It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Query regarding 2 weeks post lasik vision

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-02-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
    Anu252
    (female)

Anu252 HB User
    Query regarding 2 weeks post lasik vision

Hello,

I recently had lasik (femtosecond) done - been 17 days to be precise. My pre lasik prescription was - 8.5 for both eyes and was corrected to 6/5.
    The problem I'm facing or rather the confusion I have is regarding the clarity of vision. My vision is still blurry at distance. I can see clearly upto say a metre or 1.5 metres beyond that it starts getting blurr. Sometimes I can read small roadside sigbs clearly but the wall click numbers don't appear clear however I can see the time.
    I have read that vision stabilisation and clarity takes 1.5-3 months, is it true? What should I be expecting in terms of vision?
    Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
    HenrietT
    (female)

HenrietT HB User
    Re: Query regarding 2 weeks post lasik vision

Hi Anu
    I had LASIK 12 days ago today and also started with a prescription of -8.5 in each eye. I have had one day with a very blurry left eye but yesterday they seemed more even. I am finding things clearer than with my varifocal lenses but because I can now see , I think I am being more critical about things being out of focus. I know everything is better than before (apart from near vision obviously) .
    I am trying to do eye exercises- hands of a clock and focusing on horizon when outside (instead of my usual feet) to strengthen the muscles and also do some palming every evening to relax them.
    Like you I don't know whether to expect sharper focus in the future or not but if this is as good as it gets - I will not be moaning

Last edited by mod85; 08-04-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
    KevinK2014
    (male)

KevinK2014 HB User

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. My LASIK surgery was a week ago. I'm 50 yrs old so they did monovision. My contacts were mono vision so I am used to that.

My near vision was quite good the very next day. I'm able to read the paper, my phone, or computer better than I could with contacts/glasses. But my distance vision is not good at all. Anything beyond arm's length lacks clarity. Not blurry, like with my astigmatism, but definitely not sharp. It's hard to make out the faces of people walking toward me down the hall. It's hard to read words on the television. It's almost like there is a transparent border around the edge of everything.

Driving is manageable, as it seems like my vision is better in natural light. But it is definitely not as good as with my contacts/glasses. Night driving is another story. I ran an errand last night after dark. Yikes! If I didn't know where I was going I would have been in trouble. My night vision was terrible. I'm sure I was not legal.

I'm told that this is fairly typical after only a week. I hope that is the case.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
    HenrietT
    (female)

HenrietT HB User

Hi Kevin
    Did you have both eyes done? One for near and one for distance?

I have felt a bit of "eye headache" on my left eye all day yesterday and less so today. I think my left eye was the lazy one and it in shock finding it can sort of see things allbeit blurry.

I made an extra check up for this Friday last weeke nd when they felt gritty for a day. I think I will keep the appointment . I have noticed today and yesterday number plates on teh car in front and over the road look definitely quite blurry and unreadable.

I had one very good day on both eyes on Sunday- wish they would settle for that

Last edited by HenrietT; 08-06-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
    KevinK2014
    (male)

KevinK2014 HB User

Henrietta, yes - both eyes. Left for near vision, right(dominant eye) for distance.

I, too had what I would consider eye fatigue in my left eye the first few days, but that has subsided. My eyes feel pretty good now, a week after the procedure. Just some mild dryness. It's just that I can't see very well beyond a few feet.

I have brief moments where it seems like my distance vision becomes clear, but they only seem to last for a second. The Dr. Said my vision would fluctuate for 3 months, but I thought that meant it would be overall good vision with moments of poor sight - not the other way around.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
    HenrietT
    (female)

HenrietT HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinK2014 View Post
    Henrietta, yes - both eyes. Left for near vision, right(dominant eye) for distance.

I, too had what I would consider eye fatigue in my left eye the first few days, but that has subsided. My eyes feel pretty good now, a week after the procedure. Just some mild dryness. It's just that I can't see very well beyond a few feet.

I have brief moments where it seems like my distance vision becomes clear, but they only seem to last for a second. The Dr. Said my vision would fluctuate for 3 months, but I thought that meant it would be overall good vision with moments of poor sight - not the other way around.
    Hi Kevin
    How are things going-any improvement?
    I had check up today and been given some different eye drops without preservative in them plus some gel to put in at bed time.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
    KevinK2014
    (male)

KevinK2014 HB User
    Smile Re: Query regarding 2 weeks post lasik vision

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HenriettaT View Post
    Hi Kevin
    How are things going-any improvement?
    I had check up today and been given some different eye drops without preservative in them plus some gel to put in at bed time.
    Hi Henrietta,

Not much change. Perhaps just a slight improvement - very slight. I spoke to the Dr's assistant a day ago. She sounded surprised that I was having difficulty with my distance vision. I learned from her that I was using the wrong eye drops - they were not preservative free. She explained that bottled artificial tears contain preservatives that can irritate the cornea. I had already stocked up on the preservative free drops and switched. She said to use that liberally over the next few days and report back.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your comments. I wish you well with your follow-up.

Last edited by KevinK2014; 08-08-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
    KevinK2014
    (male)

KevinK2014 HB User

Quick update...the past two days have been pretty good. I noticed yesterday morning as I drove to get coffee that my vision seemed normal. Later, I had a three hour drive to move my daughter into her college apartment. My vision was good during the drive. Later in the day, it regressed - but that could have been in part due to the physical exertion of moving.

Today was very similar. I had a three hour drive home in the morning, and my vision was good the entire way. It's evening now, and I think things are regressing a it again.

But no doubt, I feel better after having awoke the past two mornings to pretty good vision.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
    HenrietT
    (female)

HenrietT HB User

Hi Kevin
    That is really good news. I think I am finding my vision sharper in full sunlight and like you it worsens later in the day. Hope you have had another good day

Old 08-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
    KevinK2014
    (male)

KevinK2014 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HenriettaT View Post
    Hi Kevin
    That is really good news. I think I am finding my vision sharper in full sunlight and like you it worsens later in the day. Hope you have had another good day
    Seems I may have spoken too soon. At work, I have noticed no improvement in my vision. Same at home watching television - I have a very difficult time reading words on a TV just 8 feet away.

I may have gotten a "false positive" over the weekend when I was driving. That was outdoors, of course, and skies were partly cloudy to cloudy. So maybe it was just a case of daylight without any glare from the sun.

My next follow up is in two weeks. I'll see what they say at that time. I have no discomfort and I don't notice halos or starburst a. I just don't see well at all beyond a few feet.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
    HenrietT
    (female)

HenrietT HB User

Hi Kevin
    I am also finding my eyesight comes and goes. I had one day a few days ago in the sun shine when everything was totally amazing-just after I changed eye drops. Today it is a bit less clear and my left eye feels a bit smarting despite plenty of eye drops.
    Sometimes I can read the TV and sometimes I can't. My near vision is even more variable ranging from blind as a bat to being able to read the computer.
    Last night I noticed the sky had more stars in it which was fab. The smaller ones obviously got lost in the general blur before I had the LASIK done.
    Let me know how your check up goes. Mine is also in 2 weeks time

Last edited by HenrietT; 08-14-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
    KevinK2014
    (male)

KevinK2014 HB User

Update...I had my 1 month visit. This visit was with my normal optometrist - not the surgeon that did my procedure. I really struggled with the chart. I was almost seeing double on the chart. It was 10 feet away and in a dark room, which is a bad combination for me. Near vision was quite good.

Optometrist said I probably needed an enhancement, and if it were up to him he would have it done right away. But he first would consult with the surgeon. I heard back today after their conversation. The surgeon and optometrist confirmed my numbers and confirmed that was what the laser was programmed to produce.

In the end, the surgeon said to wait two more months (90 days total) to see if there is any improvement. In the meantime, they said to use eye drops aggressively (which I have been doing anyway). Optometrist said he would get me glasses to wear while I am driving at night.

I feel certain I will ultimately need the enhancement. There has been no noticeable improvement in the past 2-3 weeks. My vision is good for reading, and fair for daytime driving. Otherwise it is poor.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #13
    HenrietT
    (female)

HenrietT HB User

Hi Kevin
    Sorry to hear your vision has not improved much.
    I had my one month check up recently to, and may also need an enhancement-possibly just in the left eye.
    I am finding my near vision for reading is much worse in early mornings and then wakes up a bit.
    I think if a person with good eye sight could see through my eyes they would think I had poor vision but to me I am still quite pleased as it was so awful to start with and now better than with my glasses pre LASIK.
    If they can improve it further I will be delighted but a bit nervous about the enhancement. I think a 3 month wait for the enhancement seems pretty standard.There must be a reason for this so maybe your eyes could still improve.
    Has anyone had significant improvement in months 2 and 3 post LASIK?

Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 AM   #14
    Rosenfeldisaac
    (male)

Rosenfeldisaac HB User

Hi Kevin,

Can you please update us on your progress. I am 10 days post lasik and still with blurry vision. Your story kind of describes mine. Hope to hear from you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinK2014 View Post
    Update...I had my 1 month visit. This visit was with my normal optometrist - not the surgeon that did my procedure. I really struggled with the chart. I was almost seeing double on the chart. It was 10 feet away and in a dark room, which is a bad combination for me. Near vision was quite good.

Optometrist said I probably needed an enhancement, and if it were up to him he would have it done right away. But he first would consult with the surgeon. I heard back today after their conversation. The surgeon and optometrist confirmed my numbers and confirmed that was what the laser was programmed to produce.

In the end, the surgeon said to wait two more months (90 days total) to see if there is any improvement. In the meantime, they said to use eye drops aggressively (which I have been doing anyway). Optometrist said he would get me glasses to wear while I am driving at night.

I feel certain I will ultimately need the enhancement. There has been no noticeable improvement in the past 2-3 weeks. My vision is good for reading, and fair for daytime driving. Otherwise it is poor.
    G

Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #15
    MissyJane
    (female)

MissyJane HB User

Hi, Isaac. I had my lasik a little over a month ago. I went for a follow up around 10 days after and my distance vision was blurry. Besides some dryness, the doctor found that my prescription was currently under corrected. Like Kevin's story, the doctor said it is still possible for the vision to fluctuate some in the first few months. He said my vision may improve, but it might not. He gave me an rx for glasses in the meantime. I found a pair on Zenni optical for $15. I was originally -5.25 and -5.50. Now I am -1 and -1.5. I can see way better than I could before the surgery. I am mostly fine inside (except TV subtitles), but feel so much better in the glasses when outside. If my eyes aren't at 100% after 3 months, then the doc said he will do a "touch up" surgery which is much simpler and quicker than the original surgery. Of course, I'm not enthusiastic about another surgery, but I'm hopeful that I'll be seeing clearly by the fall!

Reply Reply