It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• PRK? Better vision with contacts than glasses, is that normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
    myogirl
    (female)

myogirl HB User
    PRK? Better vision with contacts than glasses, is that normal?

I have been wearing contacts for a long time and wondered if anyone else has the same problem. As I get older, my eyes seem to get drier and tolerate them less (Im 34 and female, on BC and also allergy meds so this may affect). Also, I seem to get 20/20 with my contacts but not so much with my glasses (esp at night), driving at night with my glasses it just feels like my prescription is not strong enough yet OK with contacts which have the same prescription. Does anyone else notice this or is it just me developing bad night vision (although it is fine with contacts). I am also considering PRK but am worried about night vision and the prolonged healing time with my prescription being higher around -4 and -5 in each eye. Don't know if I should mess with my corneas or just deal with the minor inconvenience of contacts/glasses and not see perfect all the time with my glasses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
    rockyciavattone
    (male)

rockyciavattone HB User
    Re: PRK? Better vision with contacts than glasses, is that normal?

My wife had LASIK. She had it done at New England Eye Center over at Tufts Medical Center. She can't stop raving about it, said she should have had it done sooner. She now see 20/10 the doc told her. 14 months after surgery even. Since then she's had 2 friends from work, 1 personal friend and 3 of our relatives all go into New England Eye Center and get their LASIK and they're all doing great. I hate every one of them, I can't get it LASIK done because my corneas are too thin apparently

Last edited by moderator2; 01-05-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
    myogirl
    (female)

myogirl HB User

Well, I'm glad your wife loved LASIK but I am not a fan of a flap being cut in my healthy cornea. Have you checked to see if you are a candidate for PRK, that's what they usually recommend for thin corneas? I've already ruled out LASIK due to the fact that it changes the structural integrity of your cornea so radically and the possibility of flap displacement is very real if you engage in contact sports or are around children that may poke you in the eye accidentally or something. I work in a field where this is a real possibility. My question was does anyone notice that their corrected vision is not as great with glasses as it is with contacts at night and basically looking for some advice on success rates with PRK. Any info or feedback appreciated!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
    ?vision?
    (male)

?vision? HB User

Glasses minify, contacts don't. The 20/20 line may be too small with glasses for moderate and high myopes.

Closed Thread