It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Can Those with Lasik Problems Still Function?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
    Grunt117
    (male)

Grunt117 HB User
    Can Those with Lasik Problems Still Function?

Greetings,

I really like these forums. They've been helpful in informing me about laser eye surgery.

I have decided to do Epi-Lasik on July 30th. I didn't want to do traditional lasik because of the risk of flap complications. The surgeon simply said I'm a good candidate for either one. But the way he described what he'd do it sounded more like PRK to me.

I am extremely worried that things could go wrong with this surgery, but I've decided to do it with the hope it will work. I've worn soft toric contact lenses for as long as I can remember, and they never really bothered me, save for the occasional dry eye and associated discomfort. I hate glasses but use them when necessary. The only reason I'm doing the surgery is for independence. Although contacts have always worked great for me, they leave me dependent on them. If I'm ever out somewhere and don't have contact solution, etc. . . big problem.

I don't know what my "20/xxx" vision is, only that doctors have told me I'm pretty much blind without glasses. (I have trouble with the "E" on the eye chart without contacts/glasses.) Astigmatism is my main problem. My right eye prescription is -1.25D, -1.75x100 cyl and my left eye prescription is -2.50D, -1.25x60 cyl.

For those of you who have had bad experiences with Lasik, PRK, etc, can you still function in life? What I mean is, can glasses or contacts correct that damage that Lasik/PRK caused, or are you left essentially helpless? Were you able to maintain the job you had before Lasik/PRK or were you forced to quit? I spend 90% of my life in front of a computer, book, or television. I don't know what I'd do if I lost the ability to enjoy these activities (I know I couldn't work!).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
    anyman
    (male)

anyman HB User
    Re: Can Those with Lasik Problems Still Function?

2 weeks post op I avoid night driving due to the god awful starbursts.

I note your use of toric lenses. I hope you have had them out for the several weeks or so most surgeons recommend. Could really screw you up if you did not.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
    Grunt117
    (male)

Grunt117 HB User

I've had my contacts out since Wednesday so by the day of surgery that will have been about 3 weeks. The surgeon said I could do it sooner but I opted to wait just in case.

When they cut the flap and did the laser, did you find it was hard to keep your eye from moving?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
    Kelzbelz
    (female)

Kelzbelz HB User

I had Lasik done and my only real issues are so halos and starbursts at night, not as bad as it sounds for Anyman though, and some blurriness with indoor lighting.

I did not have any issue keeping my eye steady - at least not that I know of! I just kept staring at the blinking light and the surgeon didn't say I had any issues.

For me the surgery itself was very fast and easy - it's dealing with the recovery time and getting used to the changes to my eyes that is the hardest.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
    anyman
    (male)

anyman HB User
    Keeping still was not an issue.....

Keeping silent if the starbursts don't get better might be. Maybe I'll camp out in front with a sign saying "Ask me how lasik ruined my night vision"!

Last edited by anyman; 07-17-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
    Grunt117
    (male)

Grunt117 HB User
    Re: Keeping still was not an issue.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anyman View Post
    Keeping silent if the starbursts don't get better might be. Maybe I'll camp out in front with a sign saying "Ask me how lasik ruined my night vision"!
    I'm worried about starbursts/halos as well given I have large pupils. (I don't know their exact size, but when I was dilated for my consulation the pupils took up almost the entire iris).

Is driving impossible with the starbursts? Can you still use the computer, watch TV, read, etc. with minimal difficulty?

Old 09-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
    seaduced
    (female)

seaduced HB User

As Anyman pointed out, you need to have your toric lenses out for several weeks but not just before the surgery as you stated you've done... you needed them out for several weeks before your evaluation too - those are the calculations they will use on the day of surgery. I hope all goes/went well.. let us know.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
    thinkfast
    (female)

thinkfast HB User
    Exclamation Re: Can Those with Lasik Problems Still Function?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grunt117 View Post
    Greetings,

I really like these forums. They've been helpful in informing me about laser eye surgery.

I have decided to do Epi-Lasik on July 30th. I didn't want to do traditional lasik because of the risk of flap complications. The surgeon simply said I'm a good candidate for either one. But the way he described what he'd do it sounded more like PRK to me.

I am extremely worried that things could go wrong with this surgery, but I've decided to do it with the hope it will work. I've worn soft toric contact lenses for as long as I can remember, and they never really bothered me, save for the occasional dry eye and associated discomfort. I hate glasses but use them when necessary. The only reason I'm doing the surgery is for independence. Although contacts have always worked great for me, they leave me dependent on them. If I'm ever out somewhere and don't have contact solution, etc. . . big problem.

I don't know what my "20/xxx" vision is, only that doctors have told me I'm pretty much blind without glasses. (I have trouble with the "E" on the eye chart without contacts/glasses.) Astigmatism is my main problem. My right eye prescription is -1.25D, -1.75x100 cyl and my left eye prescription is -2.50D, -1.25x60 cyl.

For those of you who have had bad experiences with Lasik, PRK, etc, can you still function in life? What I mean is, can glasses or contacts correct that damage that Lasik/PRK caused, or are you left essentially helpless? Were you able to maintain the job you had before Lasik/PRK or were you forced to quit? I spend 90% of my life in front of a computer, book, or television. I don't know what I'd do if I lost the ability to enjoy these activities (I know I couldn't work!).
    Hello,
    I had LASIK approximately six years ago. Immediately, post surgery, I had very minimal halos and starbursts at night. I did notice that bright lights and fluorescent lights bothered me for awhile. I had a lot of astigmatism prior to LASIK. I was assured by five separate opthalmologists that I was a good candidate for LASIK due to my pupil size, lack of problem with distance vision and astigmatism. I was told by each of them that I would achieve 20/20 vision. I warn anyone out there that 20/20 vision does not include driving vision at night.

My problem is somewhat atypical. I had good vision for three years post lasik. But suddenly, over six months, I noticed my night vision degrading. I began to experience a ton of halos, comets, etc. when driving. Now I have been told my astigmatism is actually WORSE than it was before LASIK. And I have now lost 50% of my distance vision correction. So I'm back in to wearing glasses and contacts full time. The problem is that my night vision is terrible. For awhile, I felt unsafe to drive at night. It's difficult to explain, but the taillights of cars from oncoming traffic on the highway all overlap with the taillights of cars directly ahead of me. So unless I stare or squint, I have terrible depth perception. Glasses no longer correct my vision at night very well. And contacts do only slightly better at correcting the new degradation in my vision. I have mildly dry eyes and use eye drops every day; but that does not fix my problem. I can see to function well during the day. The glare from LED lights is bothersome; but I can function. (I do graphic design and marketing, so vision is important). But my vision at night has been seriously impacted. So I warn anyone with astigmatism to think twice about LASIK. From what I have been reading lately, it causes more problems than it can fix. And, as in my case, the problems can insidiously surface many years post LASIK. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
    anyman
    (male)

anyman HB User

Here we are--2 years out and starbursts are as bad as ever.

Want Lasik advice?

DON'T DO IT!!!

Not worth the risk. Its a good thing for the "doctor" who night blinded me that I have family obligations which prevent me from extracting justifiable retribution.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
    MarioX2
    Inactive
    (male)

MarioX2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kelzbelz View Post
    I had Lasik done and my only real issues are so halos and starbursts at night, not as bad as it sounds for Anyman though, and some blurriness with indoor lighting.

I did not have any issue keeping my eye steady - at least not that I know of! I just kept staring at the blinking light and the surgeon didn't say I had any issues.

For me the surgery itself was very fast and easy - it's dealing with the recovery time and getting used to the changes to my eyes that is the hardest.
    So how can you be happy with that, you have halos and starburst at night, something you didn't have prior to surgery, you have blurry hazy indoor vision, something you didn't have prior surgery. So how is that ok? It's ok if it doesn't bother you, i guess everyone is different, but these sideffects can really bother some. I hate indoor blurrines, it feels like I need a glasses, I have to turn on strong lights now, before i didn't pay attention and nothing didn't bother me, well before my cornea was normal, now it ain't. Are there at all people with crisp vision after lasik in all lightning conditions?

Closed Thread