from this surgery?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
    yellow10
    (female)

yellow10 HB User

The eye doc gave me some systane as well a sample bottle after I had my lasik on Monday, i've mostly been using Optive, but have tried the systane and tried some this afternoon actually, it made my eyes blurry for a good 15 minutes I'd say-I couldn't really read on the computer after i used it, moreso then the optive...
    Well i'm wondering how the doc said you had 20/20 if you think you didn't? Was the whole line all blurry? did you have to blink when looking at it to get it in focus-if so you probably do have dry eye? When they checked my eyes the day after, one eye i could see fairly clearly on that line, the other one was pretty blurry and they said mine were 20/20 as well. I mean I can see fairly clearly so far (after the drops clear out of my eyes), but it comes and goes for sure, it's only been a week for me.
    Did they also take another picture of your corna's like they did before they did the wavefront? They are probably looking at that as well, as it will show them what your eye looks like now. I'd still give it a few more days, we are still very early on in the healing process by the sounds. I have the halos at night, and with sunglasses on when i look at lights, etc. I think it'll take at least a month just to stablize i'm guessing?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
    Jake40
    (male)

Jake40 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tguy View Post
    Thanks Yellow - my eyes feel somewhat dry, not too bothersome though, but I have been putting drops in like every 20 min to half hour. The Systane Drops sometime make it almost impossible for me to see for a while, but I see very clearly RIGHT after I put the drops in my eyes and again, only for about 30 seconds or so. After 10 min my vision is back to blurry....do you think there is still hope I can have great vision from this surgery?
    It sounds like your blurriness is caused by dry eyes and not myopia based on the fact your vision is briefly very good after putting in drops. This is good news.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
    tguy
    (male)

tguy HB User

Day 5: Today vision seems worse than yesterday, though it comes and goes. It is great RIGHT after I put the Systane drops in it, but then gets quite bad.

My doctor called me today after I left her a message and told me not to worry that vision will fluxuate for up to three months.....If this is just dry eyes I have no idea how I'll ever have perfect vision as my eyes have to basically be soaking wet to see well....

Sometimes I can barely see anything and other times it is slightly better, but again really only after the drops.

Yellow - I could read the 20/20 line the day after surgery BARELY, it was extremely blurry though.

Still trying to keep up hope....

Old 01-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
    akoito2008
    (female)

akoito2008 HB User

Jake, are you a doctor or something?cause you seem to know what you are talking about.Well, my story is a little different.I had mine on Jan 4, a day after, I saw perfectly,as in my vision was 20/15, and I believe this because I was actually able to read the letters under 20. I noticed though that my vision got blurry day by day, and when I went for my 1 week appointment, they told me I was 20/50..Even if I just had my eyedrops, I would never see perfectly like I did the first day. I asked the surgeon who did it, and they said it would take about a month for the visual acuity to be final but I am really so deppressed, I don't know if my vision will ever improve.Now, I feel that my vision just got a little better compared to pre-lasik, because I can see perfectly within 4 feet,but beyond that,is like how I was before the lasik.I feel so frustrated!
    Comments please!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
    tguy
    (male)

tguy HB User

Day 6: Today vision seems slightly better than yesterday - I dare say that I may have had a few moments of clarity (the sun is shining very brightly today in NYC). Still I'd say at my best moments I'm still about 20/30. Trying to drink a lot of carrot juice and take a lot of vit. C. My eyes also itched last night for some reason. I have my follow up on Friday...Feeling a bit more hopeful today...

Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
    yellow10
    (female)

yellow10 HB User

akoito: did they mention why your vision would go down like that? Maybe it's just temporary with the healing process? I guess i'm not understanding how ones' eyes can be 20/20 and then regress within a weeks time physically? If they change the shape of the corna? I understand with healing, things can probably change a little-but i wonder how it once again changes the shape of the eye-within a short amount of time?

Closed Thread