It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Just had my lasik one month ago.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
    john4822
    (male)

john4822 HB User
    Just had my lasik one month ago.

Hi, I am new to this forum, I am writing because I did my lasik on april 19, it's been one month since my lasik. my both eyes are 20/20 now, some of the side effects I had since lasik are glare, halo, small starbursts at night. I noticed that I am also more light sensitive when I am outside, I have to wear sunglasses whenever I am outside. Another thing I have is when I am under dim lighted floursant light, I can't see very clear. I feel like it's missing details. I can see clearly when it's sunny day but it's definitely not what it used to be with glasses. When will the side effect go away? Another thing, I went to my eye doctor three days ago and he says that the reason why I have halo and glare is because of dry eyes, but my eyes does not feel dry. what is causing glare and halo in my eyes? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    It takes a long time for ur eye to "heal". I am still going through a bunch of sight distortions at 5 months out. 1 month is really early on. Despite what they tell you prior to surgery and all of your friends forgetting how the recovery period was, it takes a while. Some people are fine in a few weeks ~6 weeks as far as vision clarity, others take many more months to years. There is no way to know, you have to wait. Hard to do.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
    john4822
    (male)

john4822 HB User
    Re: Just had my lasik one month ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiskeythekid View Post
    It takes a long time for ur eye to "heal". I am still going through a bunch of sight distortions at 5 months out. 1 month is really early on. Despite what they tell you prior to surgery and all of your friends forgetting how the recovery period was, it takes a while. Some people are fine in a few weeks ~6 weeks as far as vision clarity, others take many more months to years. There is no way to know, you have to wait. Hard to do.
    sorry to hear that you still are going through 5 months of sight distortion, ya, my doctor told me that everyone heals differently. as far as my vision clarity is concerns, I can see 20/20 with both eyes, which is something I am happy about. But I didn't know about the side effects prior to surgery, my doctor told me that I won't get halo and glare, he even reassured me. If I knew it was going to be like this, I would have just stick to the glasses. It's just every morning I wake up, and I don't see my eyes getting better, I get kinda depressed. I mean doesn't it get better day by day? or it gets better all of a sudden?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

I think it gets better all of a sudden, could be a long time of no improvement. I agree with you, had i had better information upfront i would have stuck with contacts because i was happy with my vision with no risky side effects. I had lasik bc i thought it was pretty low risk, and i was worried about getting old and not being able to wear contacts. My mom has really bad dry eye naturally, if that were to happen to me then no more contacts. Glasses were really uncomfortable and lasik is for sure better than that for me.

Here is my timeline:
    Right eye: near vision was not good for 4-6 weeks. Has a few floaters and starbursts under some light. Overall sees crisp and clear.

Left eye: overall consistently bad for first 4 months. Now its starting to fluctuate. I break it down into near, mid, far vision, night vision, tv guide vision, and side vision. Never had haze but overall vision just wasnt clear or crisp. Glare caused a big problem in the first 3-4 months.
    - far vision: clear from the start, but road sign vision improved by about 4 months.
    - mid vision. I consider my computer to about 20 feet away as mid. Big objects are fine. Details are where it was difficult, smeary, blurry. Different types of details cleared up at different points in time. The tv guide / info screens on tv are still hard to read but have definitely improved. Computer clock and computer text improved at about that same 4 month mark. I think it is still in flux but on the upward swing to getting better.
    - near vision. Normal size print is mostly fine but reading on bottles and iphone was terrible. At 4 month point it started to fluctuate. Now it goes in and out. I think the eye is overcorected and has astigmatism. At 4 month point overcorrectiom seemed nearly gone, now i think it is coming and going. It is maddening becaue sometimes these near details are blurry and others they are sharp and crisp. This can change moment to moment or over periods of hours or days.
    - night vision. Same as right eye
    - tv guide. The text is hard to read but has improved.
    - side vision. I have a blur on the peripheral side of my vision that is now fluctuating from not too bad to horrible for no apparent reason. This is the most troubling bc doctor has no clue what it is. Deer in headlights - has no idea what to say or do bc it doesnt fit neatly into their business model. I now need to get a second opinion on my own dime and my own efforts.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
    john4822
    (male)

john4822 HB User

The reason why I did my lasik was because I failed the police officer medical exam, and they say that in order to pass, you have to pass the vision exam. so I went ahead and book the consultation and took the plunge with the Lasik. The first three weeks were the worst, I was so depressed that I felt into self anger and regrets. Now I feel somewhat better than before, I guess I have accepted it somehow, but then there are those bad days I feel regretful.

did you also have light sensitivity? and did it go away for you? are u still wearing sunglasses whenever you are outside? I feel like I must wear polorized sunglasses when outdoor, otherwise I will see few tiny floaters in my left eyes, the sunglasses not only does it block out the light sensitivity but it diminishes the floaters as well.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

Yes i felt that way as soon as i started having issues, at that point i had a better frame of reference to research problems online. Then i learned alot of things about the surgery that i hadnt known upfront which made me angry and felt cheated that i wasnt able to make an informed best decision.

The light sensitivity goes away. If it is really bad you should tell your doctor bc i think they can give u steroid drops to improve it but thats only in extreme cases. At 1 month point i was wearing my sunglasses that have yellow/orange/clear inter changeable lenses indoors and polarized outdoors. All car headlights looked like their brights were on. It subsides. Now its better but not quite as good as before lasik. I think that will completely go away in time.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
    john4822
    (male)

john4822 HB User

Based from my research online and I have spoken to other people in real life, they say that in general, after lasik, light sensitivity will be like this forever. For the halo and glare, if I were to give it based from a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, I will probably rate myself 4, its not terrribly bad to the point where I can't function at night. It's very annoying. The day before yesterday, I took my car for a test drive at night, I was driivng on a two way street, I just want to get a sense of feel of how my eyes see when an oncoming car is driving my direction. It was okay, I could see the cars and the people. I guess what I am trying to say is that I could drive in the car, just that I have to be more cautious now. BTW, I work as a delivery guy, that's my job. I have been unemployed for the past two months. =(

Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
    john4822
    (male)

john4822 HB User

I heard it from someone that you must wear sunglasses whenever you are outside after lasik, is this true?

Closed Thread

Tags
    glare, halo, lasik, side-effects