HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lasik Eye Surgery (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/lasik-eye-surgery/)
-   -   lasek eye surgery/astimagtism/dry eyes (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/lasik-eye-surgery/638331-lasek-eye-surgery-astimagtism-dry-eyes.html)

avisgt 09-30-2008 11:31 PM

lasek eye surgery/astimagtism/dry eyes

Hi,
I have chronic dry eyes symtoms and I am told the lasek will correct the problem..I also have astigmatism.

thanks

Avis

Randiscan 10-01-2008 06:35 AM

Re: lasek eye surgery/astimagtism/dry eyes

Hi,
I just had the lasix 3 days ago and to my knowledge if you have dry eyes then the surgery will only make it worse, not better! They do tests to see if you would be a good candidate for the surgery by testing your eyes for tears. They will tell you if your not a good candidate. Hope that helps!
Randi

ljohnson42 10-01-2008 10:01 PM

I have an astigmatism and was near sighted. I have had 2 surgeries and the astigmatism is still there but now I am far sighted! I can't see from my nose to two feet in front of me. Night driving is very scary. The headlights and street lights blur like halos and it is awful for driving. I have been like this for 9 months. I never had dry eyes but now they burn and itch most of the time. In the beginning it was so bad I could hardly stand it but now they put me on some very expensive drops for 6 months at $80.00 per month and they put plugs in my tear ducts at $100.00 per month to help the dryness. I would never have done this had I known what the results would be. Now they are saying that when they add the + farsighted to the - astigmatism - my eyes are only +.25 off and it does not sound like they will do another touchup. My optomitrist advises against it anyway saying I won't have enough tissue left and it will be a problem later in life. I can't believe I have gone through months of pain and blurryness not to mention thousands of dollars and am worse off than when I started!

Cack23 11-19-2008 06:00 PM

Hello,

I had Lasik surgery 4 years ago. I also had a horrible astimagtism before my surgery. I had an enhancement due to how heavy my astimagtism was. Although the correction was right, I have extremely bad dry eyes. I am 23 and started a job just a couple of months ago in a lab and now I'm having to quit due to the chemicals enhancing my dryness. I have been on a search to find something to relieve the dryness. I am confident that your dryness will continue to get a little better well after 9 months. ...I literally saw some improvement over a period of 2.5 years. One study that came out recently said your nerves don't fully grow back until 5 years after surgery with Lasik...Lasek could also be the same ...look for studies on nerve growth for lasek. I am looking for new improvement continuosly because the pain from the dryness is so bad. The only newest product I have found is a product by Eyegate pharma. It is called EGP-437 (a combination drug/device) which is coming out in early 2009. I am very sorry to hear about your surgery results and hope atleast combating the dryness can help you start somewhere...by the way if you want I can maybe help with little things that I have found that are on the market for dryness issues

Madsmom2008 11-22-2008 08:34 PM

I had a prob with dry eyes before my surgery which made wearing contacts a pain. After the surgery my eyes are so dry now, that I keep a bottle of Systane eye drops on my night stand and use them before I even think of getting out of bed in the morn. These drops are more viscus than normal drops and work wonders for me. Good luck!

Hicompression 11-25-2008 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=avisgt;3747149]Hi,
I have chronic dry eyes symtoms and I am told the lasek will correct the problem...

thanks

Avis[/QUOTE]

You're kidding right? :confused: Lasek will in no way correct dry eye. It can make it worse however.

JustMe2009 02-11-2009 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=avisgt;3747149]Hi,
I have chronic dry eyes symtoms and I am told the lasek will correct the problem..I also have astigmatism.

thanks

Avis[/QUOTE]

That's actually one of the CONTRAindications against lasik. It will be worse after. What doctor told you THAT? :confused:

JustMe2009 02-11-2009 10:03 PM

WHY would any doctor perform lasik KNOWING you had dry enough eyes before, that CONTACTS were uncomfortable?! oy! :dizzy:[QUOTE=Madsmom2008;3801984]I had a prob with dry eyes before my surgery which made wearing contacts a pain. After the surgery my eyes are so dry now, that I keep a bottle of Systane eye drops on my night stand and use them before I even think of getting out of bed in the morn. These drops are more viscus than normal drops and work wonders for me. Good luck![/QUOTE]