It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• I want to do Lasik. Advise needed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
    IHateGlasses
    (male)

IHateGlasses HB User
    I want to have Lasik. Advise needed

Hi Guys,

I recently got pre-lasik test.

Refractive error: -3.00 (both eyes) with -1.00 astigmatism in left eye.

Corneal thickness: 557 (Right eye) , 560 (Left eye)

The surgeon says I am a good candidate.

I am 24 years old and wearing glasses for 12 years now. I can't wear contacts.

Please, I need advise from those who have undergone the surgery.

Should I have it or I should stick with annoying glasses for the rest of life ? Is it too risky for me to have lasik ? If so then why its so popular across the world ?

Will my vision be good enough to see crystal clear after lasik. I really want to throw away my glasses. I hate glasses to core. I want freedom from glasses.

Are you guys facing any serious complication due to lasik who had same or near amount of refractive errors before lasik ?

I don't have any dry eye problem. What is the chance of getting serious dry eye problems after lasik ?

Can I rub my eyes after healing period ?

I hate the thought of anyone touching my eyes. Will I see the whole procedure during the surgery or I will just see only light and nothing else ?

What if I have urge so bad to blink during the operation ? Is there any chance of a patient screwing up the surgery or is it totally in the surgeon's hand to successfully do the surgery ?

Last edited by IHateGlasses; 03-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
    guy448
    (male)

guy448 HB User
    Re: I want to do Lasik. Advise needed

Don't do it. There is too much on luck in this surgery. No matter how good the surgeon is or laser your eyes can respond completely opposite.
    Try more contacts, until you find comfortable ones. Try more glasses and frames until you find the most comfortable one. Do not let all the marketing and you complexes of glasses get you, you really could end up much worse than glasses. Without a fix. Just accept who you are and what eyes you got. Be lucky after all, you can see, and you have mild prescription of -3. Some people have -10, some people can't even see.

I have undergone the surgery and I regret it. Don't give your precious eyes and cornea to be cut without need for it. Your cornea is healthy and normal now, why literally cut it? Just don't belive all that hype and marketing. Also don't belive too many people who says they are super happy. Questin them more, be sure how they see in dark. Some people are happy even if they lost some quality of vision. Just love your -3, try better contacts for going out or sports, and stick with glasses, after all glasses are even nice fashin accessorie.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
    Regret eyes
    (male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User

Glasses , pillow is dead on. All you need to do is google LASIK complications. I did not do one minute of research prior to this. I was left with dry eye, starbursts and halos. These complications happen in the daytime too. There is no cure!!! Like pillow says these surgeons don't have a clue when you get these complications. They just put numbers into the laser depending on your pre-test results. It's not like it's a new case by case surgery. I'm 16 months post surgery. My complications have not gone away nor have they diminished. I was -875 and nearsighted and that didn't take into affect my astigmatism. I have high order abberations where every light source throws off halos and starbursts and forms into circles. Use glasses even if your contact intolerant and you'll be happy. This stuff is a mess. Do more research!!!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
    ktez
    (female)

ktez HB User

Ihateglasses, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth here. As the others who responded have pointed out, there can be some serious side effects that may never go away. However, the majority of people do not have any issues. It is a gamble, and only you can decide if it is right for you. My experience was pretty good, I had -5.5 and -5.25 refractive error with about .25 astigmatism. I had it done a little over a week ago, and I can see clearly now without glasses for the first time since I was 7 years old. I have had some dryness, and I have a little blur in my left eye yet, I actually got more astigmatism in that eye from the surgery, but there's still a chance it can improve.
    The only thing I have noticed from reading a lot of people's stories is that correcting astigmatism seems to be the most iffy and cause more complications. You don't have that much, but it seems that is the hardest correction to predict. I went from .25 to .75 in my left eye, but at least my nearsightedness is gone. I personally have not had any issues with ghosting or halos, at least not any more than if I wore contacts at night.

The most important thing if you do decide to do it is do lots of research and ask your doctor lots of questions. If he tries to minimize all the risks and dismiss your concerns, then run like hell! In the end, only you can decide if it is worth it and right for you, just keep in mind that although the percentage of side effects is small, it doesn't help any if you are one that has them!

To answer your other question, they put something on your eyelids to keep you from blinking, you you don't have to worry about that. It sounds scary, but with the numbing drops they put in your eye, it really isn't uncomfortable at all and you can't tell they are touching your eye.

Good luck with your decision and do lots of research!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
    immg
    (female)

immg HB User

I think it isn't worth the risk. LASIK is an irreversible procedure, and even though many (myself included) have had minimal complications and discomfort, others have suffered because of it. If your glasses aren't really hampering your life, then stick with them.

EDIT: But yeah, in the end it's your decision. So I have to agree with everyone else... RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH! Take your time and choose wisely.

Last edited by immg; 03-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
    guy448
    (male)

guy448 HB User

Yes, it isn't worth of the risk. Because clinics and all market these new lasers as they are so good today, and custom methods, they especially market them on nightvision issues. Like it minimses the risk or even eliminates those aberrations. But it seems it's not, they still don't know why peple get nightvision loss. Your procedure may be perfect after on paper, but you can see bad. Wait if some new technology comes up, something reversible, something less invasive.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
    IHateGlasses
    (male)

IHateGlasses HB User

Thanks guys.

I have been considering this procedure since a while. You can't imagine how upset i get once i put glasses on my nose. I hate wearing glasses with a passion. My bad luck is I can't even wear contacts. I tried it several times (recently again) but every time I failed to put it on my eyes. I wear slightly under corrected glasses (-2.50) and am able to see very clear with it. I really don't want to wear glasses and I just can't wear contacts. Is there any other alternative apart from Lasik to even slightly improve my vision if Lasik is too dangerous ? I would be very very grateful if anyone of you give any suggestion. Btw, is there any chance that myopia will be reduced with age or any vision therapy like exercises will help? If I can manage to reduce even 1 diopter I would be pleased.

I am the only person among my family and relatives who is myopic.I sometime get so upset that I even cry secretly for my poor eyesight. Its so frustrating. God, please give me mental strength.

Last edited by IHateGlasses; 03-03-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
    guy448
    (male)

guy448 HB User

I was in the same situation as you, even knew some of this complications. But glasses went on my nerves, well depending on situation. Drivin bike or some sports or just outside acitvity i was irritated by them, for pc and tv watchin it was ok. And finally they hooked me on lasik, some people said they went, you know, many stories where yu hear how good it is. I haven't seen any negatives of that clinic on forums. Even asked about night issues, but they said it goes away, researched lasers a bit, i really thought in my mind they covered it all, optical zones etc. And at that moment I just wanted to see so I went for it. Probably would never do it still if I didn't kinda forced myself just to go there and think there about it.

There is no alternative. As I said, wait and see if something less invasive comes up. And especially reversible.
    And why dn't you wanna wear glasses, you've been wearing them for the long time right, did the lasik marketing get to you, you compare yourself to people with healthy eyes? Just don't, accept it, that's all. Get bigger frames for more vision if you are wearing some small ones and see t much of frames in your vision. Yu see how many people are even doing hipster thing these days, huge glasses, and they don't even have bad eyes. I am telling you stick with them, starst totally cnsidering them as fashion, get some thick framed ones, you look inteliggent in them. I know now after not having glasses, I feel I lost one part of myself, weird to see yourself without glasses. And If i find girls with glasses hot, then there are girls who find guys with glasses hot.

Don't give in to complexes, accept it. Glasses are the safest way, even contacts aren't safe if you aren't careful with cleaning them.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
    ktez
    (female)

ktez HB User

There are some other alternatives such as PRK, which does not involve making a flap, but any kind of eye surgery carries its own risks. Just keep 2 important things in mind -first, most of the people that come to a message board like this are here because they had some kind of problems. The ones that had absolutely no issues don't post here, so reading these boards can give you a very negative impression. Second, even with successful surgery, there are no guarantees that you will not need glasses again down the road. Besides looking here, ask around at work or your other social circles and see if you can find people that have had it done, and get their impressions. You will be surprised how many people have had it or know somebody who has - I met at least 5 people at work that had had Lasik and some that had family members who did. These real life stories, plus research on the internet and message boards like these, helped me to get a better perspective and make a decision.
    For me personally, I was one of those people who couldn't find their glasses without their glasses on. I had several episodes where I misplaced my glasses and had to ask a family member to find them for me. I also had to switch between regular glasses and prescription safety glasses at work constantly, which was a pain and gave me headaches. The bad stories of Lasik gone wrong did scare me, but I ultimately decided it was a risk I was willing to take, and I also felt that even if I still had to wear glasses later, a thinner pair that I could actually see to find would still be better. It has gone well for me so far and I do not regret it at all. I did months of research and called every Lasik clinic in the area and talked to them for awhile to get impressions of them, and finally decided on one. So do your research, and talk to as many people as you can and get their honest opinions, and talk to as many clinics as you can. You can even make appointments for free consultations at several of them and see where you feel the most comfortable and which seem the most competent. It is a big decision, but as long as you're well informed and know all the risks, you will make the right decision for you.

Last edited by ktez; 03-03-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling errors :-O

Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
    guy448
    (male)

guy448 HB User

Yea i don't buy that happy people don't post online, they post today on ******** pages of clinics. But also there are the ones who complain of problems. I think there are many peple with complications after lasik that don't go online to post their problems, they do their issues with clinics and going to other clinics for second opinions. And vision is so subjective that I've met person who is happy, praises procedure like it's a miracle, and so easily reccomends it to others. This has to be the most reccomended surgery in human history, people just reccomend it, go do it, like its go to nail salon. First thing I've noticed with this guy he talked to me in a bright light room, said let's go where is more llight, and ofcourse at night he doesnt see clear and crisp as before. And there you go, person is happy but he had to give part of his vision. I guess there are many people like him out there, doesn't bother them, or they don't need that part of vision. Maybe it's not severe as to some other peopel but loss of quality is loss of quality. And that shouldn't be, if lasik is meant to treat cornea in the middle right, why then isn't treating peripheral part of cornea when pupils gets bigger. Actually one surgeon told me there is something they don't measure in procedure, some light scattering. Even though my procedure on scans and paper is perfect, even though my pupils are not extra large, I am having problems. Is it something they can't measure? So it's not just about people complain with bad experience, there are also who do not, and those with lost wuality of vision who are happy. And there are probably perfect procedures, clear crisp vision even at night.

It is wrong to base decision on how many people report online. Many people are some ordinary folks who don't knw how to use google. But I see increase in ******** praises and complaints. It could be double edged sword fr lasik clinics, they now advertise thrugh ********, but people report issues and good resulst. But of curse, yu can not know if maybe admins of these groups can erase peoples' comments. Oh wait you can. I've asked questions on one lasik clinic on ********, abut problems etc, they erased my comment. Maybe I've said too many things which can potentialy scare of faebook custmers. I belive there is a 10 or even 20% complicatins with nightvision loss. As you can see we see new people on forusm who had surgery and complain.

I've always runed away from this procedure, i was thinking to myself screw that, my brain and I are used to this vision with 20 years of glasses. Why go and change it irreversible, not knowing the outcome. And of curse too much positive thinking and one leap of faith made me do it. People should stay pretty real and not go in clouds when doing this decision. Reality is nobody knows how it is if you get bad vision after, you think and see currently at consent form with good normal and stable vision. But you can now know how it is to see bad after procedure, and if you can take that. When it happens, then depression kicks in and regret. So really dangerous procedure, not safe at all. It impacts life significantly.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
    ktez
    (female)

ktez HB User

Don't forget also that the laser clinics are selling a product like any other businesses and they will use persuasive sales tactics and even gimmicks like sales to get your business. Don't fall for the marketing techniques - make your own decision!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
    ktez
    (female)

ktez HB User

did you have a bad Lasik experience?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-25-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
    IHateGlasses
    (male)

IHateGlasses HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktez View Post
    Don't forget also that the laser clinics are selling a product like any other businesses and they will use persuasive sales tactics and even gimmicks like sales to get your business. Don't fall for the marketing techniques - make your own decision!

Hmmm.. seems like Lasik is too risky to have it. I know every surgery has risk but if this surgery is too dangerous for eyes then no way I would do it.

I was told that Lasik is safe and complications are rare and temporary. Since I have mild to moderate refractive error chances of it being a great success is much more than people with high refractive error. I still don't know whether i should take the chance. May be I need more research on it.

Btw, if PRK is more safe than Lasik since it has no flap creation why Lasik is far more popular compared to PRK ? People actually go for PRK if they are not candidate for Lasik. Just because PRK has some post operative pain people go for a dangerous surgery Lasik doesn't make sense.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User

ktez is right. Most people on this board come here because they had bad experiences with LASIK, so keep that in mind. I had LASIK 3 years ago and I do NOT regret it even though my vision is not 100% perfect. The LASIK correctly me from -5.0 to -0.5 so my vision is very good but not perfect. If I want to see distance 100% sharp such as when driving, I put on a pair of very thin glasses. But most of the time around the office or at home, I do not use glasses. I really do not mind wearing glasses occasionally especially since they are such low power.

To your earlier question. Yes, I can rub my eyes and have never had any problems. The flap seems very stable.

Now, what the others have said about LASIK is true. It IS risky business. So if you want to have it done, find the BEST surgeon in your area. One who has done many hundreds if not thousands of patients. They will not be cheap but you do not want cheap when your eyes are on the line. Expect to pay several thousands of dollars at least.

Last edited by landar; 03-03-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
    ktez
    (female)

ktez HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateGlasses View Post
    Hmmm.. seems like Lasik is too risky to have it. I know every surgery has risk but if this surgery is too dangerous for eyes then no way I would do it.

I was told that Lasik is safe and complications are rare and temporary. Since I have mild to moderate refractive error chances of it being a great success is much more than people with high refractive error. I still don't know whether i should take the chance. May be I need more research on it.

Btw, if PRK is more safe than Lasik since it has no flap creation why Lasik is far more popular compared to PRK ? People actually go for PRK if they are not candidate for Lasik. Just because PRK has some post operative pain people go for a dangerous surgery Lasik doesn't make sense.
    To Ihateglasses: Lasik is more popular because it has a much shorter recovery time and most people don't want to have to take a week or 2 off work to recover. And despite what you hear here, it is for the most part safe. Remember that the 3% that have problems are posting here, and not the 97% that have no issues! My advice, and what I did, is to do your research throughly. I discovered from researching that most people that have night vision problems have larger pupils that the treatment zone of the laser. The lasik surgeons say that that is no longer an issue, but I didn't want to take any chances. I looked up the treatment zone of the specific laser they used there, and I made them measure my pupils in low light and tell me the numbers. I also made them measure my corneas and tell me the numbers for the thickness, and tell me the numbers for my astigmatism. They didn't think that these numbers would mean anything to me, but I did my own research to see if it was within the safe limits instead of taking their word for it. The laser they used had a 6.00MM treatment zone, and my pupils measured about 5.50MM, and I found out my corneas were extra thick, over 600 microns. I made them tell me all the numbers so I could make my own decision rather than taking their word for it, so I knew my pupils were smaller than the treatment zone, and my corneas were plenty thick. I think being an educated comsumer helps to make a good decision. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-25-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Closed Thread