It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Day 3 questions and Follow up appointments

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
    tribbles999
    (female)

tribbles999 HB User
    Question Day 3 questions and Follow up appointments

I've had glasses for 34 years and I'm 45 years old. I'm nearsighted with a prescription in the high -6.75 to -7.00 range. I had plenty of extra flap room when tested for thickness. I had custom Wavefront, Interlace Lasik done on Friday May 16, 2008. I'm on day three of recovery. I had a follow up appointment the day after the surgery and my vision was clear enough I could have driven myself, but one eye wasn't as sharp as the other one and they were very irritated still. The doctor looked into my eyes and said their was some swelling but it would go away. He had me read from a chart and one eye was much easier to see with. He just kept telling me to keep blinking to get the tears moving.

The doctor said the eye that wasn't bugging me was dry and the one that I feel is the most uncomfortable was fine. I've been putting in Vigamox, and Omnipred drops they gave me three times a day and the artificial tears as frequently as every 10-20 minutes when awake.

My vision in my left eye is noticeably crisper than the right eye, which seems a bit blurry. I can see, but not as clearly as with my glasses. I was nearsighted and I didn't get Monovision. I have another follow up appointment in 3 weeks. Should I be seeing them sooner than 3 weeks? I understand my vision will fluctuate but I can't watch tv for more than maybe 2 hours before I have to rest my eyes. The computer screen really makes my eyes hurt.

My eyes feel great when sleeping or when the drops are in them, but otherwise the one eye just feels like I have a contact in it thats dirty and inside out. Yesterday I could see much better from my right eye than today.

When do I panic? Is it normal for one eye to heal slower and fluctuate more than the other one? I can't imagine waiting 3 months with on and off blurry vision in one eye before someone decides if it's under corrected. I have halos at night and I expected those to last for probably 6 weeks. Things I know will correct themselves over time don't bother me, it's the uncertainty. This definitely has its highs and lows.

What are normal expectations for recovery? Some people are saying if it's not stable in a week it won't fix itself and others are saying it took months. How long does the itchy, scratchy feeling take to go away? How did you cope in the in between time while you waited to see if your vision was going to get better? What level of vision would dictate getting an Enhancement later?

I'm so happy to possibly not wear glasses. It has really given me a boost in feeling good about myself, picking out a new haircut, makeup and clothes. Seems like my whole perspective has shifted to more perky just leaving glasses behind. I feel sexier and more confident without my glasses. My eyes are brilliant blue and now are the first thing people notice, when I can manage to take my sunshades off. I'm wearing my sunshades in bright light or when I encounter glare, since their still sensitive to changes in light.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
    brown1338
    (female)

brown1338 HB User
    Re: Day 3 questions and Follow up appointments

Hi Tribbles,

My husband had lasik 4 weeks ago today. I have done WAY more research on recovery than probably many people who have had the surgery themselves (all on his behalf). He saw the doctor one day 1 post lasik, again at one week out, and he is scheduled for his next appointment tomorrow.

He was told from the outset that during recovery one eye is going to be stronger than the other, which is the case still to this day. Left eye is seeing 20/13, right eye is at 20/25 or 20/30, depending on the day. Everything that I have read basically says that all patients heal differently and try to be patient; Generally, again based upon what I've read, you can expect the irritation (feeling that there is foreign body in the eye) to last roughly a week, and that your vision could fluctuate for the first 3 months. With custom wavefront lasik - that's what my husband had - it could be 6 months before you know your custom vision. His has been essentially the same for the last couple of weeks. He had halos in the left eye for about the first week or two, but they're gone now. He had pretty significant subconjuctival hemorrhages that are still present, but getting better. His right eye's redness is a little worse so we're hoping that maybe his vision will sharpen once the redness resolves.

He hasn't felt like he's needed the moisture drops too frequently but I know I have read that dryness can be a large contributing factor to blurriness and that because your nerves are healing you might not be aware that your eyes are indeed dry.

I have read that some clinics will provide you with low correction glasses if there is a large discrepancy between the eyes or if both still are very undercorrected. My husband was having issues with the difference of vision between eyes until fairly recently... I think his brain is finally adjusting somewhat to the changes. We're hoping that he won't need an enhancement. One day he'll say he wouldn't bother doing it because his vision is adequate, other days he says he might. We'll have to wait and see. Ultimately, I would hope your doctor would be available to you if you have any concerns. Hang in there!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
    tribbles999
    (female)

tribbles999 HB User
    Re: Day 3 questions and Follow up appointments

Thank you for the positive support. Today is day 5 and the right eye still bothers me far more than the left eye. I do have the suction cup bruising on both eyes still, but I know in time those will go away.

It's frustrating to see nearly perfect in one eye and have the other one seem like it's on its own agenda. I feel like I'm wearing a pair of glasses where one eye is the correct prescription and the other one is off by just a bit. It makes it much harder to compensate and focus on things. One minute some things seem reasonably normal at a distance then I shift my vision to something else and then I'm feeling out of whack again.

If I cover my left eye and read the computer screen it shows up wonderful, but when I cover the right everything is sorta blurry but I can still read it. I hope this isn't the way it will stay, because reading signs and some things is driving me buggy.

I have tried switching artificial tears to the gel version and if I only use one drop it does help with the dryness more so than the regular drops. The trick is one is thicker but if you use two drops it does make it very blurry for a minute or two.

What can anyone suggest to use to clean the eyelashes? Sometimes I feel like the drops leave a crusty or sticky feeling on my eyelashes but I can't physically see anything on my lashes. I've just been trying to wet a washcloth in warm water and dab the spots, but the top of my lids scares me to touch. I'm afraid I might disrupt something. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Anyone else at this point or past it where you felt one eye was clear and the other one slightly blurry? What was your experience? What point did you notice improvement?

Thanks so much for the help.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
    tribbles999
    (female)

tribbles999 HB User
    Smile Re: Day 3 questions and Follow up appointments

I'm now on day 8 and it's been an interesting 8 days. On day 5 my vision suddenly cleared up and I could see crystal clear on almost everything but street signs when driving. I still felt like something was in my right eye and I called LasikPlus and talked to the doctor. He said it was normal and I might have that feeling for a couple more days. He told me I was seeing 20/20 the day after the procedure but I hadn't been aware of that prior. He said if I was still feeling like my right eye was irritated after 7 days then to make an appointment and they would take a look.

On day 6 my left eye decided to get blurry and it made it hard to focus in stores and when driving. My right eye no longer felt like I had something in it all the time. I could still see but things would be a bit off and I was using tons of artificial tears.

On day 7 I had clear vision again but later in the day it began to shift again and I noticed my left eye was harder to read things out of. My right eye wasn't giving me any issues other than the normal dryness. I tempted fate and put on a bit of mascara. The doctors had said I could use makeup on day 7 if I was careful, and I was eager to see what I would look like without my glasses and with a bit of makeup. I didn't use anything more, and I used a brand new mascara, that wasn't water proof. Things were fine all day, but I do notice my eyes get tired easier.

I haven't worn contacts in over 15 years but the funny thing is I don't think about my glasses anymore but I do suddenly catch myself thinking I need to take out my contacts because their bugging me. Then I realize I can't and I close my eyes for a few minutes to relieve the strain and most times they stop hurting.

Today is day 8 and I'm seeing things clearly again, so I've come to the conclusion this is a work in progress and I'm going to have good days and days that frustrate me because my vision may have it's own agenda until I'm fully healed. I can't believe I don't have to wear my glasses anymore.

Now all I have to do is learn how to compensate for the things I can't see. When I had glasses I took them off to shave my underarms, and now I can't even focus enough to see my underarms. My vision for things that close is gone. I do it by touch now and I use a magnifying mirror to tweeze my eyebrows and such. Minor adjustments to get used to but I do have to concentrate a bit more.

I'm going to keep using the goggles to sleep in just to be safe for another week, even though I haven't tried to rub my eyes. I'm not going to use anymore makeup for another week, since I'm still afraid to rub my eyes at all. I bought the most gentle makeup remover pads I could find. Neutrogena makes a nice product that's gentle and I've treated myself to a new assortment of makeup to celebrate the debut of my eyes. They've been neglected behind my glasses all these years, and now it's time for them to shine.

Closed Thread