It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• My lasik tale ( long )

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #16
    blyth3
    (female)

blyth3 HB User
    Re: My lasik tale ( long )

oh ya, by the way how often you guys drip the eye lubricant drops? and what brand?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
    ShaderMan
    (male)

ShaderMan HB UserShaderMan HB User

I try and not go more than a few hours. Sometimes I'll do it a bit more frequently. I use the Refresh Plus that come in individual vials.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #18
    blyth3
    (female)

blyth3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaderMan View Post
    I try and not go more than a few hours. Sometimes I'll do it a bit more frequently. I use the Refresh Plus that come in individual vials.
    same here, im also using refesh plus, the brand is allergan...
    anyway, i already used 10 boxes already, sigh~ kinda expensive... gonna take it as future investment.. but now, i use celluvisc, it's thicker and gel type... it can last longer then the refresh plus..

Last edited by blyth3; 02-23-2011 at 04:34 AM.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
    ShaderMan
    (male)

So last week I had my checkup 6 weeks. They tested me at 20/20 in the left, and 20/25 in the right. The doc told me that the right eye still could get better, or it could get worse or stay the same. Also said that because I had such a high prescription before that the healing process is a bit longer for me, even up to a year.

He said that all this stuff is part of the healing and I just need to be patient. He also wrote me a glasses prescription of -0.5. I used them last night and it really did help driving. Its a subtle difference, but it really just made things quite a bit crisper at night.

He also said that they can do another surgery to fix those issues if they don't improve, or if the error increases.

All in all I'm feeling a lot better about things now, the only time the glows are really bothersome anymore is watching TV with shows that are dark or very contrasty.

I'm still hitting the drops pretty hard, although I did start to decrease it a bit, and the assistant at the doctor office told me to keep using that stuff a lot, and keep up with the omega 3 as well. I think my eyes were starting to dry a bit, even though it didn't feel that way. So I'm back to hourly drops all day.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Shaderman, hang in there! Your eyes are still healing. It took mine a good 3 months before I really started to feel like they were improving, and at least 6 before I really felt like I was seeing sharp and clear. Keep up the eye drops (I used the generic walmart and target brands and they worked great!) as often as you think about think about them, and give your eyes frequent breaks throughout the day. My LASIK was over 4 years ago. I am thrilled with my results now, but there was a time that I was in your shoes. It's scary, and it's really hard to do, but try to be patient and give your eyes more time. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #21
    blyth3
    (female)

blyth3 HB User

im waiting for my review on the 19th...

Last edited by blyth3; 03-07-2011 at 01:15 AM.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
    blyth3
    (female)

blyth3 HB User

yesterday i went to the eye center because my eyes were so itchy... i dont dare to rub it... after the doctor checked my eyes, he mention that my eyes were still very dry... zzz guess i gonna hit hard on the lubricants again..

Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #23
    ShaderMan
    (male)

First of all just want to say thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Second, its been awhile so I think an update is in order.

Things have been progressing, slowly, but progressing. I'm mostly adjusted to the difference between my left and right eyes now. Most of the time I don't even notice it unless I specifically look for it.

My night vision has gotten noticeably better over the past few weeks. In very low light I still notice the starburst, but even then they are not too bad, certainly something I could live with. But last night driving home from work, for most of the drive home I really didn't have any. I'd say its maybe slightly worse than it was before when I'd wear lenses, but pretty close to wearing glasses. I couldn't believe it.

I do wear glasses for driving at night now. I don't need to, but it does help keep things looking a bit sharper, and I feel a bit safer that way. That's the only time I wear them, which is not a big deal, and unlike before I still have my peripheral vision with them on.

Watching TV has also gotten quite a bit better too. There are still halos at times, but its pretty much only on extreme contrast. Same thing for really bright white or yellow objects against a dark background. But the halo is faint now, where it used to be quite bright.

The dryness is mostly gone now. In the morning is the only time I really notice it, or if I forget during the day and I go more than 3 or 4 hours. Once I put a few drops in, it instantly feels fine.

Hopefully things continue to improve, but even if they didn't I'm in pretty good shape even now, and it hasn't been 3 months yet ( that's still 3 weeks off ). At this point I'd say I'm no longer regretful, and in fact glad that I did it.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #24
    shady lady
    (female)

shady lady HB User

hey, hope your eyes have gotten better. mine finally did after 2 months.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #25
    ShaderMan
    (male)

Update on me.

Its been about 4 months now since the surgery. My vision still isn't perfect, but it's settled in now to where I can live my daily life without thinking about it most of the time. My right eye is still slightly undercorrected, but I've gotten used to that now.

My low light vision, while much improved since the first few months, is still not as good as I would like. The starbursting is pretty much gone now, but I still get some ghosting on whites over blacks. All in all its only in fairly low light that I notice. Watching TV sometimes its noticeable as well. However in normal indoor light, or out in the day I don't even give it a second thought.

Also as the light decreases, my crispness ( especially in the right eye ) goes from superb, to not great.

At my 3 month apt the doc told me he could go back and do another procedure to help sharpen my vision in low light, and make the right eye better, but he wanted to wait till at least 6 months, which I'm happy to do. I'm leaning toward having another procedure done, but I'm still not sure.

Overall I'm now pretty happy with lasik. I think it could have gone better, but it also could have gone a lot worse. The tradeoff of not having to wear glasses vs. some low light vision issues was worth it, but it sure would be nice to just not even have those. I'll update again after my 6 months.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #26
    shady lady
    (female)

shady lady HB User

glad to hear you are doing better. sorry you may have to have anenhancement. my eyes are prefectly fine now. it has been almost 4 months now. i have noticed that if i sit out inthe heat for long, my eyes do still get fried out, other than that , its good. ill keep you in my prayers in hopes the 2nd surgery goes well. take care.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #27
    rmark1104
    (male)

rmark1104 HB User

I am just a day shy of 2 weeks post-op and am experiencing similar symptoms.

A. SYMPTOMS

I was diagnosed with “Edema” in both eyes. I understand that this is a form of swelling/liquid build-up and below are some of the symptoms I am experiencing:

(1) Constant blurriness and haziness – Blurriness is especially prevalent during the morning and the feeling is as if I am wearing a dirty contact lens all the time. The blurriness never goes away, regardless of it being at day or night. I am experiencing haziness as well, especially when looking at lights and other objects emitting light. Admittedly, my vision is the best during daytime, when I am outdoors when it is sunny.

(2) Starbursts and halos at night – The starbursts and halos, though not severe, causes a lot of strain to my eyes especially when I try to focus on moving objects. I have tried watching a movie at a theatre and it was acceptable. However, the strain is very prevalent when I drive for over 10 minutes in a not very well-lit area (i.e. driving on windy highways). Therefore, I have limited my night-time driving to only short distances and in well-lit areas.

(3) Difficulties in focussing on close-up objects – I am finding that I have difficulties focusing on objects when they are up close, especially when I manoeuvre my eyes downwards without tilting my head down to accommodate. Again, there is a lot of strain. In other words, it is much easier just to look forward than downwards.

(4) Difficulties in adjusting between dark and well-lit environments – I am having difficulties adjusting to my surroundings when going in and out of different lighting environments, in particular, my eyes seem to regress back to its worse condition whenever I change environments and it will take some time before my vision improves. It can take up to 30 minutes before my vision improves.

(5) Dry eye after sleep – My eyes are really dry after a night’s sleep, this condition has been more prevalent for the past 3-5 days, especially after the use of Maxidex.

(6) Headaches – I am experiencing occasional headaches/migraines especially after experiencing severe strain in my eyes.

In light of the above, I must admit that I have been able to go to work, read documents, read computer screens / iphones / ipads, watch TV and drive (though not entirely competently) during daylight. I tend to forget about the haziness at work.

B. ACTIONS TAKEN

During the past 2 weeks, I have tried my very best to follow the prescribed post-Lasik recovery procedures. I have applied the eye-drops as required. I have been wearing the eye-shields to sleep and have also been wearing swimming goggles when taking a shower. I have not done any exercise since the surgery. I have tried my best to limit my eye’s exposure to any foreign elements. I wear protective eyewear especially during sunny periods. I am getting enough sleep and rest.

C. THOUGHTS & QUESTIONS

I understand that Edema will require time to dissipate and despite my family’s continued encouragements, I am getting increasingly frustrated and impatient with the lack of improvement (if any) with my eyes. I honestly do not feel that my eyes have improved since day 2 post-operation. I wake up every morning hoping for clear vision but I am disappointed soon after. I wish to not regret my decision of having Lasik done to my eyes, but I am having a difficult time coping at this juncture. I really only wish for some signs of improvement now so that I can tell my family to not worry about me.

I am due for a post-op checkup but will seek a second opinion tomorrow. In the meanwhile, if anyone can answer my questions below, I would be most grateful!

(1) the time required for my eyes to return to normal (should this even be possible);
    (2) whether my eyes have shown any improvements in respect of the Edema since my last visit;
    (3) the things I can do in the meanwhile to aid my recovery (i.e. taking any other medication or supplements etc);
    (4) whether there are any other eyeglasses I can wear in the meanwhile to decrease the blur and to aid my night-time activities such as driving;
    (5) whether there are any other possible treatments to expedite my recovery.

Best of luck to the OP and everyone else who are in our unlucky shoes.

Best regards,
    Ryan

Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #28
    ShaderMan
    (male)

I don't think there is a definitive timetable for healing, everyone heals differently. 3-6 months is the standard period for healing after lasik though.

I was told that omega-3 was very helpful for the healing process and tear generation. Also zinc is supposed to be good for the eyes as well.

Eyeglasses will help if you still have some nearsightedness. Although at 2 weeks your eyes will still change, and potentially a lot, so you could be getting glasses that only work for a short time. I got glasses at about 2 months post surgery, and they helped night driving a lot. It isn't perfect, but really cut down on the straining.

Also for the first month, I would get terrible headaches every day. The same feeling like when I would wear contacts for too long. They got better slowly, now I don't get them at all anymore.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do but be patient, which I know is impossible. Your eyes are very delicate, and they were cut open and blasted with a laser. It will take months to fully heal, but most likely eventually you will.

The Following User Says Thank You to ShaderMan For This Useful Post:
    rmark1104 (06-15-2011)
    Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #29
    bunnystar1
    (male)

bunnystar1 HB User

marisuela, I'm happy to hear that with times things should improve. I have the same problems as Shaderman. It's been about 1 month and at times I wonder if I made right decision. Everyone I met prior to my Lasik surgery raved about Lasik and didn't mention all these issues. I know a couple that had Lasik about 10 years ago and had zero problems. They both claimed they saw very clear at night (no halos, glare, star-bursts) which made me jealous.

ShaderMan, thanks for sharing your experiences. I have the same problems you have and am hoping after a few months it will go away.

Last edited by bunnystar1; 06-27-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Closed Thread