It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Flat Corneas/Large Pupils

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
    cupcake33
    (female)

cupcake33 HB User
    Flat Corneas/Large Pupils

Hi there!

I have seriously been considering LASIK for a few years now. I have had two different consultations in the past week and have some serious reservations mainly due to the combination of moderate-high myopia, "flat" corneas, and large pupil size. Here are my stats:

Prescription: -5.75 (currently wear contacts on a daily basis)
    Corneal Thickness: 575
    Corneal Curvature: 37k
    Pupil Size: 7.5mm

Both places say I'm a good candidate for LASIK. The first place only mentioned my flat corneas as a possible concern but said I am still a good candidate with the exception of not being able to have an enhancement in the future (if needed) because I would not have enough residual corneal tissue.

Second place said my stats are great and I'm a good candidate for custom LASIK. And even when I voiced my concern over my eye stats, they were VERY hesitant to say I was considered a high risk patient.

After A LOT of research and reading through forums, my eye test results seem to suggest that the combination would make me a high risk patient for long term side effects (especially night vision issues) even though my consults have said otherwise. I've really been wanting to have this procedure done, but not sure I should take the risk considering my screening results.

ANY related experience, thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Last edited by cupcake33; 04-07-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
    deerhuntingal
    (female)

deerhuntingal HB User
    Re: Flat Corneas/Large Pupils

You're being very proactive in making your decision and that is good! Most of the Dr's will ok you to go ahead with it but they do not tell you that all the little complications you may have could be permanent. Most say they will go away in time so just get all the facts if you can. Get a lasik surgeon that also does other eye procedures too if one is in your location. The lasik clinics are in it for the $$ so your best bet is a DR. not solely relying on lasik to make a living.
    Pupil size, my Dr. said it is not so much a factor these days and it has not been proven to be the source of all the night vision issues. He is one of the leading surgeons in the field so I think he may be right. Mine are 6.8 to 7.2mm and I have the night vision issues but everyone does at first. I'm 2 months post op and cannot make the decision if he is correct yet as it is to early for me.
    Not sure about the flat corneas. Just get a reputable DR and see what he says. You may have to live with issues so I'm not sure I would do it if any underlying factors come into play. I had no issues except I had astigmatism and -6.00 in one eye and -5.25 in the other. I now have slightly dry eyes and they are getting better, I have halos and star bursts at night still. Traffic lights are double from a distance, my left eye is -.075 and blurry. I see 20/20 with both eyes most of the time. I wear reading glasses now but I'm 47 so it was expected.
    Good luck in your decision and I hope all goes in your favor!

The Following User Says Thank You to deerhuntingal For This Useful Post:
    cupcake33 (05-02-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    curvature, lasik, pupil size