It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• PRK 1.5 years ago. Right eye now has astigmatism?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
    dorlow
    (male)

dorlow HB User
    PRK 1.5 years ago. Right eye now has astigmatism?

So, like the title says. Before I had PRK, I've had no history of astigmatism. Right after having PRK, I could tell my right eye was not progressing as fast as my left eye. Right after having PRK, my vision was terrible (as expected.) But my right eye was worse right off the bat from my left eye. As my eyes healed, I complained to the doc about my right eye still weaker. He said I have to give it time. Well, a year and a half later, I moved to a new state. I went to another eye doctor. My right eye has gotten more blurry. He diagnosed my right eye now as having astigmatism.

I do know I do have the option of possibly getting laser eye surgery and seeing if it can be corrected. But also, you should only get laser eye surgery once and maybe twice. I know if I get it done again, it is possible my eye could be worse than if I didn't. There's no way of knowing if it will help or hurt. Also, if it's getting worse, it won't stop getting worse from just getting the surgery. I just need to wait for it to get as bad as it will, then consider getting the procedure done again.

Until then, today I ordered glasses and contacts. Kinda sucks. But has anyone else ever had no history of astigmatism, but after Lasik or PRK, got astigmatism?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    Yes that happened to me also from lasik. One eye is fine the other has an induced astigmatism that fluctuates. Sometimes I can see clearly through the astigmatism and sometimes it makes fine details blurry. I have glasses for it. This result was not provided as a risk pre-surgery. The surgeons really focus on the positives and downplay or omit any negatives. I also have starbursting in dim lighting that is akin to if you would hear a hum in its annoyance - its distracting and annoying to have dirty vision.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
    dorlow
    (male)

dorlow HB User
    Re: PRK 1.5 years ago. Right eye now has astigmatism?

My surgeon had me read a lot of literature that listed a ton of side effects and possible outcomes. He did make it real clear that they shoot for 20/20 but only guarantee 20/40. He made me aware of the starburst at night. I get that and was expecting it. I'm not too worried about that. He also said though the starburst tends to go away after a few years.

I just don't remember him ever saying astigmatism is a common side effect. According to the eye doctor I saw yesterday, he says my eyes are healthy, and from what he sees, he believes my PRK doc did everything right and my body just rejected it and caused the astigmatism. (Which I hadn't really thought my PRK doc didn't know what he was doing anyways. I shopped around for him and in the area I was in, he was the highest reviewed Lasik doc in the area.)

Old 12-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

Your surgeon sounds pretty thorough in educating you and knowledgeable.

If you had known about the potential astigmatism would you have gone forward?

If I had been better informed then I would not. I almost did not go forward when they told me it would take 3 months to heal. Little did I know it could take years. I reasoned to myself that 3 months is worth the wait for a lifetime of more reliable vision.

Also, i appreciate your comment that starbursts can go away after a few years. That gives me some hope.

How bad is your astigmatism?
    Mine is -.75 which is probably kind of minor but it bothers me.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
    blantonwh
    (male)

blantonwh HB User

Hey whiskeythekid, I am currently experiencing what you went through with your .75 astigmatism. It drives me nuts knowing that I have this. I had it in my right eye before prk surgery but it was fixed and is now perfect. The left had no prior astig but now it does. I feel like it's close to the right's astig before surgery. I feel like about .75. So what have you been able to do about it? Did it get better or worse?

Thank you for any information as I am 35 days post op and have the feeling it will remain the same. It's hard for me to believe that it will just improve with time.

Last edited by blantonwh; 03-09-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

The effects to vision caused by the astigmatism have subsided in some ways but not in others. Its a mixed astigmatism so that is why.

Some good things:
    - distance details were blurry like the cable tv guide, now they are clear
    - eye chart test used to be a blurry 20/25, now its a clear 20/20

Some bad things:
    - It took somewhere between 1.5-3 years to get to this point.
    - My eyes have dry eye issues now. When they are very dry the vision is worse. I have glasses for when that happens and they do crisp up the vision.
    - my near vision at very close range can be blurry if the eye is dry or if it has been straining on distances for a while. I think this is due to the mixed astigmatism where one part is a little far sighted. The glasses help with it if I really need them.
    - i have starbursts around lights if my pupils get bigger. These are worse more scattered and disorganized in the astigmatism eye. Nothing helps with that.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
    blantonwh
    (male)

blantonwh HB User

thanks for the reply and it is helpful. I know I am really having a major dry eye issue with the left as it is really dry every morning and seems like it takes a hour to get it going. I definitely tell it when I hit the snooze on my cell phone as the right is perfect and the left can't read squat.

I talked to my dr. about the dryness but he claims it still early and to wait. Waiting is hard but I guess that's what we do when options are nil.

I can read the 20/20 line but it is blurry. I can make out some of the 20/15 but blurry. The right has crisp clear letters at the same lines. Both together I can see 20/20 5/5 and then 3/5 on 20/15.

I probably shouldn't complain much but it is bothersome just because I notice it so easily. I notice it more at work on the computer and reading documents. When I am out and about doing things not so much.

Oh well, life goes on and each new day brings another adventure into the world of vision correction and the results.

Thanks again for the information

Closed Thread