It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• starburst complications at night almost three months after surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
    nowayman
    (male)

nowayman HB User
    starburst complications at night almost three months after surgery

I had lasik surgery performed by a surgeon with plenty of personal recommendations. I was nearly -10 with high astigmatism and was qualified by two surgeons. my surgeon told me that he would purposely undercorrect me because he expected regression to occur because of my prescription and that an enhancement would be in the works by month 3.

fast forward to now I have been tested at 20/20 with the eye chart even with some residual prescription and am handling my dry eyes pretty well. however the biggest issue I am facing is driving at night especially the headlights and streetlights appearing out of focus and bigger than they actually are. I believe these are called starburst but the pictures online aren't exactly the same as what I see. I have used alphagen with some success but can't deal with the drowsiness that occurs especially when I am driving. if anything the alphagen only masks temporarily on how bad my nighttime vision is without it. i can't honestly say if this complication has gotten worse or better since day three but it isn't manageable without the alphagen.

I also noticed that glare from when the sunlight hits cars appears bigger and brighter than before surgery.

that being said i only realized after the surgery htat my surgeon performed conventional lasik procedure on me and due to me seeing 20/20 he'll only perform an enhancement on me at 6 months now. this is definitely a curveball I did not expect so I am seeking other opinions.

I have gotten some second hand advice from other doctors regarding custom refinement enhancement which is basically a custom procedure on top of my current one. I am unsure if that means Prk as it is working on the surface cornea itself rather than lifting the flap but I believe a lifting flap is also an option.

of course I rather do this earlier than later and would ideally if needed lift up the flap rather than create a new one (ugh). has anyone else gone through this as well and what options did you end up pursuing?

specifically have you done a procedure to just treat your complications? and did you have to go through the same regiment (antibiotics, steroid drops etc.)

Last edited by nowayman; 01-19-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2015, 01:16 AM   #2
    HenrietT
    (female)

HenrietT HB User
    Re: starburst complications at night almost three months after surgery

Hi Nowayman
    I've been told that after my enhancement of LASIK or LASEK if they can't lift the flap that I will need the same drops after the surgery as I had the first time.
    I also had 20/20 vision according to them! so that is why I am having enhancement 6 months on I suppose. I know the diffeence will be extremely minimal but hopefully six months down the road I will have the satisfaction of knowing that I have done all that is possible to get the best out of my eyesight.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:17 AM   #3
    HenrietT
    (female)

HenrietT HB User

Hi Nowayman
    I've been told that after my enhancement of LASIK or LASEK if they can't lift the flap that I will need the same drops after the surgery as I had the first time.
    I also had 20/20 vision according to them! so that is why I am having enhancement 6 months on I suppose. I know the diffeence will be extremely minimal but hopefully six months down the road I will have the satisfaction of knowing that I have done all that is possible to get the best out of my eyesight.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
    nowayman
    (male)

nowayman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HenriettaT View Post
    Hi Nowayman
    yeah that's why i'm a bit dubious of the 6 month mark (since many people seem to have their flap "sealed" by then). recutting the flap sounds awful to me even if surface treatment will take longer to recover.

Closed Thread

Tags
    complications, starbursts